• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Major panic at dentists today.. help!

J

jdk1580

Hello everyone, im new to this site but have been reading posts for the last few months. I am having an absolute nightmare at the moment. About six months ago a bit of one of my back teeth chipped off. The tooth already has a big filling in it. The filling is exposed on one side.. a few days ago a bit more of the tooth came away. There is a gap down the front side of my tooth and food and stuff get stuck in it.. also it leaks a really putrid smelling yellow gunge. It has done for months. There is no pain though. I was reffered to have sedation which i was meant to have today (after 6 months of waiting) and when it came to it. I totally lost it! I had the canula in place and everything :(
I left and am now really scared i will never get this tooth out
My major fear is having an allergic reaction to the lidocaine/anasthetic, my tongue and throat swelling and not being able to breathe. I hate the feeling of being numb so much i thought sedation would help but i just cant do it. has anyone else ever felt like this and is there any hope for me? Im due to fly in 13 days and am scared my tooth will cause me problems.. :confused: Im scared i will get an infection and get poisoned.. im living a nightmare..:(

I was in a similar position, tried to get sedation done but well it wasnt covered by my insurance I couldnt afford it otherwise...

I JUST got my tooth extracted today, the gas did help me calm down enough for her to get it removed but I am still panicky. I know I needed it out, I have been in so much pain the last two weeks I wasnt eating much, sleeping much or very pleasant to be around.

Even if the tooth doesn't hurt now, chances are it will in the future. Take it from a major dental phobe... get it seen to as soon as you can!

Well done!! you did better than me! i just hope i can do it.. i have to do it anyhow as it is abcessed underneath and im flying to france shortly. Scared it will flair up badly on the plane.

I just wish i knew how to get over this debilitating fear i have, i am a rational person but as soon as i smell the dentist surgery i completely lose it. Full blown panic sets in. And i panic for hours after.. imagining delayed allergys that i do know i do not have!! so tired and stressed.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

ask for some oral sedation you can take before you go... that always helps.. will at least take the edge off.. I take something even for a check up. I would think that would be the way to go. Good luck x x

Hi penny, thanks for the reply.. went to see my gp today, broke down in tears.. explained i am terrified and worrying about possible allergies to the anathestic, he explained it is really rare. he also explained that although the numbing injection makes your tongue feel fat it cant swell up.

He prescribed me some valium to take the evening before i have to go and the morning of the appointment.

appointment booked for monday morning.. tooth starting to hurt a bit, not sure if its psycological or real pain.:o Feel a bit hot and bothered too. Scared infection is spreading.

Have to get it sorted as off on holiday in 12 days. Not sure what exactly my problem is.

Asked my mum if there was anything that happened to me as a child to make me freak out about allergic reactions, she didnt come up with anything though.

Does anyone know if the infection can cause any serious problems? will i be alright until monday?

Just going to bite the bullet and get this tooth out!!! have to..:cry:

:XXLhug::grouphug:call the dentist and ask for some anti biotics - sounds like you need to clear the infection. then it should be fine til monday but you really will need to tooth out sweety. we all understand your phobia here - you;re welcome to read my posts about IV sedation if you want, i was totally PETRIFIED but i got through it and its the best thing i did in years !!! no more pain for me or rotten teeth ! hugs to you and let us know how you get on xx as a fellow sufferer of awful panic attacks i really DO know how you feel, but you can do this!!!! you have great support and back up hewre and should never feel like an idiot for admitting your fears, if it was that easy to overcome it and get a grip then we would LOL:grouphug:

Thanks Michelle xx it really does help having people who understand what its like xx going to have a read of your posts in a mo.

just wish i could understand what is causing this awful panic.

Think i will deffo call dentist and get some antibiotics... my panic of allergies is the only thing that is scaring me :cry:.. but its either get over the panic or have toothache. xx

thanks again... jo

you are more than welcome xx
i avoid the dentist like the plague and am a quivering wreck just imagining getting in that chair ! i put up with agonising toothache from exposed nerves for about a year before i finally got the courage to see a good dentist - was my first visit in 7yrs!
you can do this, and once you get the work done, you will feel much better and be able to enjoy france !!

:XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:

Back