• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I really need moral support!

Callum_Edgar

Callum_Edgar

Ok so basically I have to go to the Dentists a week on Tuesday. I need to go have the rest of my upper teeth taken out. Most of them are just roots now but still a few that are "whole". I'm planning to have IV sedation as I'm really scared of the dentist. I have been to the dentist many times now over the past 5 months for impressions and fittings and whatnot for my new upper denture and had a scale and polish. That went fine but I'm totally freaking out about this upcoming appointment. The last time I had extractions, I had a GA and not getting it this time its torture for me mentally. I've been told by the dentist and his dental nurse that for all that needs taken out, it will take all of 5 minutes to do as he does it pretty fast but I'm not cinvinced. I have this aching feeling that they're lying to me just to make me feel more at ease about the procedure. I know when it comes to a few days before the appointment, I'm not gonna be able to sleep, as it is now..my mind is constantly filled with bad thoughts about it and I Can't think of anything else other than that the appointment is just over a week away. I feel like I just wanna die to avoid having to go...idk what to do. I know people say that you don't remember anything from IV sedation and stuff but I just don't buy it!!!!. I really wish I had just opted for GA but I took IV cos I thought it be easier for the dentist not having a breathing tube in the way. Something tells me when the 27th comes, I will go for my appointment and I'll be too hysterical that they will tell me they are postponing the appointment and make another for GA.

So sorry to hear about your situation, Callum_Edgar. The waiting and dreading are the worst parts, and I know just what it's like to feel like time just stands still while you have nothing to do but worry.

I can't speak to IV sedation, but I can tell you that I've had a couple of teeth extracted with just local anesthetic, and it was fast and painless. I never believed it would be, and I was a complete wreck up to the appointment, but the procedure itself was probably five minutes once I was numb. So your dentist isn't lying to you-- it really is quick and easy. It's also nothing like what I imagined-- no tugging or yanking. So I think the IV sedation will be just fine. (I think there may be some short-term anti-anxiety meds that you may be able to take as well to keep yourself calm. You might want to ask your family doctor.)

All that said, the anxiety and running thoughts just suck, and although the fears themselves might be unfounded, the experience of them is absolutely real and just tough on your body and mind. So, try not to be ashamed of your fears, and try to be as kind to yourself as possible in the meantime. (e.g. if it helps to watch stupid movies, eat ice cream, cry, etc, then do it!!!)

I wish you a quick week and as much rest as possible. And when it's done, it'll be done, and you'll be able to rest and heal, and soon enough, smile again.

Take care!

To try and give you some comfort, this morning i had two back teeth extracted ,believe me when i say the thought of the extraction is far worse than the procedure ,I too am someone who is petrified of the dentist ,but plucked up the courage to go knowing i need alot of work done.This morning i nearly cancelled but really just made myself go.After an injection to numb my mouth which was worrying me the most,i swear to god i did not feel a thing,there was no pain ,just a general tugging to remove the teeth which didnt hurt!,4 hours later i've no pain ,no painkillers taken and just waiting to heal,am back next week for another two extractions and although i'm not looking forward to it ,i now know what to expect,the fear of the unknown is alot worse .Good luck,and you can do it!!

Back