• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infection even after antibiotics, how to ease excruciating pain - help!!!!

A

aj101

Hi there

I am so glad I found this forum as I feel alone and very scared! I have a phobia of dentists due to the fact that when I was little I had two needles two teeth out and two fillings and was crying. The dentist said If you dont shut up I'll smack your bum!!

When part of my tooth broke away from my filling last year, I left it. Big mistake! I have been in pain all over Christmas so i found myself a nice dentist who said I'd left it so long it had fractured so I needed it out but first as it hurt, I would need antibiotics. I had a 5 day course last week then very bravely had my tooth out on Tuesday (Im 32 and I took my mum in with me!) The dentist was lovely and had a break halfway through saying he was taking his time - needed 4 injections!) this was a little sore and quite painful after but two days later I was in agony. He also said I need a root canal on the tooth next to the extraction as there is a black shadow on the xray root. I am now in excruciating pain and realise the infected tooth isnt the one he pulled out, that was just broken?! This one next to it is slightly discoloured and hurts to touch. My whole mouth, jaw, ear etc is hurting and even clove oil is not easing it. Have I got another infection even though I had antibiotics last week? Will I need another course before the root canal?

Is there any suggestions as to how I can ease the pain until my appointment tuesday? I am worried as I am in so much pain and heard it could be fatal in rare cases? I am a worrier and this is getting me down. Is it safe my dentist is leaving it so long and did the extraction first and why has the infecion not gone, Ive never felt pain like it and am taking solpadol with codeine in.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, look forward to your replies. PS does a root canal hurt??????

Re: Infection even after antibiotics, how to ease excruciating pain - help!!!!

Have you tried mixing 1tsp. of sea salt with a 8 oz. glass of lukewarm water and swishing for a few minutes, 3 times a day?
I have a mouth full of issues (including broken/missing teeth), but have never had an infection or pain. I give credit to doing the above, except I do it once daily. Once a week I include a drop or two of organic essential tea tree oil, and 1 tsp. of baking soda to the mix.
Also make sure you are not eating/drinking anything that will make it worse...like sugar! :)

thank you, I washed my mouth out with saltwater once today but felt it didnt do anything. My diet isnt too good since I left slimming world and prefer chocolate! :oops:

thanks for your reply - it hurts, I will try the other rememdy you suggested x

I understand! I love chocolate/sugar also, but it seriously causes pain!!! I hope the mouthwash remedy will help you! :)

It could either be an abscess on the tooth that is still there or a dry socket on the tooth that came out, either way call your dentist ASAP instead of suffering.

yeah from my readings around here .. the pain you are describing sound exactly like dry socket

Signs and symptoms of dry socket can include:
  • Severe pain within a few days after a tooth extraction
  • Partial or total loss of the blood clot at the tooth extraction site, which you may notice as an empty-looking (dry) socket
  • Visible bone in the socket
  • Pain that radiates from the socket to your ear or eye on the same side of your face
  • Bad breath or a foul odor coming from your mouth
  • Unpleasant taste in your mouth
  • Swollen lymph nodes around your jaw or neck

thanks for this, I was very careful not to get dry socket though by not swilling etc and the blood has clotted over the hole although I do have all of those symptoms. It is the weekend and I can't get antibiotics - what can I do? :cry:

Youre probably suffering from a combination of the very recent extraction and the infection which could explain the pain.

I always take vitamin C supplements for healing. You don't have to but it can't do any harm, particularly if youre diet is not too nutritious.

Speaking of which, if you want to avoid dentists you should limit the frequency you eat sugar say to mealtimes (e.g don't drink sugary drinks or beverages between meals). Sugar can irritate a dying nerve. Not sure why, but I also found that gin and tonic is not good (well it irritated mine no end when I had an infection). I'd avoid booze and smoking if you do. Anything that helps boost your immune system now will help ease the pain a bit. Make sure you get your five a day and some omega five foods. A healthy diet helps keep you away from the dental chair.

Drink enough water as this helps flush out your system. You could try swishing with sage tea as this is a natural treatment for dental and gum conditions. Rinsing with Chamomile tea could also calm the area. If you don't have either, you could try rinsing with lukewarm black normal tea (just plain, no milk or sugar). The salt water rinse is also a good idea (your dentist should have already told you to do this about three or four times daily for the extraction).

It's possible the clove oil could have irritated the site of the extraction too. I've used clove oil in the past when I had pain from an infection and it's only a temporary fix. But I'd be careful using it near a healing extraction site.

You could try using a warm compress on your face as this could bring you some comfort & will distract you from the pain. You could try varying with cold compress to see if that brings more relief.

Try to bring your dental appointment forward if the pain gets worse. Use the dental emergency service.

Try to get some rest in the meantime. Dont do any strenuous housework or shopping if possible.

Hi,

From your description it is almost certainly a dry socket. Sometimes, despite taking all the precautions and following all the post extraction instructions you just get one anyway.

I would recommend hourly hot salt water mouthwashes. Take painkillers, a combination of ibuprofen and paracetamol is good (as long as you have no medical conditions the prevent you taking ibuprofen eg asthma).

If you can get to see the hour of hours dentist he will be able to apply a special dressing which will help with the pain and encourage healing.

With regard to your question about root canal treatment - is should not hurt while it is being done although it is common for the tooth to be sore for a couple of days afterward.

Hope this helps,

Lincoln

thanks guys so much. Went to the walk in centre and she said I have a nasty infection! She said the extraction healed ok but the tooth next to it is bad! (the one i need root canal on) I am now on stronger antibiotics which you cant drink on so hope that clears it for good. She mentioned using a mouthwash - I am going to look after my teeth from now on! Your support has been fab, thank you everyone xx:)

All the best for tuesday & hope you have some pain relief from the new medication.

thanks guys so much. Went to the walk in centre and she said I have a nasty infection! She said the extraction healed ok but the tooth next to it is bad! (the one i need root canal on) I am now on stronger antibiotics which you cant drink on so hope that clears it for good. She mentioned using a mouthwash - I am going to look after my teeth from now on! Your support has been fab, thank you everyone xx:)

Good Luck with you tooth i usually eat something with a Ibuprofen seems like they dont work for me unless I eat something i think every one has heard of salt water but some of the other thing's people said were interesting i am not really into the all natural healing but right now i will try just about anything except any type of opiate.

Back