• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Jaw & gum tender

  • Thread starter Thread starter panicannie
  • Start date Start date
P

panicannie

Junior member
Joined
Jun 13, 2014
Messages
8
Hi all, desperate for some advice. I had a root canal done about 10 years ago & it recently fell apart. Its a molar on the bottom right. The dentist was going to extract it but decided it could be refilled instead so put a composite filling in. A day after the filling it began to feel tight & throbbing a bit. It got painful & was making my teeth above throb so went back. She checked, took an xray & said it was inflamed & looked like a slight infection. I thought it might've been from me chewing on it. Was on antibiotics fr a week & the pain went but now the gum & jaw feel really tender near the tooth & still can't bite on it. Feels a bit tight when I open my mouth but I'm not actually in any pain at the moment. My dentist is away for 3 weeks so I'm not seeing her now till July & I'm worried as I don't know if the infection is still there or how I can get more antibiotics if need be? I'm also petrified of having it extracted now after reading about dry socket :( especially with it being a lower tooth. I'd be greatful for any advice please. Thank you.
 
Hi,

I'm worried as I don't know if the infection is still there or how I can get more antibiotics if need be?
You can have a course of antibiotics, it should be a different kind of antibiotics than the one you just had.

I'm also petrified of having it extracted now after reading about dry socket :( especially with it being a lower tooth. [/QUOTE]


It sounds like the best would be to go to a specialist, an endodontist, maybe an extraction is not needed?!
Dry socket has to do with many factors, like the patient's health, smoking, the dentist's technique and more. If you want to be on the safe side, go to the relevant specialist: an oral surgeon. There are ways to make 99.99% sure that the dry socket will not come.
 
Hi,


You can have a course of antibiotics, it should be a different kind of antibiotics than the one you just had.
:(

It sounds like the best would be to go to a specialist, an endodontist, maybe an extraction is not needed?!
Dry socket has to do with many factors, like the patient's health, smoking, the dentist's technique and more. If you want to be on the safe side, go to the relevant specialist: an oral surgeon. There are ways to make 99.99% sure that the dry socket will not come.

Its NHS so don't think I have that option :( think my only choice is the local dentist. I'm considering ringing the doctor in the morning & hopefully they'll give me antibiotics but don't know what to do if they don't. My dentist is away. I've had some pain in my cheek & bit in my neck. Some earache & czant bite diwn on that side again. Also very sore around the tooth & gum. Feels like its swollen or something. It was getting better until a few days after the antibiotics finished. Was 5 days not enough? :(
 
I got note antibiotics from the doctor. Its only been just over 24hrs but no improvement yet. I'm worried that I have an abscess. How can I tell if I do? I had the root canal done about 10 years ago. It broke so she's refilled it & that was the start of the pain. I've had some ear pain & jaw but nothing that meant I needed painkillers. The gum area on the outer side of the tooth is really sore & down also sorebut it doesn't look any different to the rest of my gums. When I press on my cheek neat it it hurts a bit & feels harder than the other side. Second lot of antibiotics. I'm panicking because its still 3 weeks till me dentist is back BT I'm wondering if I should see if they'll let me see the other one but I don't know him & I'm really scared & nervous.
 
Hi
the antibiotics will take 24hours before they begin to work so hopefully you're now getting some relief.
Retreating an old rootfilling is difficult and is best done by an endodontist.
It's unlikely that you will get that on the NHS I'm afraid so you may have to have it removed.
As was said earlier, dry socket is quite unusual and good technique helps.
fingers crossed
 
Back
Top