• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Listerine mouthwash

  • Thread starter Thread starter Xena021
  • Start date Start date
X

Xena021

Former Member
Hi I've tried Listerine mouthwsh and I don't think it give s enough protection against caries at all. I used it for a couple of weeks after brushing. It is better to brush and not rinse out the toothpaste. Listerine contains alcohol so it is effective against bad breath etc. Use once in a while maye. Anyone who thinks listerine is effective? I tried the green one with fluoride.
 
My dentist recommends the Purple bottle of Listerine, I tried it but I don't like it....it has some fluoride in it, but it does not seem to really advertise much about cavity protection on the bottle...I never feel like it's making much difference aside from working effectively as a breath freshener. It makes my mouth burn and my tongue goes numb after I use it...temporarily losing sensation to a body part after use, can't possibly be good or beneficial to your health. I prefer the Act mouthwash (a hygienist recommended this to me once)...alcohol free so there is no burn, it tastes good, and only contains fluoride with a breath freshener. Does the same job without the harsh side effects, you can't compete with that! :)

Kitkat
 
Listerine does very little against caries, it will kill some bacteria but not prevent decay. Fluorides do the job best and yes, it's best to brush with a fluoride toothpaste, and spit but not rinse.

Thomas Karmen
 
Personally I wouldn't use it at all...kills the good bacteria as well as the bad and too harsh because of the alcohol content.
 
Back
Top