• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need Advice, Really depressed over this.

C

cnhand84

This is gonna be a long post, I'm sorry. Please bare with me. I really need someone to talk too.

In August I had a tooth pulled. Bottom Crown from last year that got infected under it. Went okay.

Around that same time I was having an issue with the molar on top of it. It was sensitive to cold (not that bad) but zingy but dentist suggested we replace that filling after my extraction was healed. (2 fillings in that tooth, middle of tooth and edge of front of the tooth. Had the middle of tooth one replaced. (other one was replaced about a year ago) (this dentist takes insurance)

Got that silver filling replaced with composite. Big filling. Said went fine, no root canal needed. Very anxious over this. Was still sensitive randomly along with premolar in front of it, so went to my dentist again. Said just sensitive, try not to focus on it. Maybe also might be inflamed sinuses, so I got put on antibiotics for sinus infection. (sinuses looked inflamed on xray) Also referred to ENT (havent had appt yet)

About 2 weeks later, I had bad sensitivity to drinking cold on that molar for about a day and half. and My premolar in front of it also has been sensitive. Filling in that premolar, done about 3 1/2 years ago. So my primary doctor said maybe get a second opinion anyway. Went to a dentist who dosent take insurance (had to pay outta pocket). He looked at my tooth did the cold test with endo ice. It was really sensitive to cold (always has been I guess) but took cold a little longer to go away than expected. (still like 30 seconds; not minutes) not sensitive to tapping, yes filling deep but not into root. Said honestly undermined, come back in 3 weeks and hed pull it or root canal if reevulated(pay out of pocket). not sensitive to tapping/ he was hesitate it felt like on what it needed so we'd re-evaluate. Told my main dentist, she still says don't think needs root canal. I've lite the teeth up with a flashlight, don't see any cracks. Keep in mind I've also had a full checkup with my main dentist a month ago (cleaning the works) and had xrays... The weirdness I feel dosen't feel like the way it did with my crowned tooth, I had broken that one)

Fast forward to now.. its been about 2 and half weeks later. (sorry this is long).

The sensitivity on molar to cold has really decreased. If I put an ice cube on it (yes i tested it) I feel cold alot but it goes away quickly (prob less than 10 seconds). If I drink regularly, pretty much feels okay. The premolar in front of it also still feels weird. This pain is not throbbing pain on either tooth. Sometimes when I press on the molar and premolar I feel like pressure, weird sensation. Not always. Just sometimes. Sometimes when my premolar below it hits premolar, I feel a little bit of pressure sensitivity. But heres also the kicker. My gums between these two teeth on the cheek side and tongue side, look red inbetween them, and sometimes they bleed. when they bleed, I feel the pressure pain more. when they look really red, and I touch the teeth with my tongue, they feel weird, hurty. When I eat, they seem to be okay. I'll be honest, I'm not the best flosser. The more I touch the teeth with my tongue, and the gums around them, the sorer it seems to make them. Sometimes they are fine. I asked my dentist during one of the appts about the red gums.. my main dentist said oh they dont look very red.... when i went to the other dentist he mentioned how red and inflamed they looked.

I'm so confused on if something is actually really wrong, or if this is just some kind of icky sensitivity. I don't want to pull teeth that don't need pulled. but I'm also very depressed over this because I don't know what to do. I tried to talk to my sister, and she has no real idea. Not much experience. I have an appt to get a 3rd opinion today (just cuz my anxiety is so bad). But I don't want to get teeth extracted if I don't have too. And losing the one last month has amplified my anxiety over this. :(

Any thoughts on this? Please help me!!!

Last edited:
cnhand84,

First of all, sounds like you are being really diligent about getting the peace you need before you do something youre not sure of and good for you!! Great you are getting a 3rd consult appt today, and hope that really gives you a good peace of mind! Its hard to know what to do sometimes.. Not sure what time your appt is but let us know how that goes and how you feel about things after that. Wishing you the best!

Appt is later today, about 5 hours from now!!! And thats what I mean... first dentist says its not dying, she' cant find anything wrong with teeth.. second dentist says it might be dieing, it can die anytime... so I got even more scared of course.

And even my premolar feels sensitive and I know all about referred pain but it dosent even feel like how my last one felt (the one I had pulled that got infected) . So I don't know what the heck is wrong.... or if anything is wrong.

cnhand84,

First of all, sounds like you are being really diligent about getting the peace you need before you do something youre not sure of and good for you!! Great you are getting a 3rd consult appt today, and hope that really gives you a good peace of mind! Its hard to know what to do sometimes.. Not sure what time your appt is but let us know how that goes and how you feel about things after that. Wishing you the best!

Last edited:
Thats a hard situation ... really hope this appt can shed some light and give you a good gut feeling and confirm one thing or another for you.. Its hard not to know..

Thanks!

Yeah I'm losing sleep over it, and its stressing me out so bad. I'm one of those people who hate being indecisive.

Thats a hard situation ... really hope this appt can shed some light and give you a good gut feeling and confirm one thing or another for you.. Its hard not to know..

Dear cnhand84,

sorry to read about your situation. First of all, keep in mind that you are the only person who decides about what will happen to your teeth. If you feel like the sensitivity is getting better, it is your right to give the tooth more time. If you fell like it all might be about your gums (and gums can be as painful as a tooth), then you might make sure to floss and clean the area diligently to get the inflamation down or ask a dentist to help you. It is good you want to get a third opinion. If any dentist advises you on undergoing treatment, they should be albe to explain to you the reasons for it, especially if it is about root canal treatments or extractions.
It sounds like your last consultation had happened already, may I ask what the dentist said?

All the best wishes

Got the 3rd opinion on Friday.

This dentist thinks its my bite. My molar an premolar still sore but seems to be my premolar more maybe. It also seems that my premolar is one of the only two teeth on that side of my mouth hitting now (other one is a molar, not the sore one) so he thinks its taking the brunt force and making it sore. I had a tooth pulled in August (yes on that side of mouth) so maybe its now hitting more than it used too. I don't know. He wants me to come baCk in a few weeks to have it drilled down a little bit and adjusted to line up more. I hope this helps. Still concerned its a dying tooth or teeth. Scared Nothing unusual on xray right now. .

Well, I had my main dentist check my bite, and she adjusted the tooth that is hurting a little bit, and the one below it. its still sore (might be for a while). it does feel like it lines up better now (I think). just wondered is it pretty normal for my bite to feel a little bit weird, since its still a change? (only been a day). and also, it feels like the two teeth that hit now feel like they are kinda rough when they hit, maybe since she drilled away some enamel it might take time for it to feel normal. like hollow or like sandpaper hitting? its hard to describe!!! im not used to it yet of course. LOL

and we'll see if this helps i guess.

Back