• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need help encouraging and supporting my boyfriend with going to a dentist ?

S

smile1985

I need help encouraging and supporting my boyfriend with going to a dentist ?

We have been together only 8 weeks but I know he has a big issue with his rotten teeth. He is terrified of the thought of seeing a dentist but wants his smile back .. I am trying to persuade him to have a chat with a dentist but not sure of the best way to support him ...

Re: I need help encouraging and supporting my boyfriend with going to a dentist ?

My best friends all went to the same dentist and talked to him a bit for me first then reported back to me and vice versa. They acted as a sort of surrogate for me until I could get the courage to walk through the doors myself. It only took them about 2 years, but I finally went. Maybe you should find a dentist who has knowledge of dental phobias and book an appointment for yourself there. Let him/her start treating you first and talk to him/her about your boyfriend. You can then report back to your boyfriend and help ease him into a comfort level of making his own appointment to talk to the dentist. My new dentist was great about just chatting with me for a while. He did take a brief look in my mouth and a couple of x-rays, but mostly, we chatted.

I am trying to persuade him to have a chat with a dentist but not sure of the best way to support him ...

Re: I need help encouraging and supporting my boyfriend with going to a dentist ?

Thank you thsts a simple but good idea . I have got my own appointment next month so will ask my dentists advice as she's lovely and very good !! I know it won't be easy and will take a long time but I'm hoping I can be the one to support him through it :) :)

Methinks you are the sort of person that so many of us would want to help us along our way and hold our hand - not too pushy and not putting anything on anyone that you know they wouldn't be able to cope with - I sooooo hope your other half manages to get all of that and get through what he needs to.

xx

Hi smile1985 welcome to the forum, show your boyfriend this forum after you have read through some of the threads, and we will help you support him. It is something he has to do at a pace that feels right to him and in his own time. But along with you he is welcome to come and join us here. Good luck, I hope he finds the courage to go and see your dentist. He will one day. I was going to use some smilies in this reply but they aren't working for me at the moment.

Hi smile1985,

I think you can help your boyfriend with your support. He is lucky to have you :)

I was in a similar situation - new boyfriend, horrible teeth plus my phobia...
I didn't go to the dentist for five years because of my dental fear...then I met my boyfriend in July. :love: I tried to hide my teeth as long as I could but it was quite hard since I had problems with my upper front teeth :redface: ...Then I found this forum and also told my boyfriend about my phobia...He was really understanding and nice and so were the members here, too.In a couple of days I chose an office and got my first appointment - and it was the right decision ;D In September I had a cleaning, in October an RCT ( first in my life which was totally painless ) and some fillings - still some work needed but it's much better now.

I agree with carole, you should show your boyfriend this great forum - that's the place where everyone understands his problem.:)

Back