• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

More afraid of my teeth than the dentist.

I'm more afraid of my teeth than the dentist.

I've had dental phobia ever since I can remember with some really bad experiences as a kid, teen and adult. As I reached adulthood mostly I would go in "putting out fires" mode. only when there needed a dental fire to be put out so to say. Because I'd rather run than go to any dentist. Afraid of "the shot", of choking, of gagging, of pain, of my tongue being numb, of being shamed, Negative experience after negative experience helped solidify my fears. Meanwhile I kept sugaring up and drinking soda which was not good at all.

I had one pocket of time I found a good dentist that I felt very comfortable with that was very chill and even funny, but because I had some financial issues and no insurance I couldn't go to him anymore.

Back to the drawing board, took me a few years but finally found a great dentist who I really tackled my fears and shame with and was so kind and again even funny / humor helped distract me from the work , he was just a great person and the whole staff was so I became less and less afraid of the dentist and the procedures themselves.

I have one problem though.. I'm afraid of my teeth. . yes.. afraid of the news.. afraid of what lies underneath the crowns . I have all crowns and partial dentures no natural teeth. I am now on the offense trying to "get my teeth" before they "get me".. so to say. I started with better tooth self care and want to save them as much as I can. But have had a few not too pleasant news of whats underneath and honestly afraid to tackle this at times but I proceed to gain positive momentum and gain victory over my fears and shame onward towards a smile I can feel good about and teeth I can chew properly with.

Thankfully , although I'm on a journey with a newer dentist, as my recent one is changing course, I'm at total peace with him and feel blessed to be with a very competent kind dentist, but.. I still fear my teeth.. Last week I had a root canal retreat , the procedure itself was the best it could be , pain free during and after, shot I barely felt, but my old crown fell off in the midst.. ( has been on for who knows how long.. probably over 15 years or so).. and found decay underneath to a bad point, also ran a ct scan and found one more root. He is going to try to do all he can to save it this up coming week but there is a chance it cannot be saved and I will need an extraction and implant.. not exactly in my plans.. but.. with flex and insurance I can afford one. It will put a halt to some other work I was wanting though.. like getting my teeth to match. well now I"m super afraid to take those front crowns off and find what is lurking under there.

Well.. just felt like venting and sharing. I know I'm not the only one who is more afraid of my teeth than the dentist at this point.

The positives.
1. I"m on the road to self care and although I may face some potholes and "construction zones" I'm on the road as hard as it is

2. I have a choice.. I know that I have kind, gentle, competent and honest dentist that treats me well and doesn't shame me . and I know if I didn't I would have that choice to walk away and you do too. We all deserve this kind of care and it is out there !! We don't have to settle for painful, shame and fear based dentistry any longer!

3. Technology really has come so far and there are so many options to help save our teeth.

4. By walking into what I fear most I gain courage and confidence even in difficult news. I know that I am no less a person because of my teeth issues . We are all courageous walking into our dental journeys no matter where you are in them.

So I walk into this coming week honestly afraid.. afraid of the news.. but hoping for best knowing I have the best possible dentist, an experienced emergency dentist that is used to difficult cases.. I know he will try his best to help me save it because he knows what it means to me. Hopefully it will be good news for me and whatever you are facing this week .. I wish good news for you !!
Both you and me kid! At least we have managed to find some solace with our dentists even if we still hate our teeth! Hope all goes well for you and your next session. Love Simon XX

I am not sure if this helps but I liken it to a home renovation. Sometimes you get halfway into a project and start running into more issues than you expected and it becomes scary to tear down other walls because you’re not sure what problems await you behind them. Best advice that I can offer is to never lose the forest for the trees. Keep your focus on the big picture: your health and remember that with each treatment you are getting closer to the end goal.
What great encouraging words. Many thanks from all of us who read this. Simon XX

Was just thinking of this this morning as I'm pondering my upcoming bonegraft... on one end I'm feeling total peace with the fact my dentist is awesome and will do a great painfree job . I'm realizing the more positive momentum I have with him and the clinic the less I fear and this last trip with my son was huge for trust , but I still fear my teeth..I'm glad to not be afraid of my dentist and have a safe place to go. I'm wishing one day to not be afraid of my teeth too.

When is your next time you go The philsblogbar? You seem to really take such good care to go to all your appts.. and do such a good job!

I went 6 March, just need a small filling. so going next month.

I struggled keeping my teeth clean. losing adult tooth before I am 35 is not bad, I had it removed in 2006. This could have been root canal if I had the dentist I have currently got.

I hate my teeth. I have had a few fillings, less seeing my current dentist.

I am afraid I will lose my teeth,

I went 6 March, just need a small filling. so going next month.

I struggled keeping my teeth clean. losing adult tooth before I am 35 is not bad, I had it removed in 2006. This could have been root canal if I had the dentist I have currently got.

I hate my teeth. I have had a few fillings, less seeing my current dentist.

I am afraid I will lose my teeth,

You are doing such a great job being brave and going each time to care for yourself and your teeth!! You are an inspiration to so many of us!!

You are doing such a great job being brave and going each time to care for yourself and your teeth!! You are an inspiration to so many of us!!

Thanks I don't want to be like my Dad and his brothers, his parents never took him to the dentist, my Dad ended up with false teeth in his early 40s

Back