• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is there really a risk of death following tooth extraction (upper wisdom)?

T

TheGeek

I need some honest replies from dental surgeons.

I am due for a wisdom tooth extraction tomorrow. Both are rotten to the core. Upper wisdom teeth.

I've been doing some Googling around and found some articles that suggest there's an increased chance of heart attacks or strokes with tooth extraction. I've also read an article where a 27 year old boy died after an infection which spread all around his body following extraction:

This has made me want to skip my dentist appointment. I know I can't. I know I have to have this done. But I do not want to be a victim of an infection that could be fatal.

Please, can anyone give me some advice on the best way to go here? Should I ask the dentist for a course of antibiotics before extraction given that they're both rotten?

What can I do to ensure this doesn't happen?

I am so scared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Is there really a risk of death following tooth extraction (upper wisdom)?

Hi I am sorry I have removed the link you included in this post as it was just too scary for most of the people on here. We really want to encourage and support people that are afraid of dental things.

I know you are nervous about dental treatment but reading things like this will not help you. You will not die from an infection after extraction.

There is no reason for you to be afraid of having a heart attack or a stroke either because you are very closely monitored whilst having treatment and if you showed signs of damaging stress they would deal with it immediately.

Please don't skip your appointment you will be fine. They know what they are doing and will make sure you are okay. All that will happen is that you will get rid of the teeth and the worry that goes along with them.

If they feel you need antibiotics they will prescribe them for you so don't worry.

Explain to the dentist that you are afraid and why and let them put your mind at ease.

It is best not to google things as often they are made more gory or scary for the shock factor, who wants to read a boring, honest, and factual account of what actually happens?

Answer: WE DO :)

If you can just get yourself there and then trust them to make you better, the teeth must have given you pain and worry. You have all to gain, you will be fine, try not to worry. You are doing more to yourself than the extraction will do. I know because I have been there and done it, it is never as bad as we imagine.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Back