• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How old were you when your phobia started?

How old were you when your dental phobia started?

• 5 years old and under

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • 6-12 years old

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • 13-18 years old

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • 19-30 years old

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 31-50 years old

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 51 years or older

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other: I can’t remember/I’m not sure

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have always thought that the majority of dental phobics became phobic in their younger years but is this really the case? I am curious to see what other members have to say!

This is interesting Kit Kat. 10ish is the youngest I remember but I used to be sedated before that and don't remember much. I DEFINATELY remember my awful childhood dentist from 10-15 and equally awful ortho after him .

I don’t ever remember not being afraid but I was told my first appointment went TERRIBLY and my mother was surprised the office let us come back (I was probably about 3 years old at that time...I don’t remember the appointment). All I have been told was that I was upset and cried the entire time and eventually threw up everywhere! :redface: It was a pediatric dentist but they didn’t have the best reputation. We stayed there a few years and I don’t remember them ever being mean or unkind or hurting me but I was never comfortable or felt at ease there. I had a lot of work done there, multiple crowns/fillings/extractions-I can only remember small bits and pieces but none of the memories strike me as being traumatizing. I was only given nitrous once for extractions there which I kind of remember. I also remember fighting a hygienist who wanted to put sealants on my teeth and she actually took me over to watch somebody else doing it so that I wouldn’t be scared so, I don’t think they were the worst people. Then we changed dentists about every 6 months for a few years (I think there were insurance issues :confused: but those are all just a blur) and then we landed at a chain dentist where thankfully, I never had any work done besides cleanings/sealants but they had horrible hygienists and the cleanings were quite uncomfortable. Again, they were never mean but they weren’t super nice either and they definitely were not gentle in the least which majorly reinforced my fears. They never showed any concern for my comfort or tried to reassure me. We were there til I was 15 and changed to my current dentist. My fears were slowly/gradually escalating over time and so by the time I reached my current dentist, my anxiety reached an all time high and suddenly, I was having much more trouble getting myself through the door. To add insult to injury, I was also suddenly faced with a lot of dental work for the first time in many years (many fillings and all 4 wisdom teeth needed to come out) so I think I was very overwhelmed and that was sorta my breaking point where I was pretty much refusing to go. So I would say that I’ve always been fearful/anxious but my peak was at 15...that was my worst of days when I was absolutely terrified of going.

I wasn't afraid until I was around 8 and had to have baby teeth pulled to make room for permanent teeth coming through. Horrible experiences with that dentist. I had most of my baby teeth pulled, and four permanent teeth pulled by that dentist. He was a friend of my parents, and they went to him until he retired this past year. Of course, they never had more than a filling done by him.

I have always been to the dentist, my phobia was probably in my 20s when I dreaded going all the time, I think my childhood dentist when I was growing up did not help, she was known as the wicked witch of the west, bless her.

In my teens I think, was more aware at that age of my poor Mum being terrified. Strangely she’s fine now and I’m a wreck! ?

Plus I had braces in my teens. If anyone ever comes at me with an impression tray again I’ll kick off!!! I’m scared these days of having to have work that requires impressions. I’ll be off like a shot!

I used to HATE impressions too!! with a passion.. always needed to do so many because of small mouth big gag reflux. until my last dentist when I needed some impressions for my implant I felt like sooo nevous..aghh. then Him and the assistant stayed with me the entire time and took turns distracting me with jokes and helping to rememer to breath and sayin "you got this almost there , making me laugh.. I actually got through my impressions the first time.. it was amazing. usually one shoves the goop in your mouth and leaves and I panic and just can't stop thinking of the goop in my mouth and the secondes for it to come out.. now I've done a few in one shot but .. still have done a few with a few more times but I think about that first time every time I do it and it gives me hope.

Mine started as a young kid (maybe 4). One of the neighborhood kids tackled me and lodged my front teeth into a wooden step (I was actually stuck!)

The one central incisor died and required extensive dental work to save the tooth but I had a grey tooth that all the other kids made fun of for years until my permanent teeth came in.

Going to the dentist so young and having kids make fun of me made me never want to even touch my mouth. I ended up with tons and tons of cavities and would see the dentist 5-6 times a year until I was 18. I had another dentist do about 15 “preventative” fillings when I was 17 and then sort of made me want to stop seeing the dentist. Another dentist told me they were likely unnecessary because they were so tiny but all of these fillings ended up with subsequent decay underneath within a few years.

I was terrified as a child when I was aged 11. I had a horrible dentist who shouted at me and the nurse held me to the chair so I could not get away. I am not terrified now. The only thing that bothers me now is when I go for a check up because I worry that they are going to find all sorts of things wrong with my teeth, but as far as any treatment is concerned, it does not bother me

Last edited:
As a kid I saw a pedodontist. I guess she was ok, but looking back I would say she was bad at managing my fear. Instead of working with me and telling me they would split my filings in multiple appointments to help me cope, she would simply tell my mom this and leave me think I was doing the regular stuff. When I would start to panic, I remember that she seemed to also panic and all they did to help me calm down was tell me to breath. Thankfully she worked fast and I was able to get to the end.

My phobia reached it’s high when I saw a new dentist after moving out of town after graduating and he tried to fix multiple (4) cavities in one sitting. Where I used to panic would be closed to the end so it was manageable to get to the end of treatment. But I ended up having a full blown panic attack.

Now I see a dentist who’s a dental anesthesiologist. I’m hoping to get the courage to get back at getting treated by a regular dentist without needing GA or other sedation. Sometimes I think about it, but I’m too scared. However, I seem to be ok for a checkup or a cleaning appointment.

Geos love that you know what works for you and willing to wait for the right time to get treated wtihout sedation although you desire to try it w regular dentist. You seem to really gave great awareness and wisdom about your dental care.

As a kid I absolutely loved the dentist and orthodontist. Then one day it was like flipping a switch. I had a random panic attack when I went into the exam room. Haven't been back since; that was 4 years ago. I was 17. Still no clue what caused it.

I had a bad dentist as a kid which started it. Things got a bit better but then when I was in my late teens it all came back again, I think because of a bad experience with wisdom teeth. Became worse again after a filling in said wisdom tooth and now it's at the point where I want the current major issue/pain/worry dealt with and I never want to go ever again (even though I need a filling)

I was very young. I think that my fear appeared when I went to a dental office with my mother when I was about 5 years old.

Back