• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Multiple double extractions, what to expect for recovery?

  • Thread starter Thread starter verytrue43
  • Start date Start date
V

verytrue43

Junior member
Joined
Sep 30, 2024
Messages
1
Location
US
I will be getting #15, #16, #17, and #18 extracted under general anesthesia, not sedation. #15 and #18 both have bad cavities, and I both can't afford and can't maintain getting root canals for them, so it was decided extractions would be best. #16 hasn't fully erupted, and #17 is coming in sideways pushing #20 almost completely out of alignment with the other teeth and pushing #22 in front of #23. #17 is also very close to the nerve, and I was told there is potential for temporary nerve issues due to that.

I am really concerned about the recovery. Will having two teeth extracted right next to each other on both the top and bottom make immediate recovery more difficult? Does it increase the likelihood of dry socket or infection at all? Does it increase recovery time? I'm imagining one giant open hole on the top and bottom gums, which sounds horrible to me, so any insight is appreciated. More context: I am getting this done under general anesthesia, not light or medium sedation, due to an extreme gag reflex. I am only concerned about the recovery, this is where my biggest fear is. I do not drink or smoke.
 
I am really concerned about the recovery. Will having two teeth extracted right next to each other on both the top and bottom make immediate recovery more difficult?
No.

Does it increase the likelihood of dry socket or infection at all?
No.

Does it increase recovery time?
No.
I'd ask about getting some local anaesthetic placed at the extraction sites during the GA, it helps with immediate post-extraction pain and helps clots form faster due to the epi in the local. I used to do it routinely but I'm not sure if they do it in the US.
 
Back
Top