• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I Need An Extraction But I'm Too Scared To Do It

I don't know how I'm supposed to do this.

My dentist called this afternoon. He said he would write up the referral with the specific instructions, saying that I must have inhaled general anesthesia. He said I can pick it up at his office tomorrow, and that the place I'm going will give me a consultation and I'm to bring the referral with me when I go.

I got off the phone with my dentist, walked right into the bathroom and started crying and throwing up.

I have been a nervous wreck all day because of this. Part of me is scared that I'll get there and they'll turn around and refuse to give me inhaled anesthesia, or they'll tell me they don't have it for whatever reason even though they already said that they did. Like maybe I wasn't specific enough when I spoke to them about it and they misunderstood or something. And part of me is scared that they will have everything I need and agree to do it my way, and then I'll have to actually go through with it.

I'm just sick at this point. I'm scared to death and it's making me sick.

I wish I could give you a huge hug right now. My children have both needed dental work at age 3, and both times they were seen in a hospital (I'm in the US too). They were given inhaled anesthesia (they put it near their faces while the doctor sang and acted goofy, so the kids really had no idea), no injections of any kind beforehand. They were completely put under and watched over by a anesthesiologist while the dentist worked and did all of the necessary repairs. It was quite amazing, to be honest. My medical insurance covered some of the hospital fees and my dental insurance covered some of the dental part. I also have 2 friends with special needs older children who also seek regular dental care in this way, at a hospital with an anesthesiologist. So it shouldn't be an unusual request. It may differ from state to state, but where I lived, the dental work needed to happen at the local hospital. I really hope this next dentist understands what you need and you aren't left in another very disappointing situation.

After you get these infected painful teeth sorted out, maybe you could go back to that nice caring dentist that you first saw. That might be a good place to start just for super simple basic care like cleanings. Having some really positive exposures would make a huge difference for your dental anxiety, and learning to trust medical professionals again. It has definitely helped me and my dental phobia. That's absolutely awful that you were held down for a blood draw! You definitely need to heal from that :(

I totally get anxiety. I really feel for you. It's awful and can just take over all of your thoughts and lurk there, whispering crap in your ear. Please keep us updated on what happens at the next appointment. My fingers will be crossed for you xx

Thank you. It always helps me feel better when I see a reply from someone on here. ❤

That's actually something I was told during my first consultation is that it can be done at a hospital but that it'll cost more that way. I haven't looked into that yet. Not sure who I would even call at the hospital to set something up like that, or if they would take my insurance. I think I'm saving that as a last resort if I can't find anything else.

I've been given the date of my next consultation. This one is set for December 15th.

I looked into this place online, and supposedly they have everything in one place - oral surgeons, anesthesiologists, all of that, so you don't have to go running around to five hundred different places. From the looks of their website, they go out of their way to help people with anxiety and make them comfortable. They offer super heavy deep sleep sedation and general anesthesia, and according to my friend this is the place to go for inhaled anesthesia. So maybe I finally found the right place.

But thanks to a resurgence of covid in my area, they're putting the stay at home order in place again. So who knows if this place will even be open for me to go to my appointment next week. By rights it should stay open because it's essential care like doctors and hospitals. And yet when my friend needed to get her wisdom teeth removed, her procedure was scheduled for March and didn't happen until May due to the country going into lockdown.

And yet there's a part of me that's like hey, I could have a legitimate excuse to avoid this if the dentist is closed. And that small part of me will feel relieved. But there will always be another part of me that says hey, you hurt and this can turn serious if you don't do something about it as soon as possible... So yeah, still not a good position to be in either way.

Last edited:
I just read through your post and I am so sorry you had to go through that experience as a teen and still deal with it now. Anxiety is awful! People who don’t have it do not understand at all. I had some terrible experiences as a kid at the dentist, and I did have to have dental surgery as a teen (all wisdom teeth were impacted and had to be removed surgically..and I had SIX wisdom teeth!). I was put out for it and it was inhalation as well. I had a needle phobia for years, stemming from being held down for shots as a child, plus having a lot of dental injections as a kid with a dentist who was not gentle. So I understand. My fear has gotten better over the past few years as I have had to have a lot of work done that was unavoidable.

Have you ever tried nitrous oxide? I have gotten to the point where I can tolerate needles without panicking, but nitrous oxide helps a lot. When I had to have a tooth extracted and bone grafting done, the surgeon had to draw blood to do the graft. I was given nitrous at the start of the procedure and when they told me I was going to get blood drawn it did not even really compute. I didn’t feel it at all or think about it. It was kind of like being in a dream.
Anyway, the point is that you need to be proud of the small steps you have already taken. Don’t look at panic attacks as a failure. Look at the fact that you made an appointment as a success. You had a bad experience and are trying again! That is a huge success!

I haven't tried nitrous oxide before. I've never even seen a dentist before until last month. That was my first time. But my problem is that I panic so badly that they can't get near me to give me any kind of sedative like nitrous oxide. And in most cases I'm so hysterical that they don't even try. All they have to do is mention that they want to use needles, and right then I go ballistic before they can even suggest something that might calm me down.

That's what happened when they said they could try giving me the pills so I wouldn't mind them putting an IV in for the anesthesia. I went hysterical, and it was so bad they just backed off and couldn't give me any sedatives because I was losing it so badly before they even tried anything. It would be the same if they suggested nitrous oxide. They would be like, we'll give you this so you won't mind the needle. Then I hear the word needle, start screaming and crying, and they would have to back off again because I honestly lose control so badly that it doesn't stop until they leave me alone.

Not sure if this makes sense, but it's like I need a sedative to calm me down enough that they can give me another sedative for the procedure. Because my fear just flat out refuses to allow needles for any reason, it makes me panic so I can't even take any kind of sedatives to begin with. I can't even reach the next step, or stay calm long enough for them to give me anything. It's that bad.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed this evening. I don't think that I can do this. I don't want to. I really, seriously don't want to do this. I keep thinking about how it'll be if they let me have inhaled anesthesia, and they'll be ready to put the mask on and I'll start fighting them and crying. Because all I can think is that I don't want to, I don't want to, over and over and it doesn't stop. It only gets worse and I've still got until next week, and if it continues to build like this I'm sure I'll lose it and they'll refuse to do anything again. I've already been crying this evening thinking about it. I just don't want to do this at all.

It's all starting to feel so hopeless at this point. Like no matter what I do I'll always be too afraid to have this done. I have to want this or my anxiety won't allow me to have it done. I mean yes, I do want to feel better and stop getting sick all the time, but not enough to say okay, go ahead and do this, I'm comfortable with it now. I don't want it enough, I want all of this to stop and go away. Maybe what I need is for the office to be closed for three months due to covid. Maybe then, after a couple more infections and months of pain and suffering I'll want it bad enough that it'll finally get done. But right now I just don't. I really, really don't. It all seems so horrible that I don't know how I'll ever force myself to do it.

Last edited:
Anxiety is a terrible thing. Take it one day, one hour at a time. The place you're going sounds really promising so please let us know how the consultation goes. As for going to a hospital, I think dentists can "rent" space in a hospital and use the hospital's anesthesiologist, atleast that's what my kid's dentist did. So you'd have to find a dentist who did that I'm guessing. But the all in one place sounds really nice. I wish I had some magical advice on stopping the negative cycle of thinking, but I don't as I'm still trying to figure it out for myself. Just know that I 'get' it and it sucks.

I haven't tried nitrous oxide before. I've never even seen a dentist before until last month. That was my first time. But my problem is that I panic so badly that they can't get near me to give me any kind of sedative like nitrous oxide. And in most cases I'm so hysterical that they don't even try. All they have to do is mention that they want to use needles, and right then I go ballistic before they can even suggest something that might calm me down.

That's what happened when they said they could try giving me the pills so I wouldn't mind them putting an IV in for the anesthesia. I went hysterical, and it was so bad they just backed off and couldn't give me any sedatives because I was losing it so badly before they even tried anything. It would be the same if they suggested nitrous oxide. They would be like, we'll give you this so you won't mind the needle. Then I hear the word needle, start screaming and crying, and they would have to back off again because I honestly lose control so badly that it doesn't stop until they leave me alone.

Not sure if this makes sense, but it's like I need a sedative to calm me down enough that they can give me another sedative for the procedure. Because my fear just flat out refuses to allow needles for any reason, it makes me panic so I can't even take any kind of sedatives to begin with. I can't even reach the next step, or stay calm long enough for them to give me anything. It's that bad.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed this evening. I don't think that I can do this. I don't want to. I really, seriously don't want to do this. I keep thinking about how it'll be if they let me have inhaled anesthesia, and they'll be ready to put the mask on and I'll start fighting them and crying. Because all I can think is that I don't want to, I don't want to, over and over and it doesn't stop. It only gets worse and I've still got until next week, and if it continues to build like this I'm sure I'll lose it and they'll refuse to do anything again. I've already been crying this evening thinking about it. I just don't want to do this at all.

It's all starting to feel so hopeless at this point. Like no matter what I do I'll always be too afraid to have this done. I have to want this or my anxiety won't allow me to have it done. I mean yes, I do want to feel better and stop getting sick all the time, but not enough to say okay, go ahead and do this, I'm comfortable with it now. I don't want it enough, I want all of this to stop and go away. Maybe what I need is for the office to be closed for three months due to covid. Maybe then, after a couple more infections and months of pain and suffering I'll want it bad enough that it'll finally get done. But right now I just don't. I really, really don't. It all seems so horrible that I don't know how I'll ever force myself to do it.

Could you try calling or emailing them and making a specific request that they do not mention needles or IV at all? Tell them that the words themselves trigger a panic attack.
For me, my anxiety and panic is not physical. I just shut down mentally and my heart rate and blood pressure rise drastically. The first time I had to have a tooth extracted as an adult, they took my blood pressure and couldn’t do it until it went down. The surgeon suggested nitrous and it worked great. It basically calms you down. I like it because it doesn’t stay in your system so it only works while you are wearing the mask and breathing it in. It also gives me something to focus on...taking deep breaths in and out to make it work. Then when you are done they switch it to oxygen and you come out of it. No lingering effects. It got me through multiple surgeries. The part of the surgery that is worse for me is the shots. The needles still give me anxiety. Once that is done I relax a little.

I can't, I'm sorry but I can't just call them or email and ask that they not mention needles. Just knowing what'll happen in advance, knowing what it'll lead to in the end makes it too overwhelming and I'll still panic because I already know what's coming. Just reading that suggestion in your post is making me feel panicky right now.

I cannot, I am completely physically, emotionally and mentally unable to cope with needles in any way shape or form. No, absolutely not. I need to step away for a moment because the thought is too much and I'm sorry but like I said, just walking in there and knowing what awaits will make me panic before they even try anything, even if they don't mention needles. I don't want needles. I cannot even attempt anything that will lead to needles. I can't and I won't because it's too much for me. I will panic and have panicked several times in the past and even thrown up over it and I'm sorry but I'm going to have to step away for a moment to try and calm down.

I can't, I'm sorry but I can't just call them or email and ask that they not mention needles. Just knowing what'll happen in advance, knowing what it'll lead to in the end makes it too overwhelming and I'll still panic because I already know what's coming. Just reading that suggestion in your post is making me feel panicky right now.

I cannot, I am completely physically, emotionally and mentally unable to cope with needles in any way shape or form. No, absolutely not. I need to step away for a moment because the thought is too much and I'm sorry but like I said, just walking in there and knowing what awaits will make me panic before they even try anything, even if they don't mention needles. I don't want needles. I cannot even attempt anything that will lead to needles. I can't and I won't because it's too much for me. I will panic and have panicked several times in the past and even thrown up over it and I'm sorry but I'm going to have to step away for a moment to try and calm down.
I am so sorry that I made it worse!? I hope that you can find a way to get through this.

It's alright. Believe me, it's me, not you. You were only trying to be nice and help. You never meant any harm and I know that. Come on now, don't feel so down. We're all in the same boat together here, I think. Or something very similar anyway.

It's alright. Believe me, it's me, not you. You were only trying to be nice and help. You never meant any harm and I know that. Come on now, don't feel so down. We're all in the same boat together here, I think. Or something very similar anyway.

I hope you can find a way to get the extraction done. I have gotten through the worst of my fears now and still have anxiety but it isn’t a phobia so much now. Two years ago I wouldn’t sleep for two days if I knew I had a dental procedure coming up.

I hope you can find a way to get the extraction done. I have gotten through the worst of my fears now and still have anxiety but it isn’t a phobia so much now. Two years ago I wouldn’t sleep for two days if I knew I had a dental procedure coming up.
Iam like that now tbh .... I don't sleep or eat for days before .. constant worry ?. Went to my first appointment in 30 years last Wednesday because my top row are really really bad... Have to get a wisdom tooth out this Wednesday because it's giving me trouble and don't want to have a miserable Xmas , want to enjoy my dinner with the family and not worry about this tooth all over the holidays.... But iam so worried tbh ?..trying to tell myself be confident I can do this , think of Xmas , be strong ... But I'll still starve myself and not sleep ..the curse of dentist anxiety..I know its not gonna go away just like that .....have alot more work to be done in the new year ??..few more extractions , crowns and bridges ?

@Jay45169 I know the feeling. I haven't been able to sleep good for weeks. Not just because of my anxiety, though. That keeps me awake to where I only get a few hours sleep if I'm lucky, and my wisdom tooth on the left side hurts almost constantly now. I've fallen asleep with an ice pack on my cheek three nights in a row now.

I wonder if they'll be able to do this before the end of the year. I don't celebrate Christmas, but I do celebrate the winter solstice. And I think to myself that I probably won't be able to eat any of the special foods for our holiday feast. No matter what I feel like I'm screwed. No matter what, I fear that this will kill me because of my family's problems with anesthesia.

A very good friend of mine tried reassuring me that I'll live through the procedure. Told me how safe anesthesia is nowadays. But I think I've convinced myself that I'm going to die and I can't seem to turn my mind from it. It all still seems so awful, and I know I've said that before, but I just feel like I'm stuck and I still don't want to have this done.

This is also the same friend I mentioned earlier, the one who had her wisdom teeth out in May. We had a long talk about this last night. So far, she's the only one of my friends who actually came forward and told me that I have all her love and support. We write stories for each other, and she said she'll give me a new story when it's over, just to cheer me up.

Bless her, she's such an angel. She was basically trying to talk some sense into me, because I keep telling her that I really don't think I can do this. She doesn't tell me that I have to do it. She gently reassures me that it's not so bad, she does research on what will happen if I don't get this done then tells me about it, which leaves it up to me rather than getting in my face and insisting I have them out. And I know, what she's saying is logical, sensible, definitely the right decision and she has a good point. I absolutely love this young lady, and I can tell that she's concerned. But it's still really hard for me right now.

Last edited:
@Jay45169 I know the feeling. I haven't been able to sleep good for weeks. Not just because of my anxiety, though. That keeps me awake to where I only get a few hours sleep if I'm lucky, and my wisdom tooth on the left side hurts almost constantly now. I've fallen asleep with an ice pack on my cheek three nights in a row now.

I wonder if they'll be able to do this before the end of the year. I don't celebrate Christmas, but I do celebrate the winter solstice. And I think to myself that I probably won't be able to eat any of the special foods for our holiday feast. No matter what I feel like I'm screwed. No matter what, I fear that this will kill me because of my family's problems with anesthesia.

A very good friend of mine tried reassuring me that I'll live through the procedure. Told me how safe anesthesia is nowadays. But I think I've convinced myself that I'm going to die and I can't seem to turn my mind from it. It all still seems so awful, and I know I've said that before, but I just feel like I'm stuck and I still don't want to have this done.

This is also the same friend I mentioned earlier, the one who had her wisdom teeth out in May. We had a long talk about this last night. So far, she's the only one of my friends who actually came forward and told me that I have all her love and support. We write stories for each other, and she said she'll give me a new story when it's over, just to cheer me up.

Bless her, she's such an angel. She was basically trying to talk some sense into me, because I keep telling her that I really don't think I can do this. And I know, what she's saying is logical, sensible, definitely the right decision and she has a good point. I absolutely love this young lady, and I can tell that she's concerned. But it's still really hard for me right now.
I have same thoughts tbh.....tho I Def do not want to be put to sleep for anything ....think iam getting the numbing injection on Wednesday for my wisdom tooth which has a large cavity ,, the fear of feeling anything pain wise is worrying just hope I don't ..... And it all goes quick and easy and iam out the door quick

Just telling myself this needs to be done needs to be done ?...then I can relax over the holidays until next year when the other work starts

You can always chose to have the wisdom teeth removed sedated. It will still require having a dental check-up. Can you think of anything that can help you make you such an appointment?
I highly recommend that you take full sedation if your teeth need removal. I had all four of my wisdom teeth out many years ago and had very little pain or trouble. On the other hand, I had an upper tooth extracted yesterday and it was a drag. I’m like you w/anxiety/panic and I sucks, but I would still go and have a dentist check you out. It’s just a look-see that just might put your mind at rest a little if not a lot. I totally understand what you’re going through. Hugs. ?

Well, guess what. My consultation earlier this week was a complete disaster. I am officially adding this to my "worst experiences" list after the way they treated me, and I will never set foot in any of their facilities ever again. Not that company anyway. Not after that.

Now remember, I called ahead and asked them if they'll provide inhaled general anesthesia. I was very specific about it so they knew exactly what I was asking for. They said yes, but that they would prefer I get a referral from my dentist with special notes and instructions stating why this is necessary. So I did that. I had my dentist write up a referral, fax them a copy, then I got a copy to take with me during the consultation.

I got there for my appointment, and had to wait over an hour just to be seen. Then they took me in and immediately started telling me exactly what they were going to do, not even mentioning the inhaled anesthetic like I requested.

I tried explaining to them that I need inhaled general anesthetic, but evey time I opened my mouth to talk, they kept cutting me off in midsentence, abruptly telling me no, because they had in their mind how it was going to happen and weren't going to listen to anything I had to say.

So I kept at it. I told them about the instructions in my referral, I reminded them about the phone call I made, and how I was told before I made the appointment that they would use the type of anesthesia that I need. I told them that I can't do needles because of my anxiety and panic attacks. This all took several tries to explain, because they kept interrupting me and barely let me finish my sentence.

Finally, I got through to one of them, and they said they'd have to ask the doctor if they had inhaled general anesthetic. They came back and said no, they don't do that, followed by the assistant telling me, "You still get the needle."

At that point I got up and walked right out of there. I could still hear the assistant telling me about needles, telling me it's done by IV sedation and that if I couldn't be there when the IV sedation doctor arrived on Friday I would have to wait for him to come back in January because he only comes by once a month.

I had enough. I had to get out of there. The assistant wouldn't let up about it, and by then I was in the lobby, still listening to her like she thought I was going to do it that way. And all I'm hearing as I'm trying to tell them that I need to call my ride is her asking me when can I come in for IV sedation so she can make the appointment.

I started feeling faint from listening to all this. Her words just all strung together and I couldn't even make out what she was saying. I had to grab onto the counter because I started going down, could barely even stand, couldn't get my words out to tell her to just stop. The next thing I know she shoves an appointment card in my hand, and all I could manage was, "I think I need a minute."

She told me that everyone had gone on lunch break so no one was around to call my ride. They locked the doors during lunch break so I couldn't even leave the building. I just sat down in one of the chairs and cried. And no one seemed to care that I had almost passed out, or that I was crying. One guy came back and proceeded to type away at his computer behind the desk while I was still crying. They acted like I wasn't even there.

Finally, after I had time to calm down, I started getting mad. When one of the girls came back from lunch break, I went over to her and proceeded to tell her what I thought of the place. I told her that I'm seriously ill and on my third round of antibiotics, I need treatment for this sooner rather than later, and that I never would have made an appointment with them if I'd known they were going to lie about having the anesthesia that I need. Because they received a copy of my referral with the instructions before I got there. So they could have called me when they read that and told me not to bother coming in because they didn't have that at their facility. And all the while she just kept clicking her mouse, looking at the computer screen and tuning me out.

And that was my lovely experience. Is it any wonder why I hate dealing with doctors and dentists? It's just the same everlasting bull**** that I always get. I have no faith in these people. No matter where I go it's always the same and I'm really getting tired of it.

Last edited:
Well, guess what. My consultation earlier this week was a complete disaster. I am officially adding this to my "worst experiences" list after the way they treated me, and I will never set foot in any of their facilities ever again. Not that company anyway. Not after that.

Now remember, I called ahead and asked them if they'll provide inhaled general anesthesia. I was very specific about it so they knew exactly what I was asking for. They said yes, but that they would prefer I get a referral from my dentist with special notes and instructions stating why this is necessary. So I did that. I had my dentist write up a referral, fax them a copy, then I got a copy to take with me during the consultation.

I got there for my appointment, and had to wait over an hour just to be seen. Then they took me in and immediately started telling me exactly what they were going to do, not even mentioning the inhaled anesthetic like I requested.

I tried explaining to them that I need inhaled general anesthetic, but evey time I opened my mouth to talk, they kept cutting me off in midsentence, abruptly telling me no, because they had in their mind how it was going to happen and weren't going to listen to anything I had to say.

So I kept at it. I told them about the instructions in my referral, I reminded them about the phone call I made, and how I was told before I made the appointment that they would use the type of anesthesia that I need. I told them that I can't do needles because of my anxiety and panic attacks. This all took several tries to explain, because they kept interrupting me and barely let me finish my sentence.

Finally, I got through to one of them, and they said they'd have to ask the doctor if they had inhaled general anesthetic. They came back and said no, they don't do that, followed by the assistant telling me, "You still get the needle."

At that point I got up and walked right out of there. I could still hear the assistant telling me about needles, telling me it's done by IV sedation and that if I couldn't be there when the IV sedation doctor arrived on Friday I would have to wait for him to come back in January because he only comes by once a month.

I had enough. I had to get out of there. The assistant wouldn't let up about it, and by then I was in the lobby, still listening to her like she thought I was going to do it that way. And all I'm hearing as I'm trying to tell them that I need to call my ride is her asking me when can I come in for IV sedation so she can make the appointment.

I started feeling faint from listening to all this. Her words just all strung together and I couldn't even make out what she was saying. I had to grab onto the counter because I started going down, could barely even stand, couldn't get my words out to tell her to just stop. The next thing I know she shoves an appointment card in my hand, and all I could manage was, "I think I need a minute."

She told me that everyone had gone on lunch break so no one was around to call my ride. They locked the doors during lunch break so I couldn't even leave the building. I just sat down in one of the chairs and cried. And no one seemed to care that I had almost passed out, or that I was crying. One guy came back and proceeded to type away at his computer behind the desk while I was still crying. They acted like I wasn't even there.

Finally, after I had time to calm down, I started getting mad. When one of the girls came back from lunch break, I went over to her and proceeded to tell her what I thought of the place. I told her that I'm seriously ill and on my third round of antibiotics, I need treatment for this sooner rather than later, and that I never would have made an appointment with them if I'd known they were going to lie about having the anesthesia that I need. Because they received a copy of my referral with the instructions before I got there. So they could have called me when they read that and told me not to bother coming in because they didn't have that at their facility. And all the while she just kept clicking her mouse, looking at the computer screen and tuning me out.

And that was my lovely experience. Is it any wonder why I hate dealing with doctors and dentists? It's just the same everlasting bull**** that I always get. I have no faith in these people. No matter where I go it's always the same and I'm really getting tired of it.
Oh my goodness, what an awful experience! I am so sorry you had to deal with that. I can’t believe they treated you like that!

There are surgeons who can be compassionate and work with your needs. I wish you could find one. I just had an extraction today at a new surgeon’s office and I was so worried but they were all incredibly compassionate.
Which state are you in, if you don’t mind sharing?

I don't mind sharing - I live in northern California.

I'm at the point where I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I'm dealing with anxiety constantly now, I can't relax, I can only sleep maybe three hours at a time and I've been crying because it all seems so hopeless.

If I have to force myself to have the treatment with some method I don't want, like general anesthesia through IV, it'll probably be a wasted trip because I'll have another major hysterical crying, screaming panic attack and they'll throw me out again. And I'm on my third round of antibiotics right now. When the infection came back earlier this week, it hit so hard I was having chest pains and trouble breathing. I almost ended up in the emergency room, and I know I can't keep going to the doctor every two weeks for more antibiotics. So every time I make an appointment I waste time not getting the treatment I need, and the infection keeps coming back and I'm afraid that it'll eventually kill me.

I know oral sedation means no needles, not until after they calm you down with medication because they always have to use a local anesthetic in the area they're working on. But they threw me out saying their sedatives weren't strong enough...

Honestly, the people in my family are very sensitive to medications, including myself. My mother took a sleeping pill once and it knocked her out for a good twelve hours. For all I know the oral sedation method might just put me in a deep state of sleep for several hours, but my anxiety is so intense I can't even calm down enough to take the sedative in the first place. I've also been told that adrenaline in a person's body counteracts sedatives and makes it so they aren't very effective. Which is probably why they didn't bother with the sedatives and threw me out because they figured I had too much adrenaline due to my panic attack. It also doesn't help that the idea of being conscious during the procedure adds to my anxiety and is just so horrible and overwhelming that I don't even see that as being possible. Not with my level of anxiety.

I'm just feeling horribly stuck here. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get the treatment I need. This is ruining my life and the overall quality of my health, and the only place I know that might provide inhaled general anesthetic in a hospital setting has a two to three month waiting list, costs well over 2,000 dollars and will require me to sacrifice my third wisdom tooth that never even grew in because the criteria they have for removing them is three or more or they won't accept you as a patient.

Right now I'm waiting on a phone call from another dentist, this place offers general anesthesia and they list it separately from IV sedation on their website. I don't know if that's a good sign or not, but when I called and talked to them, the lady said there's a good chance they can get me what I want. She just wants to double check with the doctor when he comes in today to find out.

Hopefully this will work. If not.... then I just don't know what I'll do if I can't find someone who will provide me with the proper treatment before the infection gets worse. I was told to look for a private practice dentist because they usually have inhaled general anesthetic. Which sounds nice, but I have called more than a dozen places in various towns and I haven't found one who does that yet.

Last edited:
Back