• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Implants Question

C

Chloe06

Thursday afternoon I am having my screws placed for my two implants. Am I going to be able to go to work the next day as long as I am not in any pain?

Thursday afternoon I am having my screws placed for my two implants. Am I going to be able to go to work the next day as long as I am not in any pain?
With each of my implants, I was told to rest the remainder of the day, but could resume normal activities when I felt okay. Usually I felt fine the next day (with mild pain relief like Tylenol). As long as your work is not super physical, you will probably be fine. There may be some swelling or bruising. I had bruising with my 2nd molar implant (looked like I had been punched, even though it didn’t really hurt), but no bruising with the 1st molar implants. Pain was pretty minimal after the first day.

Great to hear! I am a teacher, so my job involves no physical labor, so I was hoping I wouldn’t have to miss work. How long did you have to wait between getting the screws and getting the crowns? Also, did you have a restricted diet after getting the screws?

@Chloe06, I am a teacher also, although I was working from home when I had mine done so that made it easier. You may want to take one day off, just because your job involves a lot of talking, and your jaw may be sore. Mine was sore but not bad, but when I would get up and walk around much, it would kind of pulse…not really hurt, but uncomfortable. You definitely want to take it easy for a day.
After the implants, you do want to avoid anything crunchy, sticky, or sharp for about a week…that is what I was told. Avoid chewing on the implants altogether.
It was four months from implant to crown placement. Once the crowns were on, you have no eating restrictions.

Thank you so much for your help! I am going to have an implant on each side in the back, so does that mean I should just not eat chewy foods at all for a week?

Thank you so much for your help! I am going to have an implant on each side in the back, so does that mean I should just not eat chewy foods at all for a week?
I would ask your surgeon/dentist to be sure, but I was told to avoid it for a week. At my consult, my surgeon told me to stock up on soft, easy to eat foods for about a week while the area healed. Not a liquid or completely soft diet…I ate grilled chicken, fish, stuff like that also.

Ok thanks so much! I am so nervous for some reason- more so than when I got them extracted. I think I am anxious about the idea of having screws drilled into my mouth!

Ok thanks so much! I am so nervous for some reason- more so than when I got them extracted. I think I am anxious about the idea of having screws drilled into my mouth!
I was too, at first. After the first implant, I was like “that wasn’t bad at all”. It is much easier than extraction and you don’t have as much tugging.

The implant procedure went well, but I now have a little sore spot right next to the implant. There is no redness or swelling, but I was wondering if the sore spot was of concern. I haven't had any issues since now (4 days after). I wonder if a piece of food went over there because sometimes I was forgetting to not chew on that side and started to chew. Should I be worried?

The implant procedure went well, but I now have a little sore spot right next to the implant. There is no redness or swelling, but I was wondering if the sore spot was of concern. I haven't had any issues since now (4 days after). I wonder if a piece of food went over there because sometimes I was forgetting to not chew on that side and started to chew. Should I be worried?
It is not unusual to have a sore spot for awhile. It is trauma to your jaw. As long as it isn’t swelling or red, I was told not to worry. If it really bothers you, it may be worth a phone call to the dentist/surgeon just to check in on it.

Back