• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Made it through my first proper checkup.

S

Samereynolds

Haven’t been to the dentist in over 10 years since I was a small child and today I had my first proper checkup with X-rays. A few weeks ago I had an emergency appointment because I was worried about my impacted wisdom teeth but turns out even though it’s coming through the gum, they don’t need to be removed because they’re not causing me any problems (not sure why it’s so different over in the US where they remove most wisdom teeth). I’m sure the dentist noticed my other dental issues but she was really nice about it and made me feel comfortable enough to book a checkup appointment.

So today, she took a good look at my teeth, did some X-rays and it turns out I need a few fillings, scale & polish and to remove a broken tooth. I thought it was going to be way worse than that. I was scared I would get told I had periodontal disease etc but that wasn’t mentioned at all although some gums are a little inflamed. When she was calling out numbers I didn’t hear anything higher than a 2 so I guess that’s good? I also thought I was dealing with a dead molar/possible root canal after being elbowed in the face but she didn’t see anything wrong with it.

My story seems consistent with a lot of other people’s stories where they go in thinking they have more problems than they actually do. It’s a bit like googling symptoms of a headache and thinking you have brain cancer. I’m actually looking forward to getting work done and for my scale and polish next week.

Well done! Glad to see it went well and that your dentist made you feel comfortable.

Keep us posted :claps:

Yayyy, Samereynolds!! :jump::jump::jump:

Congrats and well done, sounds like you are back on track with dental health! I am so glad to read that your teeth are in a much better condition that you thought they would be. As you said, most people think it's worse than it is. Thank you for sharing your story and look forward to read how your scale and polish went. It's good to read that you're actually looking forward to the scale and polish. Let me tell you, your teeth will feel so good afterwards! :)

Back