C
CaribbeanSail
Junior member
- Joined
- Nov 3, 2010
- Messages
- 12
I went to the dentist yesterday for the first time in 20 years, due to unbearable tooth ache that wouldnt go away. By the way a HUGE thank you to this site, in my sleepless nights due to the tooth ache and my relisation that I must finally break down and go to a dentist, I did some googling and found this site. I spent many hours reading through it and learning about all these new ways to cope with dental anxiety with sedation. This site went a long way to giving me the courage, but also allowed me to research some dentists first to find the right one who can handle a major dental phobic like me who has not been in a very long time.
Well I found the perfect dentist it seems, he actually specializes in IV sedation and patients with highly neglected teeth and dental phobia, with a firm rule on no lecturing.
So it turns out the source of my tooth pain is a wisdom tooth. But of course that is not the only problem I have. I have 7 cavities that need filling, bad tartar buildup, and my 3 other wisdom teeth while not causing pain, do need removing. I figure, given my dental phobia, and the fact IV sedation will make me not know the difference, why not just do everything that needs doing, rather then just the bare minimum of removing the one wisdom tooth.
This however would be an all day affair due to the amount of work, arrive at office to begin sedation at 8am and be done at about 4pm. The dentist said its fine and no additional risk due to the length of time. However reading about IV sedation on this site, it sounds like its normally limited to less then 2 hours at a time. So that has me worried a bit. I know I could split the procedures up into multiple visits, but sedation or not, going to the dentist once is bad enough, several times? No way, I can guarantee that once the pain is gone I would just opt not to go back again (knowing this about myself I am also opting to pay a high premium for 7 porcelain fillings rather then silver or composite, since they are supposed to last longer).
Has anyone else done IV sedation for such an extended period of time? Or know of the ins and outs of it enough to tell me if this is normal or okay?
Thank you! I keep switching back in forth between sheer terror for my upcoming appointment to do all this and absolute delight at the idea of being able to smile without embarrassment again.
Well I found the perfect dentist it seems, he actually specializes in IV sedation and patients with highly neglected teeth and dental phobia, with a firm rule on no lecturing.
So it turns out the source of my tooth pain is a wisdom tooth. But of course that is not the only problem I have. I have 7 cavities that need filling, bad tartar buildup, and my 3 other wisdom teeth while not causing pain, do need removing. I figure, given my dental phobia, and the fact IV sedation will make me not know the difference, why not just do everything that needs doing, rather then just the bare minimum of removing the one wisdom tooth.
This however would be an all day affair due to the amount of work, arrive at office to begin sedation at 8am and be done at about 4pm. The dentist said its fine and no additional risk due to the length of time. However reading about IV sedation on this site, it sounds like its normally limited to less then 2 hours at a time. So that has me worried a bit. I know I could split the procedures up into multiple visits, but sedation or not, going to the dentist once is bad enough, several times? No way, I can guarantee that once the pain is gone I would just opt not to go back again (knowing this about myself I am also opting to pay a high premium for 7 porcelain fillings rather then silver or composite, since they are supposed to last longer).
Has anyone else done IV sedation for such an extended period of time? Or know of the ins and outs of it enough to tell me if this is normal or okay?
Thank you! I keep switching back in forth between sheer terror for my upcoming appointment to do all this and absolute delight at the idea of being able to smile without embarrassment again.

