• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just had all uppers and 2 lowers extracted almost a weekago

M

Mary_U

well it will be a week tomorrow. They put immediate Upper plate in, but I have to tell ya.. Even after this amt of time. I still have swelling, the left side of my face feels like I got into a punching match.. I still have pain. So like clockwork, I take 1400mgs between Ibuprofin AND Acetaminophen every 6 hrs along with amoxicillan. I do use fixodent on the plate, but now it feels as is its cutting.. ( I dont see any cuts, it just feels like it) To help with the hard aches in my jaw, I use a heating pad..
I still only eat very soft foods. and I mean soft. I just dont know how long this is supposed to last. I went to my dentist 2 days after the surgery, they were adjusted, he said I was healing very well. But my god.. pls someone help and tell me what else I can do to ease the pain. this is almost unbareable. Yes they gave me pain meds, but it doesnt work near as good as the combo I take. Thank u for ur time and help with this..o_O

I feel your pain friend! I am new and unqualified but i will try to help you!

Perhaps you are touching the sore area with your tongue without realizing? I for one know how hard it can be to stop prodding, even when you don't notice your doing it you can do it! If you stop that it will defiantly help and if you are not then maybe you should visit a GP or just phone your dentist and ask for some quick advice to clarify for peace of mine. -Gumz

I feel your pain friend! I am new and unqualified but i will try to help you!

Perhaps you are touching the sore area with your tongue without realizing? I for one know how hard it can be to stop prodding, even when you don't notice your doing it you can do it! If you stop that it will defiantly help and if you are not then maybe you should visit a GP or just phone your dentist and ask for some quick advice to clarify for peace of mine. -Gumz

well I keep the plate in all the time.. only take them out to clean.. The gums look real good.. its just the constant throbbing..the bottom where the 2 teeth were removed look great.. 2 days after, the stitch came out lol.. I swish with the salt water etc.. I just wanted to know if anyone else had probs like this with the pain, and if so, how long did it last.. Also ty Gumz for ur reply

My mum said she had a problem like this and it actually took a good few weeks to go down, and at least a month to totally heal. I know this sounds daunting but it will look better in the future! Read my thread below yours please? I also need help. I have been an idiot and deserve my pain thought. No problem for the reply and i wish you the very best of luck! -Gumz

Hi Mary_U :welcome: there are a few people on here that are having the same problems as you, Kim has just got some new dentures and reading her Journal may help start from the last page and work back.

Bisja also had dentures put straight in so her journal might be of more help.

Hello Mary and welcome

I am so sorry that you are still having pain. I was only looking the other day at the pictures that I took a few days after my extractions, and my face went through all sorts of 'emotions' as well as colours etc from the bruising. It did last quite a while, and we all heal differently, so time wise you may take a little longer, but it will go.

Unlike you, I didn't get immediate's, but I do have read that you should give your mouth a rest for a couple of hours each day, and I have it on very good authority (Gordon, and I have tried it too) that if you run your denture under really cold water just before you put them in, there is a wonderful sense of relief for a short while.

I think you should give your dentist a quick ring and just explain that you are still having the throbbing and pain, as although it is still early days, you need to find out if this is something that should still be happening. I think that if your dentist can clarify this for you.

I have had my dentures adjusted a few times now, and today being the last. It is amazing with a little 'tweaking' and a lot of patience from my dentist, how much easier they can feel. It is like a vicious circle, because if your mouth is sore and you are in pain, then wearing your denture will aggravate it and you won't have any release from the suffering.

I also don't feel it is a good idea to continually be having to take pain meds. I was given some strong painkillers for the first few days after my extractions, and then told if I needed to, take Ibuprofen, but to be honest, after I had finished the strong tablets, I didn't need to have to take anything else.

I so hope you get the relief that you need, and that your period of adjustment is made easier for you.

Let us know, and if I can be of any further help, please get back to me.

Take care.

Kim

Back