• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Molar cracked to the gum line: can extraction wait?

T

tayl123

I was due to get an upper molar extracted. A root canal was started on it and the filling fell out so it was cracked quite badly. I'm due to have this done next month however today the tooth cracked off to the gum line. There is now nothing in the area except a huge hole in my gums (where the root still is I presume).

Just wondered if it could be left until the appointment next month or if it needs to be done quicker? Gums feels a bit swollen but not in any pain as such.

I was due to get an upper molar extracted. A root canal was started on it and the filling fell out so it was cracked quite badly. I'm due to have this done next month however today the tooth cracked off to the gum line. There is now nothing in the area except a huge hole in my gums (where the root still is I presume). Just wondered if it could be left until the appointment next month or if it needs to be done quicker? Gums feels a bit swollen but not in any pain as such.
Hi thereFirstly try not to panic. The positive is that you aren't in any pain. I would advise you to at least get a reassessment by your dentist as soon as you can, though not urgently, for 2 reasons. It might be better to dress the root to stop it becoming sore or infected, and the dentist may need to amend the planned appointment. Ring the receptionist who will hopefully be able to point you in the right direction and stop you worrying between now and next month. In the meantime make sure you brush the root and surrounding gum to keep it clean.

Thanks for your reassurance.

Is it fine to use my usual electric toothbrush in the area? Gum feels swollen and don't want to make it worse in the meantime.

Back