My second

of the day, and you have come to just the right place for support and advice.
How horrible is that, that the dentist embarrassed you to tears, and then on top of that lectured you. Simply not acceptable whatsoever.
I don't know if you are going to a different dentist this time - I bloomin' hope so - and what I will say to you is, that although you will feel scared and incredibly vulnerable, you are the patient, and you don't have to have anything either said or done to you that you don't want. Your first visit will just be to take a little lookie, and they don't even have to use the 'picky' thing if
you don't want it.
You should (even tho' you are nervous) get a 'feel' for the surgery and the staff there, and if this is a good feeling, and you come away feeling relieved, then stick with it. If on the other hand you have the opposite, do what you have a right to do and

ta ta to that one, and go find one that you are comfortable and at ease with.
I did that three times before I ended being extremely fortunate and finding my current dentist, and believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.
Try to go next week, as you obviously have things that you need to be helped with, and try - I know - it is sooooo difficult - to not stress too much, as Carole
told me the other week, dont even think about it until after the weekend! I was too

not to do as she told me

and so pushed it to the back of my mind until Monday
Take care sweetie, we are all here for you whenever you need.
Kim