• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I had a toothache and dentist gave me a temporary filling, 3 weeks later it hurts again.

D

dandydon

I had a toothache and dentist gave me a temporary filling, 3 weeks later it hurts again.

So I went to the dentist 3 weeks ago and told him I had a toothache. He ran some x-rays and said it would be extremely close between needing a filling or a root canal. He said he would like to try a temporary filling to see how it holds up and to come back in 2 months.

It felt fine for about 3 weeks until yesterday when I began filling pain in the tooth with the temporary filling. Is this normal? Is the temporary filling failing? I looked in the mirror and still see the filling in there but it does seem to feel a little thinner since I always rub my tongue on it and brush it.

I really REALLY don't want to spend thousands on a root canal. It's the #5 tooth. I was thinking of just pulling it because $2000 is a lot of money.

Re: I had a toothache and dentist gave me a temporary filling, 3 weeks later it hurts again.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

The temp filling is a good idea and it lets the dentist know if a filling is likely to work, if you are getting pain again it probably means that a rct is the way to go. I think it was good of your dentist to try this first rather than going for a rct first. It may well have been fine with a filling in which case it would have saved you the money for a rct.

Until you go back and see your dentist and they can have a look you won't know, if you are getting pain then I would go back and see them.

It is up to you whether or not to have a rct, do you feel you would be okay about losing a tooth and how would the gap be filled. There are choices whatever you decide, you could always leave a gap if it wouldn't bother you, it also depends where the tooth is. A lot of time if it is a back tooth a lot of people can manage with a gap.

Go back and see the dentist and see what they advise.

I would always choose to keep my teeth, but everyone is different and we all have to make our own decisions.

Good luck, let us know how you get on please :butterfly:

Back