• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Moved: My Teeth Hurt A Little Bit?

I

ImScared

Hi all! My teeth have just been hurting just a little bit. I made an appointment to get x-rays for tomorrow morning, first thing at 8 am. I am SO SCARED to go. If they are bad cavities of just cavities are they going to rip out my teeth? Please help, i am only 20. :( I brush every day multiple times. I also suffer from dry mouth.

Re: My teeth hurt a little bit?

This bit of the site isn't much use to you, so I've moved this thread into the Support area. Feel free to come back and ask questions in here if you have any.

Hi ImScared,

I can't really offer any kind of diagnosis or prediction; that's what you're having the exam for. ;)

What I will tell you is, the exam is JUST an exam. You'll get x-rays, and the dentist will probably ask to have a look inside your mouth. He (/she) won't touch anything sensitive or cause any pain-- he'll typically use a mirror and something that looks like a pick, but that's really just to move your tongue out of the way. Dentists know better than anyone not to just go poking at teeth that might hurt.

Between the x-rays and the visual inspection, the dentist should have a pretty good idea what treatment you need. He'll probably call out each tooth and what it needs to the assistant, who will note it in your records. And then, you can sit up and talk about what needs to be done and what, if anything, is a priority.

Almost nothing in dentistry is an emergency-- my mouth was full of broken, jagged, shattered teeth when I went in, and I thought they'd immediately freak out and want to start pulling them right there. But the dentist was very calm and just told me that we'd talk after the x-rays.

Once you know the prognosis, you can decide when, how much, and if you want to have any of the work done. If something is actively causing you pain right now, you'll probably want to take care of that sooner, for your own comfort. But the dentist doesn't care. You should also expect not to be shamed or scolded-- you're an adult now, and perfectly entitled to however you want to keep your teeth. The dentist has seen much, much worse, and won't be alarmed or upset with you. He just wants to help you fix your teeth up.

That's really all you should expect tomorrow-- xrays, a visual exam, and a conversation. If the dentist wants to do a cleaning or some additional work, he should ask your permission before starting, and you're COMPLETELY entitled to say, "No, I just want the exam today." That's really very common. No one will force you to do anything without your consent.

Hopefully that helps set your mind at ease, a little. One last word, from someone who's been there myself and has advised hundreds of people on this forum: it's almost always way better news than you anticipate.

Good luck, and good for you for making the appointment and getting yourself there. You'll do great.

hi, thank you for your fast reply. :) your reply did help a lot. :) i am starting with a new dentist tomorrow because my old one was no good, he wanted insurance money and would go and do work and things on teeth when it wasn't needed... he sealed all of my teeth, for example the last time i went when it had already been done 6 months before by him. ever since the seals were done i haven't been able to stop grinding, licking and prodding at my teeth. i think i might two teeth that are broken, but they are both the same teeth (opposite sides) and are the same... no pain at all... so maybe they are like that? i don't know. they are near the front.. but not exactly at the front... they both have spots in the back where it feels with my tongue like they hale holesi n them. i'm not sure if this is normal for those two teeth or not. again, i've never had problems with my mouth until that dentist sealed my teeth and also with wisdom teeth removal last may. i'm just fearful that i'll look like an idiot with no teeth or missing teeth the rest of my life when i take very good care of my teeth. :( i just can't leave them alone, especially with my tongue. i keep trying to slide my tongue in between them and such. but anyway... the dry mouth doesn't help either. i hope everything goes okay. :(than k you again for your reply.

Hi! I am back from the dentist and have very good news for everybody who has read this! no cavities! I have no idea how this can be possible! The "pain" I am experiencing could just be sensitivity, because sometimes when I am out in the cold, my teeth can hurt a bit, and when I eat something of an extreme temperature hot/cold wise. Wow, this just makes my day and life so much better! Also, Steve, I read through some of your stuff and it made me feel a lot better. Thank you. :)

Back