• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I am soooo scared about this Friday, Wisdom tooth Friday!

J

joni-lou-who

So, I finally think I found a nice female dentist that will help me. I was abused by a dentist when I was a kid, and my fear just grew and grew. Once I turned 18, my mother, who doesn't have a clue what this guy did to me, cant make me go anymore, so I don't for years. Then my front tooth broke. I go to this new guy, and I am petrified. He thought my teeth were discusting and he didn't even want to fix it. He fixes it, then 6 months later, it breaks again. I find a female dentist who I like. She fixes my tooth but also says I need my wisdom teeth out. They don't hurt, so I file that in the back of my head. My tooth breaks again 5 years later. I go to go back to her and she is on Maternity leave so I wait not smiling at anyone hiding my teeth all the time. I phone when I think she might be back, and she moved away! Massive depression.now lots of time later, my teeth are hurting out of my head. I find another female dentist and here is her verdict from last week. I have 7 teeth to come out, infections,massive bone loss. So Friday, I have a date with laughing gas and bye bye to 7 teeth. My husband thinks taking out 7 teeth at once is too much for me. I am sooooooo scared. What is laughing gas like? Am I going to be okay! This is just a start as my other teeth need extreme cleaning and I want my front tooth fixed! Someone please give me some words of encouragement! Thanks!

Hi, joni-lou-who, let me first tell you that I'll be thinking of you on Friday as you have your appointment, you can count on me for support :friends:! I can relate to what it's like to be abused :censored: and betrayed :lonely: by someone you trust or take simply as-is.

Are you having all 7 of your teeth extracted in a single appointment? Can nothing else be done to fix them? Is it an emergency? Like your husband said, maybe that is a bit too much, considering also that you have severe infections and bone loss. Could you ask your dentist to have it done in several appointments (if that's OK for you)? During that time the sockets can heal.

Does your dentist know that you're scared? Well, I'm not the best person to talk about this, as I'm too embarrased to tell my dentist that I'm afraid (but she's picked up the signals :)) ... but you did find someone who's willing to help you (so thumbs up!), who seems to be nice and would probably listen to you. After all, it's about your oral health (!) and most dentists are caring.

I don't know about the laughing gas, never had it, but I think you'll be alright :clover: and hope this helped! Fingers crossed for tomorrow, I hope everything turns out OK! Tell us how it goes!

So sorry to hear about your situation, Katarina.

BUT, I'm super proud of you for finding a dentist and having the courage to start having your teeth taken care of again. As a phobic, it's pretty certain that you'll never be completely "ready" for a dental appointment, but you should be sure to talk to your dentist a lot about what to expect and how you'll feel, etc. Lots of people have multiple teeth extracted in a single visit and have found it pretty easy. So, there's probably no physical reason to not get it all done at once. I'll assume your husband's objection is just that it will be too emotionally draining for you. Just remember, if your dentist gets started and you're having trouble handling it, you can ALWAYS tell your dentist to stop. So, if you're ready to get started, I'd recommend just proceeding, and ask your dentist to check with you as she goes along.

Laughing gas is pretty mellow. You'll have a little tube in your nose that will blow what feels like cool air, and it just helps to calm you down. You probably won't really notice anything-- it doesn't knock you out or make you feel "high" (usually)... just focus on breathing deep, and let it do its thing. Your dentist will still give you local anesthetic (i.e. "novocaine" although actually it's a newer -caine cousin) to numb your nerves so you don't feel any pain during the procedure.

Most people are surprised at how easy extractions are. It's nothing like the image you have of someone tugging and pulling. Actually, the dentist will push on the tooth to rock it slightly from side to side. This causes the ligaments to release their hold on the tooth, and usually, it almost falls right out on its own, without any pulling. The sensation is a pretty strong push that you almost have to lean into a little, but there's no pain involved. Many people like to bring some headphones to play music to distract them a little-- that and focusing on your breathing will get you through. It only takes a couple of minutes to extract a tooth.

I was terrified when I had a molar extracted last year, but actually, after they got me good and numb, my dentist pushed five or six times, and then said, "And that's it!" I didn't feel any pain, not even a tiny bit, and I didn't have any sensation of anything coming out. When they sat me up and told me to go home I thought something had gone wrong! But my dentist said, "That's it, you're done!" It all took maybe 10 minutes.

You'll want to plan on soft foods only (applesauce, yogurt, pudding) for the first 48 hours or so, and no smoking or using a straw. You'll also want to rinse very gently with warm salt water a few times a day to speed healing. And take some ibuprofen as soon as you get home, before the anesthetic wears off.

Good luck and hopefully you get some more good extraction stories from others on here who've had multiples. You'll certainly be tired from all the stress and anxiety leading up to it, but I think you'll be surprised at how easy and painless it is. Good luck!

I'm back! I did it! I had the nitrous oxide and my 7 bad teeth removed! Here I sit on the couch at home face still in frozen mode. I can feel a huge headache coming on, though. I still cant believe I got the courage after all this time. This new female dentist is an angel sent from heaven for me. Now I will have the guts to get my teeth cleaned and my front tooth fixed. This is so huge for me. My husband is so happy for me! I wouldn't even talk about anything to do with teeth to him or anyone for that matter. As for having the laughing gas, I felt like I was totally stinking drunk! I didn't care about anything! I know my fear will never ever go away totally, but today I am proud of me! Get me a chocolate milkshake! It won't bother my teeth now!
ed

I'm back! I did it! I had the nitrous oxide and my 7 bad teeth removed! Here I sit on the couch at home face still in frozen mode. I can feel a huge headache coming on, though. I still cant believe I got the courage after all this time. This new female dentist is an angel sent from heaven for me. Now I will have the guts to get my teeth cleaned and my front tooth fixed. This is so huge for me. My husband is so happy for me! I wouldn't even talk about anything to do with teeth to him or anyone for that matter. As for having the laughing gas, I felt like I was totally stinking drunk! I didn't care about anything! I know my fear will never ever go away totally, but today I am proud of me! Get me a chocolate milkshake! It won't bother my teeth now!
ed
I bet you feel proud and you deserve to, heres' to a healthy and quick recovery. I'm having a bottom wisdom tooth out April 27th with IV sedation,thanks to this forum, I am feeling braver about being able to get it done.

All the best to you catnut. I am thinking of you on the 27th!

Congrats and :respect: , joni-lou-who!! Having 7 teeth extracted in a single appointment, that's something! Hope the pain isn't that bad and that it won't last long! Do you know already about the future procedures, are you getting implants or dentures? Enjoy your chocolate milkshake - like catnut sait, here's to a healthy recovery!

Hi Katrina. The pain acually isn't that bad. When I woke up this morning, I just felt like I had a really bad hangover. I took a Tylenol 3, and I felt darn good after that. I think maybe the infected teeth were more painful . My wonderful new dentist(wonderful dentist, I said that?) said I am not a candidate for implants because I have too much bone loss on my left top side. I had all wisdoms out, next 2 teeth on left top, and 1 on top right. For as long As I can remember, I have always chewed on my right side. So this should work in my favor. When I smile, you can't see any missing teeth, either. That laughing gas is sure wild. Do you know I can't remember her taking out my 2 bottom wisdom teeth? Having got through yesterday, I just feel like a big weight Has been lifted off my shoulders. I am still scared though!

Back