• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is jaw pain a week after RCT normal?

Hi Regina,
If you had a i d block injection (that's the one they put right at the back of your mouth which makes your front lip and tongue go numb), then the jaw can be sore on opening for a while because the muscles that open and close the jaw can occasionally be traumatised by the injection. Ibuprofen, if you are safe to take it, can help. It should resolve on its own. Rest the jaw by avoiding very chewy foods.

If the pain is located right under the tooth itself then that would be a different matter. Again, it is not uncommon and may well resolve.

Hope it all settles down soon

Lincoln

Hi! Would you please explain What you mean by “if the pain is located under the tooth that’s a different matter”?

Hi! Would you please explain What you mean by “if the pain is located under the tooth that’s a different matter”?
If the pain feels like it is literally sitting in the jaw just where the ends of the roots would be then this might suggest an abscess.

If the pain feels like it is literally sitting in the jaw just where the ends of the roots would be then it this might suggest an abscess.
Just wanted to add another quick question along a similar vein; what if the pain is lower, well below the roots in the lower margin of the jaw (right on the jawline)?

It's hard to say without more information really... what's the pain like short stabbing, dull, persistent etc etc.

All the best for tomorrow - I'm glad you can get it checked out :grouphug:
Thank you. I'm glad too, they always seem to be fully booked for weeks so I'm happy they're fitting me in. I'm also glad I emailed them. Sometimes you just need to ask the experts and not suffer in silence! Will let you know if they give me anything or do anything, hopefully not too scary!

It's hard to say without more information really... what's the pain like short stabbing, dull, persistent etc etc.
I don't want to hijack the thread but in my case the pain is usually mild to moderate and dull, persistent for a few hours, usually at night and can feel hot if that makes sense. It also isn't always in the same place but appears all along the underneath of the line of the jaw at different points from the chin to the cheekbone. I've had three check ups and a clean within the last three months and I'm being fitted for a guard on Friday, just saying for context

Such courage. Well done.

Maybe you can open your mouth juuuust a little :)

All the best wishes for today, hope your dentist will be able to help you! :clover::clover::clover:

I don't want to hijack the thread but in my case the pain is usually mild to moderate and dull, persistent for a few hours, usually at night and can feel hot if that makes sense. It also isn't always in the same place but appears all along the underneath of the line of the jaw at different points from the chin to the cheekbone. I've had three check ups and a clean within the last three months and I'm being fitted for a guard on Friday, just saying for context

Pretty unlikely to be an abscess then... sounds more like some kind of TMJ/Muscle pain.

Pretty unlikely to be an abscess then... sounds more like some kind of TMJ/Muscle pain.
Thanks, that's our current working theory, I was concerned it could be masking another issue but I'm happy to hear it doesn't sound like an abscess. Fingers crossed the guard helps because I'm really not looking forward to impressions being taken ??

Regina..

Hope you can hang in there, and its not too terrible. I'm glad they were able to get you in this afternoon.. Just saw this. Let us know how it goes and how you are doing..

I'm just out. He said it's probably a combination of things. Keeping jaw open, stress, anaesthetic, grinding etc. Last night I was woken up (and kept awake for an hour) by terrible pain on the other side. He said that was probably from stress and grinding my teeth. He had a quick look at me opening my mouth (I was veering to the left when I did), but mainly just talked me through it and gave me an advice sheet with tips.

The frustrating thing is that he said we'll put on hold the rest of the treatment till it's better. I was to make an appointment to see if it's improved in a week or so, so I've just kept the appointments I had for the other RCT. But I get a feeling that means I won't get the treatment done before summer (they're always booked up for a few weeks). I'm not going to be available for about a month, part of that on holiday and I don't really want to go away and still have 2 very broken teeth and not eat properly.

Oh well, hopefully following the tips will work and it'll improve soon. I'm sure I'll at least sleep better tonight!

Sounds a bit bittersweet, frustrating but hope the tips work and you sleep better and it progresses. I really hope it keeps getting better so you can get all the work done in a timely way that works for you and the least discomfort

The frustrating thing is that he said we'll put on hold the rest of the treatment till it's better. I was to make an appointment to see if it's improved in a week or so, so I've just kept the appointments I had for the other RCT. But I get a feeling that means I won't get the treatment done before summer (they're always booked up for a few weeks). I'm not going to be available for about a month, part of that on holiday and I don't really want to go away and still have 2 very broken teeth and not eat properly.

Did you discuss this with the dentist?
Get well soon..

Did you discuss this with the dentist?
Get well soon..
No actually. I should have of course. I'm going back in a week and a bit for him to see the progress. I'll mention to him then. He didn't want to aggravate it, having my mouth open for ages again, another anaesthetic etc. It wasn't until later I thought about the timing. I'll still have about a month, so maybe we can fit it in. Or I can be available for any cancellation slots.

Sounds a bit bittersweet, frustrating but hope the tips work and you sleep better and it progresses. I really hope it keeps getting better so you can get all the work done in a timely way that works for you and the least discomfort

Yes, I think it's just impatience, expecting to get put out of pain immediately. But I do feel better at the thought that it will likely improve. The fact it happens a lot makes it less stressful. The dentist himself says he grinds, has to be careful with his posture, and has a splint. Which might be the next step for me.

Got to be positive now, I'll start with a relaxing bubble bath which is on the list!

I'm just out. He said it's probably a combination of things. Keeping jaw open, stress, anaesthetic, grinding etc. Last night I was woken up (and kept awake for an hour) by terrible pain on the other side. He said that was probably from stress and grinding my teeth. He had a quick look at me opening my mouth (I was veering to the left when I did), but mainly just talked me through it and gave me an advice sheet with tips.

Oh well, hopefully following the tips will work and it'll improve soon. I'm sure I'll at least sleep better tonight!
@CourageAndBraveryASAP this is what he said. He wasn't concerned, so it seems quite normal. If it continues, I might need to get a splint for the grinding. I had a hot bath last night and followed the hot/stretching/cold routine.

At rest, I feel no pain today (yesterday my other side hurt all day - he said that was probably stress leading to grinding), so I must have had a more peaceful sleep. I still can't really move it forward, but I'm not expecting it to be overnight.

Thanks for asking!

Back