• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV Sedation Extractions

Z

zeckzer74

I have dental extractions coming up this week. I took a cancellation appointment at an oral surgeon and I’m so so nervous. I choose IV Conscious Sedation thinking that would be best. Now I’m so nervous for the Sedation. I’ve never had any Sedation before. I don’t want to hear or see anything. I don’t know if I’ll still feel the pressure.
They say I won’t remember much afterwards but that doesn’t help in the moment. ?
All the teeth I’m having out have decay or broke deep deep cavities. A failed root canal that has bacteria in the bottom of root.
I obsess over this can’t stop thinking about it. Lost weight which is nice. Lol. Lost so much of sleep for months with worry & fear & so many ?.I just started going back to the Dentist when I was forced to in May when the abscess occurred and my face blew up like a softball. Since then I’ve had over 10 deep cavities on other teeth filled. And I still struggle and shake during those. But I found a nice Dentist’s and assistant that know how fearful I am. But I just feel safer for some odd reason at an oral surgeon office for extractions.

but they don’t know me and my fears. I’m walking in blind. And fear I won’t get numb with all the cavities. I need it done so bad but I’m legit petrified. Help!

Hi zeckzer74 ?

I haven't had IV sedation myself, but we have a section here on the website with people's personal experiences and stories of IV sedation:

If you haven't already seen them, I think you'll find them helpful!

But I just feel safer for some odd reason at an oral surgeon office for extractions.

but they don’t know me and my fears. I’m walking in blind.

Would it be possible for you to contact them beforehand and let them know how scared you are (and what you're afraid of)? We've got a patient form for just this purpose in the downloads section:

Hopefully, someone with personal experience of IV sedation can also chime in :).

Best of luck for your appointment ?

The front desk people I talked to know. But not the Dentist or team. As much as I don’t want to do this I need to. I’m afraid of my BP being to high or asking to many questions & them turning me away. Then having to live like this longer.

I did see that section thank you! I’ll look at that form.
?

Tomorrow is the day someone help. I don’t think I can do this.

You aren’t giving yourself enough credit. I had 14 extractions with NUMEROUS injections yesterday and I am terrified of injections. I handled it fine. All I had was 10 mg of Valium snd the injections. Always thought I would die of a heart attack if I had oral injections. Please do not cancel your appt. you can do this!! Please update ASAP. Will say a prayer for you!

Thank you. I’m not cancelling but I think I’m so worked up I’m legit balling continuously. They will say my BP is to high. I don’t want the Gas. I want them to talk to me. I didn’t even get a consult. I’m going into this blind. ? I’m beyond petrified. I’m scared of Sedation but I don’t think I can do it without. ??‍♀️

Hi there,
You will NOT feel/see/remember anything with IV sedation. I've done it three times now and it is the bomb. They told me, lay down in the chair right after the put the IV in this last time, and I was saying "hey, hey, I can still see and feel things, then that was it. 19 extractions. I worried my head off that I was going to know what was going on I did not all 3 times I've used it. Please don't stress, they do it alot and know their stuff whether its a nurse anesthetist or Doctor.

A few other things to ponder:
They do this probably a minimum of 200 times a year. They've already experienced any and all complications you might present with, which is probably none.

I have had high blood pressure for years, and they took it when i got there and were still able to give me the sedation. They didn\t tell me it was high, but i know it was, I was terrified

All that happens is you "go back" and sit up in the dentist chair, anesthetist will ask some questions (what medications, etc.) He puts an IV in your arm and then the dentist will come in and tell you to lay back. You will be scared because you will think its not working, then in 10 seconds you will be out like a light. To the patient, there is really no difference between this and general anesthesia. I've never once woken up, or remembered anything. When you wake up you will be groggy for awhile. They had to take me out to the car in a wheelchair, but it was OVER and that was all that mattered. They will either call the next day or bring you in for adjustments. Don't eat or drink after midnight. I will watch this today to see if you have other questions I can help with; I had mine extracted a week ago today.

Your so awesome I love that you took the time to respond in depth to me. I really appreciate it! I just never ever been sedated to I don’t know what it “feels” like I don’t want it to be scary when I go to sleep. And feel like a pile of Jello physically and somehow be aware & “know” what’s happening and be like stop stop I know someone is in my mouth. I can’t even handle the “pressure” like at a normal dentist.
I hear everyone I really do. But those are my legitimate fears as insane as they are. ???‍♀️
I have to check in @740am tomorrow.

Do you remember if it was weird going out or if you had dreams? Did it seem like 2 seconds?

It is just a void. I remember complaining about not being sleepy and then bam. No dreams, nothing, like it never happened. It's a little weird when you wake up but you still have control of yourself. I have woken up once in the middle of general anesthesia and it was awful. Saw the root of my tooth and passed out again, but that was 40 years ago. Also, I am resistant to stuff like this. I can't be hypnotized, nitrous didn't work at all. As soon as I heard a crunch, I was bawling and couldn't finish. So this is the way to go,and I promise you you will go to sleep and wake up later with no recollection then or ever.

I plan on telling him I want him to talk to me like I’m awake. But I don’t want him to “wake me” by that. I know it makes no sense. I want them to watch to see if I squint during it or tense my hands just little things. That I might not know I’m doing but it means something. Even if I don’t know it when I’m doing it.
You did Under General? ? that’s scary as heck and totally what I’m afraid of. I don’t want him to tell me it’s all good I’ll forget. Like I want nothing to forget. Lol.

I appreciate you going back and forth with me so much. I spin myself in circles like a broken record. I know.

I was given a local anaesthesia once 3 years ago and then I fainted maybe out of fear and they only gave me half the dose which caught me well. Do you think he used lidocaine? For my peace of mind I will do the allergy test! But I guess if I didn't have it then I won't have it now, right?

Back