• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I’d love some advise please as I need surgery

N

NAMI

Hello!
I’m looking for a little advice as since visiting the dentist I’ve been unable to sleep with worry.
My front tooth ached a little over Christmas. I’m having organ surgery on 27th January so I saw my dentist to check everything over.
She did an x ray, multiple tests, tapped it, sprayed cold air onto it. The only thing that caused a reaction was the tap - it wasn’t agony, just sensitive?
The X-ray showed nothing - no infection, no cavities, chips or cracks. Phewf! Only she told me the conclusion was my tooth was dying and will die because that’s what pain from a tap meant but nothing could be done at that moment as there was nothing to treat.
I was shocked and left and now I’m just wondering if this is the actual conclusion or if it could be as simple as it hurting because I was grinding in my sleep since it’s ‘clinically sound’
Also what are the chances of this staying stable until after my surgery? It doesn’t hurt at all anymore but if I tap it it’s a little sensitive.

thank you so much for reading this
Ami

I am not a dentist but I have had some experience with dying nerves. If I were you, I would get a second opinion!

I know everyone is different but I have lost three teeth to the nerve dying and all three have been different. The only one that did not show up on an X-ray with an infection was also the only one that did not hurt when tapped. It had a crack, though. The teeth were extremely sensitive to heat and cold.

Did you feel anything when she applied cold air? Does the tooth still have the ability to feel heat and cold?

I had a weird sensitive feeling in a front tooth last week and our wonderful resident dentist Gordon suggested it could be due to clenching and grinding as the front teeth only have 1 root so don't tolerate it as well as bigger ones do. It could well be thats what's happening for you.

You could try.some sensitive toothpaste to see if that helps any - put some on your finger and rub it on the tooth at night before bed and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I'd get a second opinion to be honest.

Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately going to another dentist is now impossible due to current covid situation and having to isolate pre surgery.
There is no pain when exposed to hot/cold. There are no chips, cracks, cavity’s etc and it doesn’t hurt just as it is. It simply is sensitive when tapped.
I suppose I’m hoping she is just wrong and it won’t die.

I think it's a stretch to say that it definitely will die given the symptoms, it does sound like it could be due to grinding/clenching, we're all a bit stressed at the moment and presumably you're a bit extra stressed with your op coming up. You're not a nail biter or anything like that are you?

Thank you so much Gordon for taking the time to reply to me, it’s so so appreciated. I don’t bite nails or anything like that. However I am very stressed, according to my husband I grind my teeth at night. Do you think the pain when tapped could simply be that then? When I say pain I mean it’s but like ‘ouch’ but certainly not agony, long lasting pain or anything. I suppose I could describe as the same feeling as when you get something cold on a sensitive tooth, a quick ouch and over. I’ve been rubbing sensodyne toothpaste into it and I think I’ll invest in a mouth guard too. Thank you again x

If that tooth is slightly "proud" of the rest when you bite then that would certainly give rise to the symptoms you describe. Definitely worth a try with the mouthguard.
It's easy to say "destress" but somewhat more difficult to put into practice, but if there is anything you can do to lower your stress levels, then it would help!

Thank you Gordon! I really appreciate your response. I said to my husband I really hope he responds because we really helped my anxiety when I had a molar pulled two years ago. I hope you are keeping as well and as safe as you can do during these times x

I'm fine thanks, living here in the Highlands it's not difficult to isolate! I do miss seeing my kids and my grandson though, I've not seen my younger son since July!

Oh goodness I bet that is hard, I’m sorry to hear it. Hopefully we will get this vaccine soon and you’ll be reunited soon x

One advantage to being a relatively old git, I'll get the vaccine fairly soon. My older son (ICU doctor) has had it already, no ill effects at all.

That’s brilliant news!!! I bet you can’t wait!
I’ve had my surgery cancelled today due to ICU demand. Knew it was coming but still Gutted however at least I know it’ll happen eventually!

My older son was saying they cancelled all elective operations at his hospital last week. He also got called in at short notice to work on Sunday night. Things are pretty scary out there.

Hope you get your operation soon.

Apologies Gordon, I thought I had replied to this, we were out walking the dogs when you responded and I forgot. You are right, things are scary. Thank god for people like your son who is still going and still caring. Where would we be without our wonderful NHS? I dread to think!!
My tooth is still hurting to tap with my finger nail (but not my finger weirdly)!and my husband recons I just need to stop tapping it haha obviously I’m convinced that it’s going to die and be agony so I’m just trying to not tap and hope for the best now since I assume with no cavity to fix and no infection they will just want to wait and see anyway.
Thank you again from one anxious scared women for being be available and when you speak to your son, let him know somewhere in Lincolnshire there is a family playing by all the rules and are so very grateful for his hard work x

No worries, glad to chat with another dog owner :)
You can probably apply a little more direct force with the nail than the softer bit of your finger if you see what I mean. I also hate to say it, but your husband is right :)

Oh I know he is but I won’t tell him that one haha
I’m always happy to chat dogs!! What do you have? - we have two 11 year old spaniels that we’ve had since they were 7 weeks old. Keeps is busy!!

I have a 10 year old and 7 year old Golden Retrievers. Uncle and niece. Poppy is the boss, despite being about 15kg lighter and smaller than Uncle Benton.

As you say, keeps us busy. We're lucky to live in a very rural area with a quiet little beach just down the lane, so we've always got good walks on our doorstep.

My husband had terrible pain in his teeth on the one side. Was sure he needed a root canal. Went to the dentist. They were fine. But he was grinding his teeth a lot and his bite was all wrong. So they fixed his bite and everything is fine now. We are in the United States and things here are very stressful on all fronts. Covid. Politics. And sadly also within our own family. My sister has been diagnosed with cancer at 45. So we are carrying so much stress right. Get the night guard. They help so much

My husband had terrible pain in his teeth on the one side. Was sure he needed a root canal. Went to the dentist. They were fine. But he was grinding his teeth a lot and his bite was all wrong. So they fixed his bite and everything is fine now. We are in the United States and things here are very stressful on all fronts. Covid. Politics. And sadly also within our own family. My sister has been diagnosed with cancer at 45. So we are carrying so much stress right. Get the night guard. They help so much
So sorry to hear about your sister. Sending love and good wishes to you all xx

Thank you so much, I am sorry for your troubles. Please do take care! I’ve still got pain but trying not to tap it and I’ve got a night guard so here’s hoping! Take care x

Back