• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I am getting very scared over a root canal

X

xgmodgodx

So I just want to say my whole story if anyone has advice.

I went to a new dentist recently and she was very rough(not like my old dentist) and I think she messed up on one of my fillings and afterwards it was very sensitive to extreme temperatures but I thought it was just a side effect of the filling so I didn't worry about it. A few days before X-mas I decided that I was going to brush my teeth at least once a day(I previously didn't brush them very often at all, maybe once a week) so about 4 days in I noticed the tooth that was sensitive to cold started to hurt with pressure and I got nervous so I told my mom about it and asked her to get a dentist appointment but it was holidays and NO dentist was open to see me anywhere until the next Monday so I decided not to brush as often and be very gentle on my teeth. Then my tooth started to throb and it was so painful every time I laid my head down or touched it, it ached terribly. So I started to take painkillers (Ibuprofen and Tramadol) as often as I could to stop the pain and started trying a few remedies for tooth aches like rinsing my mouth with warm salt water and putting a warm cotton ball with salt and baking powder up on the gum and it helped a little. On X-mas eve the tooth was no longer sensitive to hot or cold and I was a little relieved but then read that this may mean my tooth's nerves are dead!! My mom started to give my antibiotics (Amoxicillin I think) and it felt like the pain was clearing up after those its still a little sensitive to touch but not even painful. From what I've read I think its only a matter of time until I have a root canal done and I've heard that these are extremely dangerous in the future because they can infect your body and cause all sorts of problems in your body its my left front tooth on the top so I don't know if I should have it pulled or have a root canal treatment.

I'm so nervous about this I almost felt like I was going to throw up
Does anyone think something else is the cause of this? Can anyone with experience explain the dangers or the good things about root canals? My tooth doesn't hurt right now but I'm sure if it is left it will destroy the underlying bone and I don't think I can take any surgery like that. The wait is killing me until Monday I have no idea what will happen and I'm so terrified of the root canal because of the stuff holistic dentist say the root canal treatment can do to your body afterwards.

I also read up on a treatment called Padma Basic, it was worth looking into although I don't know if it can help me. Does anyone know anything about this herbal treatment?

Last edited:
First off as someone suffering with severe anxitity disorder and ocd my first piece of advice is to calm down and stop looking things up on google. On the one hand its a good tool to get an idea of possabilities but on the other hand its far to eazy for you to work yourself up into a panic over somthing that might not happen at all.

We are not doctors. We dont have the training or experence to dignose ourselves and we should leave that to those who train for years and have years of experence with this very sort of thing to inform us just exactley what is going on in our own individual case.

For all you know your problem could simply a filling thats too high up and causing all sorts of issues. All u would need them is for them to adjust the filling and that could be thw end of it. They might not even require a shot for
It depending on where the filling is.

Also i wouldent put too much faith in holestic doctors as while yes
They have some good ideas but from what i gather they have as good of a track record as voodoo men and whitch doctors.

Back centuries ago when they was all you had they served there purpose well but today we live in an age of well established science and technology with standard dental knowledge going back decades if not centuries honed and refind to be as quick and painless and effective as possable.

Billions of people right now have multiple silver and white fillings
Crowns and root canaled teeth and the majority of them are working just finw in there mouth having no effect on there lives unless somthing is wrong with them and evwn if there is it can be fixed one way or another.

This idea of it disrupting chi flows or what ever hippy nonsense is more hype and speculation then hard fact science and reality. If you listened to half of these so called holestic doctors you would probley be drinking some crazy juice for all your meals and channeling spirits through magic crystals to heal everything from
A toothache to cancer.

Im not saying modern medicen is perfect or knows everything but it has a dam good track record and i find it very hard to believe when the majority of dentists say silver fillings and floride are safe and that there is no concernable side effects of the two and yet someone out of the blue says docfrent dispite mounds of evidence to the contray, i find them a bit hard to believe.

So in closing my advice is to stop googling things that could be, find yourself a dentist you can trust and go from there and i wish you the best.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I don't know about the holistic stuff but I do know about having a rct done. You have nothing to fear from this procedure.

Like Yourbigpalal83 has said you need to find a dentist that you feel comfortable with and one that will be gentle with your mouth.
If you need a rct, and you don't know yet if you do, it isn't as bad as some people think. I would rather have a rct than a filling. You will be totally numbed and won't feel anything at all. Once you are numb they can test you to make sure that you are, if you feel anything at all let them know. Arrange a stop signal before they start so you can let them know if you need a break or anything. They will put on a dental dam which covers your mouth and is on a frame, this does not hurt and you can breath and swallow as normal. This is to isolate the tooth and to keep the area being worked on dry and clean. There is very little drilling then they use hand files to clean out the root or roots. They take an x ray to make sure that this has been done enough. They will then put a dressing and a bit of temp filling in and arrange for you to return for the rct to be finished. That is if they are doing it in two visits, if they are doing it in one they will fill the roots and put a perm filling in. They will decide if the tooth needs a crown which they will usually put on a few months after if needed.

You may feel a bit of discomfort after but nothing that pain meds won't sort out. I didn't need any but if anyone does need them then it is best to use them.

Good luck for Monday :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Don't listen to holistic doctors and dentists. They're all idiots

thanks for all your support, I got some good news. Im going to a new dentist and he was very nice. He said he was going to give me a anti-anxiety pill before I came into the office and it is supposed to help me relax plus I was worried about the RCT because I thought it was performed differently, but apparently its only going to take 1 small hole so im very happy its not as bad as I thought. I kept the infection down early with antibiotics so its been mostly pain free. Thank you for all the support! :)

Back