• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How to tell the difference between absess and ulcer

K

Katie7730

Hi, I had a root canal completed on Tuesday (8th december). The dentist was pleased with the result and said the infection was clearing.
On Friday I started to notice a bump appearing at the bottom of the gums directly below root canal tooth.
To me it looks like an ulcer, is this common? How would I know if it’s an absess? I have tried to take a photo but it’s a back molar and the quality is really poor.
I never had any open absess on the gum before or anything like that.
There is no pain coming from the tooth.
Wondering whether to call but I mentally cannot do it at the moment .
I have been in there 5 times in a month and can’t face it

I had something similar pop up on one of my rct. It was an ulcer caused by some tissue damage caused during the procedure. I was convinced it was an abscess, but like your dentist, mine said it was an injury/ulcer. Cleared up in around a week. Was painful though when i used my night guard.

I had something similar pop up on one of my rct. It was an ulcer caused by some tissue damage caused during the procedure. I was convinced it was an abscess, but like your dentist, mine said it was an injury/ulcer. Cleared up in around a week. Was painful though when i used my night guard.

Hope it’s an ulcer and will clear up. I’ve not shown the dentist it yet . Tbh I can’t afford any more dental visits at the moment after all this. I’ve spent about £1,300 this month in that place. And I need to get the crown in the new year.

I had an abscess a few years ago, I could tell by the taste and feeling in my mouth, as I had an abscess in 2006 with the similar taste and feeling, and pain.

I had an abscess a few years ago, I could tell by the taste and feeling in my mouth, as I had an abscess in 2006 with the similar taste and feeling, and pain.

I’ve never had an absess like out on the gum. The infection was in my tooth only inside it. So before Friday there was nothing on my gum at all . That’s why I’m not sure if it’s ulcer or if it’s an issue with the root canal

Is it located near where you got a shot? Or where the dental dam was placed (if you had one)? I get an ulcer every time I have shots, right at the injection site.

Is it located near where you got a shot? Or where the dental dam was placed (if you had one)? I get an ulcer every time I have shots, right at the injection site.

It’s right down where the gum meets the soft piece (in the soft piece) and directly below the root canal tooth.
It could be where I got injections. I just remember an injection right at the back but she did give me some round the tooth. I was trying not to run away I think ??
I’ve just never had anything like this even from injections but it could be that for sure . So sore!

It’s right down where the gum meets the soft piece (in the soft piece) and directly below the root canal tooth.
It could be where I got injections. I just remember an injection right at the back but she did give me some round the tooth. I was trying not to run away I think ??
I’ve just never had anything like this even from injections but it could be that for sure . So sore!
They hurt like crazy. My gums are apparently sensitive and I get them almost every single time, mostly in the areas you described, right where the soft part meets the bony part. Always from an injection. If it is, it should get better in about a week. Try rinsing with warm salt water.

Back