• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need encouragement. I don't want to cancel my surgery

O

OkDani

What have I done? I'm struggling with anger & fear that I caused myself. Neglected myself enough to need 5 teeth pulled on Tuesday.
I'm trying to be positive.
I'm trying to pat myself on the back for taking action. I can't change what's done & I'm taking steps to better my health.
I'm scared it's too late & once they start pulling teeth, I'll wake up & the oral surgeon will say she's sorry but they all had to come out. Or my entire jawbone cracked & I'll be deformed. Yes, I'm afraid of that.
I'm trying not to do this. The worst of it will be overwith soon but until then, I humbly ask for your encouragement.

First of all, yes, be proud of yourself for taking that step and making the appointment! That is huge!
Second, don’t get down on yourself for neglecting your teeth. It can happen even if you have excellent oral hygiene. Seriously, I am an example of that. I have always gone to the dentist and have always brushed and flossed because I wanted to avoid dental work due to fear. Last year, I had a crown put on for a cracked tooth and then it seemed to have a domino effect and I have had four teeth extracted in less than a year. I still have at least one or two more acting up.

Third, if your dentist/oral surgeon said 5 teeth need to come out, then only 5 teeth will come out. It is highly unlikely that they missed something in the x rays and exam.

So be proud of the steps you have taken! Get through Tuesday and then you can relax.

Okdani,

We have your back.. you have our ears! and support. its really hard to take this step.. Give yourself alot of credit. I agree with Mountain mama, if they said 5 needed to come out its highly unlikely their will be a surprise of more. I do know from personal experience how easy it is to catastrophize and think of how it could possibly go worse and not better.. I do encourage you to maybe read some success stories here. there are plenty of them. Keeping your mind focused on the good outcomes that have happened. Also.. one thing I do when I get nervous, is go to the dental practices fb or website and look at reviews and remind myself that people really like them and they treat people well and there have been alot of good experiences there. Also here is some great ideas from an article from Defacto.

"Keeping yourself busy with other things will prevent you from worrying about your dental appointment. For some, it‘s about everyday tasks such as food shopping or cleaning the house; for others, it‘s more about listening to music or meeting friends. Whatever makes you think of things other than your upcoming visit will do the job. Sport is another great distraction. Not only is it really hard to worry about dental stuff when you’re sweating and trying to catch your breath, but sport is also good for your overall health and mood. "

Keep writing here.. it is just really hard to think about and go through this.. you are doing amazing and will make it through!!

First of all, yes, be proud of yourself for taking that step and making the appointment! That is huge!
Second, don’t get down on yourself for neglecting your teeth. It can happen even if you have excellent oral hygiene. Seriously, I am an example of that. I have always gone to the dentist and have always brushed and flossed because I wanted to avoid dental work due to fear. Last year, I had a crown put on for a cracked tooth and then it seemed to have a domino effect and I have had four teeth extracted in less than a year. I still have at least one or two more acting up.

Third, if your dentist/oral surgeon said 5 teeth need to come out, then only 5 teeth will come out. It is highly unlikely that they missed something in the x rays and exam.

So be proud of the steps you have taken! Get through Tuesday and then you can relax.
Thank you very much. It's a great feeling to hear from someone who has been there. I'm shocked at the amount of kindness and support I'm feeling. I could never do this without it. I'm humbled. Best.

Okdani,

We have your back.. you have our ears! and support. its really hard to take this step.. Give yourself alot of credit. I agree with Mountain mama, if they said 5 needed to come out its highly unlikely their will be a surprise of more. I do know from personal experience how easy it is to catastrophize and think of how it could possibly go worse and not better.. I do encourage you to maybe read some success stories here. there are plenty of them. Keeping your mind focused on the good outcomes that have happened. Also.. one thing I do when I get nervous, is go to the dental practices fb or website and look at reviews and remind myself that people really like them and they treat people well and there have been alot of good experiences there. Also here is some great ideas from an article from Defacto.

"Keeping yourself busy with other things will prevent you from worrying about your dental appointment. For some, it‘s about everyday tasks such as food shopping or cleaning the house; for others, it‘s more about listening to music or meeting friends. Whatever makes you think of things other than your upcoming visit will do the job. Sport is another great distraction. Not only is it really hard to worry about dental stuff when you’re sweating and trying to catch your breath, but sport is also good for your overall health and mood. "

Keep writing here.. it is just really hard to think about and go through this.. you are doing amazing and will make it through!!
Thanks for your reply. And the clip about distractions. Art is one of the best things I can do for myself and I've been getting creative this past week or so.
It's easy for me to catastrophize so the distractions are welcomed. If I feel brave I'll look at the reviews - but at this point, I might want to wait since I don't want to see anything bad about them just yet.
This forum has been a bunch of blessings. I am trying to focus on for the rest of my life NO MORE TOOTHACHES :-D
Best.

You can do this. One step at a time.

Hi,

I think it will be also helpful to share this burden with the dentist who is going to perform the treatment. Naturally, sharing in this wonderful forum allows some ventilation but sharing with dentist is 10 times more effective in sharing your emotional burden.
After all, you are afraid from the action of that person (the dentist) and focusing together with her about your fears will allow alsoreally addressing them.

Hi,

I think it will be also helpful to share this burden with the dentist who is going to perform the treatment. Naturally, sharing in this wonderful forum allows some ventilation but sharing with dentist is 10 times more effective in sharing your emotional burden.
After all, you are afraid from the action of that person (the dentist) and focusing together with her about your fears will allow alsoreally addressing them.
Thank you. I've talked with her a LOT this past week! I am feeling as ready as I 'll be. It's overwhelming how much support I feel. I'm still afraid, sometimes I need to reflect or meditate until then. Thank y'all so much

Very good. Remember: no matter what happens, you are already a success. You are now beyond the question of success or “failure”, so anything you do is right.

Soon dental anxiety is going to be afraid you. It had its chance to mess with you; now you get mess with it. Enjoy.

:hidesbehindsofa: (Footage of dental anxiety, when it hears you are taking action, and posting here.)

Very good. Remember: no matter what happens, you are already a success. You are now beyond the question of success or “failure”, so anything you do is right.

Soon dental anxiety is going to be afraid you. It had its chance to mess with you; now you get mess with it. Enjoy.

:hidesbehindsofa: (Footage of dental anxiety, when it hears you are taking action, and posting here.)
Thank you dg!! I'm picturing that right now! Mentally I am prepared as I'm going to be. It's okay to be afraid. It's a really big deal to fix one's teeth after all this time :-D

OkDani,

You said this so great.. It really is a big deal to fix ones teeth after time!! and you are doing !

OkDani,

You said this so great.. It really is a big deal to fix ones teeth after time!! and you are doing !
Thank you. It's getting real. Scared but ready. I'm so thankful for the forum. Sometimes it's easier to open up like this, with anonymity - from someone who truly understands. I feel the encouragement. Thank you again!