• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower Denture Soon

M

MelJJ

Hi,

This forum was a life-saver for me a few years ago when I had to pluck up the courage to visit the dentist for the first time in 20-odd years. I ended up having several top teeth extracted and a top denture - it has been absolutely life changing for me. I now have to go through it all again with my bottom ones which was expected. I have had to sign up with a new dentist because my previous lovely lady didn't return from maternity leave and this new dentist is not particularly empathetic unfortunately. After getting rather emotional, I had to fight for teeth extractions (he wanted to put in wire on to make them stable rather than do anything else, oh and suggested implants which I cannot afford), so he has agreed to take some out - not all of them which is what I wanted because I am not interested in a temporary fix and because they are wobbly they will come out eventually. To me, not doing it all now means eventually I will need more work which will be another cost. Please can I ask you guys how you get with a bottom denture as well as a top one. He was trying to put me off but I am adamant this is what I want.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mel

Hi @MelJJ great to hear that things have turned out so well with the top denture :thumbsup!:.

I can't speak from personal experience, but from what has been posted on this forum over the years, bottom dentures tend to be harder to get used to than top dentures, mainly because of the lack of natural suction. @Jodie Nelson wrote a great post on this a few days ago:

If you can hang onto some of the lower teeth to act as anchors for a denture, that will probably make things a lot easier, even as a transition to full dentures sometime in the future.

Some people adapt to bottom dentures more readily than others, but it's not very predictable. As there's no going back (especially if implants are out of reach financially), I think your current dentist is giving good advice purely in dental terms. Though from your description, it sounds as if you don't particularly like your new dentist. Is there any way you can see somebody else? Not sure if this is NHS or private - there should be no shortage of dentists if you're seeing them privately... if it's NHS, you can still ask to see someone else within the same practice?

Hi Letsconnect,

Thank you for your reply. I did suspect the bottom ones will be harder to get on with and I will definitely read @Jodie Nelson post as well.

I will have some teeth left for an anchor as you mention (which I also have at the top). He will be taking the 4 front ones out. I suppose really I was hoping for more out because more than 4 feel wobbly and I am so scared of still having wobbly teeth left in my mouth - I would just rather get rid of them and the fear that goes with it. Implants are not only too expensive for me but all along I have thought I just don't want something screwed into my jaw, and of course there is bone loss as well.

As for my new dentist, it was the first time I met him and I just didn't feel he had read my previous notes properly and taken into account how scared I am. He went on about not being able to eat meat ! I explained I really don't care about that and living with the fear of wobbly teeth overides that, and having the top ones out was live-changing. My other lady was so lovely (private because no NHS available), and when I researched other dentists at the same practice his write up mentioned working with people with phobia which was why I took a chance and chose him. When I got upset neither he or his assistant even bothered offering me a tissue, I had to ask for one - these little gestures make a world of difference to someone who is scared, I had even taken Diazepam to get me through the door. At the end of the appointment he asked if I was nervous about the extractions - Doh, what do you think ! so we discussed dosages of the Diazepam for when I go for that. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and see how it goes, I really don't want to look around and start researching all over again, I just want it done. If I'm really not keen on him, for any future stuff I will just have to look elsewhere.

Thanks again for your reply.

Mel

@MelJJ Hi Mel!

I can’t speak from personal experience, but I can absolutely sympathize with the wobbly teeth and the worry! I’ll be getting extractions done in November, and right now it’s looking like four (my upper fronts) but there’s one tooth that seems very loose to me and I’m so worried about it! I totally get that feeling, of worrying that you’ll just need more work done, and that they won’t stay in place.

I’m glad you fought to be heard with the new dentist and that you’re willing to look elsewhere if you need to. You should absolutely find someone who is willing to listen and who understands your needs and concerns.

Also, this is just my own little thing, but I’m so glad to hear how having a top denture has been life changing! (I’m a little worried about getting a partial myself so hearing about anyone who has a full or partial always makes me feel better.)

I’m also in the same camp as not wanting implants. The idea of having posts in my jaw didn’t really appeal to me (nor is it something I think I‘ll ever be able to afford.) I know a lot of people just go straight to implants, but I’ve seen such happiness from others who’ve had removable dentures. It really just depends on what works for you! Don’t be forced into anything you don’t want.
Also the meat eating thing is so weird. My uncle has full dentures and he eats whatever he wants. Like I do mean anything. Corn on the cob, meat (including steak), nuts. You wouldn’t know he had a full set even if he didn’t tell you!

But it sounds like you’ve got yourself set pretty straight on what you want and you won’t be intimidated. That’s really good. Remember to communicate, remember you’re the customer, and they cannot do anything without your permission. At the same time, you don’t want to lose any more teeth than you have to, so I think perhaps the dialogue between your dentist and yourself needs to be clearer?

I’ve found the Subreddit for Denture wearers to be very helpful as well if you’d like more information on getting and living with dentures. It’s very encouraging and full of helpful tips.

Best of luck, and let us know how you’re getting on!

Hi APhobicQueen,

Thank you for taking the time to reply - it was very helpful. I will definitely look at the Subreddit for Denture wearers - knowledge is power apparently, ha !

Wobbly teeth is so scary isn't it? The fear of wobbly teeth overrides everything, it effects you physically and mentally. My top ones were so bad a few years ago, I got to the point of eating very little and what I did eat was mushed up, I lost quite a bit of weight and not in a good healthy way and looked ill with it (it's all back on now though !), I also got to the point of putting cotton wool down the sides of mouth when I went to bed to stop myself biting down in my sleep, it was a truly awful time. Like I say, having top dentures was life-changing, I have no more fear (for the top at least) and do not feel sick every day anymore, and because in my mind I had accepted that this was my path, I was absolutely fine with it and embraced what was to come.

I have spoken to a few people about how the appointment went for me and it has been suggested I perhaps see if I can see another dentist (incl. a dental assistant that may actually offer me a tissue when I get upset !) - not to dispute the dentist but to see if getting a better feel / vibe from someone else may put me more at ease. The end result will be the same I guess but do I really want to put myself through yet another appointment with a different dentist - I really don't know :(

Thanks again for your time.

Mel

Knowledge is 100% power! Makes me feel oodles (what a fun word lol) better about needing partials honestly!

Oh it is. It is! Worrying in general about teeth you know are a problem is just impossible. I found out I had to get extractions in March and I have to wait till November for them to be done. The paranoia is real. I’m so glad to hear that things went so well for you with the tops and in that regard, you got your life back. I hope your life will be even more rewarding once you get the bottoms done!

It’s a hard decision definitely. I know with my dentist, I briefly considered getting a second opinion because it sounded insane that I would need as many extractions as I did. But I realized my dentist was telling the truth and didn’t just say that to say that. Obviously, your situation is different but I fully believe if you aren’t getting good vibes you should consider keeping options open at the very least. Maybe give it one more appointment? See what happens then?

You’re welcome!

Back