• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long should a lanced gum abscess drain for??

M

MomToFive

About 3 weeks ago I got a bad toothache out of nowhere. Tried to tough it out but ended up going to the dentist, for the first time in years. X rays were done, no infection was seen. But the tooth that hurt had some bone loss. I got antibiotics, finished them. The tooth stopped hurting as much but still hurt. A week later I woke up with a huge, painful pus filled bump on my upper gum on the right side, between the tooth that hurt and the one next to it.

Went back to dentist. More x rays. This time diagnosed with a perio abcess. So it got lanced, then teeth and pockets flushed, antibiotic sprayed in there and Done.

it will be 2 weeks since it was lanced on Monday, and it’s STILL draining pus. The swelling has gone, but where it was cut still has a small opening that continues to drain. Is this normal?

I called the office, they said it can be normal, but to come back Monday if it’s not better. It was also suggested it might be coming from my sinus??!! As I had just gotten over a bad flu a couple weeks before the toothache.

So needless to say my anxiety is through the roof and I’m traumatized. My first time back to the dentists has been horrible. Can anyone tell me how long a gum abscess takes to drain?? Can this still be normal instead of something terrible? Thank you!

It's still draining because the source of the infection hasn't been dealt with... the pocket needs further cleaning out at least.

To be honest, once a periodontal abscess gets to this stage, the outlook for the tooth is not great.

It's still draining because the source of the infection hasn't been dealt with... the pocket needs further cleaning out at least.

To be honest, once a periodontal abscess gets to this stage, the outlook for the tooth is not great.

When it was lanced the dentist cut my gum and cleaned all around it with what I think was an ultrasonic cleaner if I remember correctly. Does it need more than that? I am calling tomorrow to go back in. What will likely happen next?

It'll probably need further cleaning out at least, with fine hand tools and the sonic thing some more. Beyond that it's hard to say without seeing you and some x-rays.

Back