• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I really need helpful words. Impending oral surgery :(

N

NocoleT84

I have had horrible traumatic dental experiences my whole life. The last few dentists and procedures were so bad that it created an ulcer. So I let the dentist go for years. So now I think I have TMJ cuz I cracked back molars. I'm so terrified of the dentist I get light headed just thinking of going. Last time I thought I would work up the strength I got so sick I had to stay home. I can not take a chill pill because it does not work for me. I can not get sweet air either due to the opposite effect. Anyway I will need 3 wisdoms pulled and the rest (molars) are rotted and cracked. I'll need many extractions and root canals. So I'm looking to get IV sedation and I'm just terrified. I'm scared because I get nauseous when I'm anxious and I dry heave. Last I had my gallbladder out and woke up after 5 hours of surgery and spent the whole day throwing up. I have a fear of throwing up just as bad as the dentist. So what can I expect from oral surgery really? Will I wake up and throw up? Will I feel anything? What are chances of another dry socket? I don't smoke or anything but had one before so it was horrible. I figure if I get a lot of teeth pulled it will be a higher risk. Can I get a denture right away? I'll have no teeth to chew with so I wonder? Can anyone help me please? I haven't slept good in days and I'm in ulcer and cold sweats thinking about just the consultation. Will I just wake up and go "wow it was not that bad"? Anyone please help me I'm new on here and if I finally have a good experience I'll report back to help others but right now I need a miracle ...

First impressions - and playing devil's advocate here a bit ...

You say you have cracked back molars. Do you think that was caused by constantly gritting your teeth? A weird bite pattern? Poorly fitting teeth? A blow to your jaw in the past? As I understand it, it takes something pretty traumatic to cause TMJ, those things are mentioned as possible contributors. If you're feeling pain and none of these really apply, that could just be from untreated teeth. I wouldn't jump to the TMJ conclusion just yet.

When you had your gallbladder surgery, did the doctor or nurses suggest your vomiting was caused by stress? I bet not. There are plenty of other causes for that, not the least of which is the fact that the gallbladder is linked to the digestive system.

With IV sedation for dentistry, they make you fast before the surgery starts, just like they do before other kinds of surgery. Remember, though, that they'll be working on your teeth, not your abdomen. While it's true that people sometimes don't handle meds well, you'll have nothing to come up during the procedure. Unless you have had the same problem with other surgeries besides your gallbladder, I wouldn't assume the same thing will happen. This is a different animal - and probably a different sedating chemical.

I don't remember a thing from the times I've had IV sedation.

As for dentures, it sounds like your main worry is your molars. They may be the only teeth with which there is anything wrong. And they might be fixable. I manage fine without a couple of mine.

Calm down - you're getting way ahead of yourself here.

First impressions - and playing devil's advocate here a bit ...

You say you have cracked back molars. Do you think that was caused by constantly gritting your teeth? A weird bite pattern? Poorly fitting teeth? A blow to your jaw in the past? As I understand it, it takes something pretty traumatic to cause TMJ, those things are mentioned as possible contributors. If you're feeling pain and none of these really apply, that could just be from untreated teeth. I wouldn't jump to the TMJ conclusion just yet.

When you had your gallbladder surgery, did the doctor or nurses suggest your vomiting was caused by stress? I bet not. There are plenty of other causes for that, not the least of which is the fact that the gallbladder is linked to the digestive system.

With IV sedation for dentistry, they make you fast before the surgery starts, just like they do before other kinds of surgery. Remember, though, that they'll be working on your teeth, not your abdomen. While it's true that people sometimes don't handle meds well, you'll have nothing to come up during the procedure. Unless you have had the same problem with other surgeries besides your gallbladder, I wouldn't assume the same thing will happen. This is a different animal - and probably a different sedating chemical.

I don't remember a thing from the times I've had IV sedation.

As for dentures, it sounds like your main worry is your molars. They may be the only teeth with which there is anything wrong. And they might be fixable. I manage fine without a couple of mine.

Calm down - you're getting way ahead of yourself here.

My doctor told me I have TMJ and that all the snapping clicking and popping is from the stress I've had in the past. 5 of my back molars are cracked to almost nothing and all of my wisdoms need to go. You are probably right about my gallbladder surgery being different. The other surgeries I had were not bad. I just fear that throwing up might happen. I will most likely need a partial denture which is what s dentist said 6 years ago so I can only imagine what now. I appreciate your words. I just want to know that IV sedation dentistry is what people say it is and that it will be so easy I can go back using this as a means of treatment.

Yes, most of what you've heard about IV sedation will be true. It's a win-win because the dentist is not having to contend with a patient, and the patient doesn't remember anything.

You may even be entertaining when you come around afterward! My 20-year-old daughter had IV sedation this past summer along with wisdom teeth removal. I won't forget her singing "YMCA" while still out of it. I gather that IV sedation has this type of effect more than general anesthesia.

Back