• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need encouragement & advice please

  • Thread starter Thread starter Issy
  • Start date Start date
Valium is something new to me, so it's the fear of the unkown :-/

But Jenny knows what i need & obviously wants to make it as easy for me as possible.

I'll be scared either way. If i take it.i'll be apprehensive coz i'm worried how it'll affect me
But if i don't take it,I'll be feeling terrified for the whole appointment .

So really Valium is a much better option,than being terrified & not getting any treatment done !
 
I'd definatly go to the appointments as they are now.they longer you wait the more anxious you will become. ;)
 
I am gonna go to both Appointments. I'm just so terrified about going [smiley=scared.gif]
 
What are they for? So I can share my expireances from those types of treatments
 
Issy, I would go for both of the appointments together if you can. To my way of thinking it's best to get it all over at once, rather than postpone the anxiety of another visit.

I was given 5 mg of Valium a zillion years ago when I was going through a bad first marriage and I didn't notice anything, I am not used to taking Valium or any other type of med of that nature. The 5 mg didn't feel relaxed at all so I'm glad you're getting 10 mg. That should do the trick.

I had nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for a cleaning about 30 years ago and it made me so apprehensive that the dentist had to give me oxygen to bring me out of it. Turns out I'm in the 1 percentile (1%) of the population who can not take laughing gas.

I can't remember what procedures you're having. Will you need sedation?

I've been reading up on the IV Sedation and it appears that contrary to public opinion it does not put you to sleep but it does put you into a most deep state of relaxation. You are aware and can respond but you are so deeply relaxed that you don't have any anxiety. They sometimes will wait until you're totally relaxed then they can at this point put on the numbing gel then freeze the area.

Thinking of you ... [smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
IV sedation is probably the best and most effictive type you can get..when i had it about three seconds after they stick you and start it flowing...whatever you are looking at will go out of focus then you will go out of it..well thats aleast what happened to me...and it felt great! [smiley=cloud9.gif]
 
Mikey, that sounds just like what many of us need. General Anesthesia is a tad worrisome as it can be dangerous but with this stuff you do your own breathing, etc.

I hope they give me that stuff for the dental exam, never mind for whatever procedure they will be doing. I wonder if we can ask for a doggy bag hmmm?
 
I, would ask if they have it..never hurts and i find it comforting to bring a blanket or something to the visit it makes it comfy and makes you feel secure..atleast it does for me :)
 
Yeah a Blanket is a good idea. But at last appointment coz of nerves i was boiling hot & sweating bucket loads  :-[ So a Blanket wouldn't have been the best thing for me !
 
Just a quick reply to Snowbird about IV sedation. Different levels, I had IV recently for extractions. As my fear is very, very extreme, I didn't want to have any awareness at all, so I was given very deep sedation toalmost GA level. I can assure you in about 3 or 4 seconds I was out completely, all teeth extracted, woke up seeminly seconds later - one hour had passed, hadnt felt a thing. Was even better than GA in hospital. No after effects except that because I had had a deep level and was full of valium also, for two days after I was tired. So, you can ask for very deep sedation - I just had the most marvellous sedationist out. In common with my most wonderful of all dentist, she works with only the best - and as anyone who has read my journal and that particular posting, they will know that my sedationist was absolutely out of this world in every way.
 
scaredstiff said:
Just a quick reply to Snowbird about IV sedation. Different levels, I had IV recently for extractions. As my fear is very, very extreme, I didn't want to have any awareness at all, so I was given very deep sedation toalmost GA level. I can assure you in about 3 or 4 seconds I was out completely, all teeth extracted, woke up seeminly seconds later - one hour had passed, hadnt felt a thing. Was even better than GA in hospital. No after effects except that because I had had a deep level and was full of valium also, for two days after I was tired. So, you can ask for very deep sedation - I just had the most marvellous sedationist out. In common with my most wonderful of all dentist, she works with only the best - and as anyone who has read my journal and that particular posting, they will know that my sedationist was absolutely out of this world in every way.

I agree with him on everything...IV sedation is the bomb! ;)
 
mikey said:
I agree with him on everything...IV sedation is the bomb! ;)
Him ? It's a her !

Anyway only 3 more Nights to go  [smiley=frightened.gif] Only comfort is i won't be feeling terrified for whole appointment (unless valium doesn't do it's job)

Already planned on taking Valium for appointment on 30th
 
Thanks Issy for pointing out that I'm female. I wear trouser suits so much that sometimes even I forget what I am! ;D
 
Disaster has just happened. My Ipod fell of the Table onto Stone Floor. The front glass bit has smashed :'(
Now i got no Music to distract me on Monday :'(
 
:(thats bad to hear.... but just think 3 and half more days and youll be done ;)
 
mikey said:
:(thats bad to hear.... but just think  3 and half more days and youll be done ;)
Yeah,until the 30th  [smiley=scared.gif]
 
:) but its one less time youll be scared stiff...like i am when i go to visit the dentist for anything other than teeth cleaning... for me i have a filling appointment for next thursday  :(..those i can handle(by handle i mean not to the point where i need sedation) i ask for gas of heaven and its not so bad.  I have a feeling that your appoinments arent going to be as bad as your mind wants you to think ;)
 
mikey said:
:) but its one less time youll be scared stiff...like i am when i go to visit the dentist. for me i have a filling appointment for next thursday  :(..those i can handle(by handle i mean not to the point where i need sedation) i useually ask for the [highlight]gas of heaven [/highlight]and its not so bad.
That sounds great ;D They do offer it at my Dentist, but i'm scared to try it out. Don't wanna loose control of myself :-/
 
You should give it a go..if it has a negative effect all you have to do is remove the nose piece and its back to normal :D
 
Back
Top