• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I know that I have to go to the dentist, but I can't even call there

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sam_
  • Start date Start date
S

Sam_

Junior member
Joined
Jun 2, 2025
Messages
1
Location
Austria
Hi!

I'm 21 and I always struggled with my teeth. Already when I was 4 I had my first cavities (not my fault obv).

From there, it didn't really get better. Struggles with mental health and the situation at home made me lose my first adult tooth at the age of 12. I haven't seen a dentist until the age of 17 out of fear. And boom. 10 more cavities. Got them all fixed, but never went back after that.

In the meantime, I kept strugglin with my mental health and taking care of my teeth. I know they were in bad shape back then and they are even worse today.

But even just thinking about calling there brings me to panic attacks. I know how hard it is to go there. The panic. The physical symptoms that I can't stop. That just rule my day. But I really have to.

Anyone got any ideas how I could potentially at least make it to call there as a first step? I know that once I have an appointment, I am unlikely to not go.
 
I get anxiety about phoning the dentist too. I put off going until I was in absolute agony. I ended up walking into the dentist and getting an emergency appointment rather than phoning.
Since then, I email the dentist to ask for appointments. Usually they reply by email. Sometimes they'll phone back, but I'm sure you could request email or text. I wonder if you'd feel safer, or more able to email.
 
Back
Top