• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need answers and help ASAP getting dentures

M

mom2layla

I am getting dentures IN 2 weeks and so :cry:scared to death ,when I went to see the new dentist , he is trying to force me into getting both upper and lower dentures, I tried to tell him I did not need both, only need the upper as those teeth were all bad only 9 upper teeth left,
now my bottom teeth 8 of those are left,and they are all up in the front and nothing wrong with them not rotting or anything ,all the ones in the back were removed years ago , My general dentist told me to get upper dentures he told me that I didn't need the bottom dentures .:confused:
The denture Dr is telling me I wont be able to eat or chew or :shame:anything unless I get the bottom denture too, it is one thing if I really needed them but isn't it my decision and my money paying for this? He also told me if I just got the uppers it wouldn't look right !!I am so scared I don't know what to do, my girlfriend said to find another Dr that will listen to me and not bully me I don't know what to do . anybody here can help me? I do not know a thing about dentures and I do not know who to ask.. can't I have upper dentures and my natural 8 front teeth on the bottom ? Anybody here have just upper dentures,and can function normally ?
it is after all my decision and what I want ,I am thinking he just wants to get the extra money from me, I live in a small town and not much of a choice in denture Drs :cry:

Last edited:
Hi,

Nobody desreves to be bullied. If this dentist you mentioned speaks to you rudely, don't go to this clinic. on the other hand, although your relationship with the "denture dentist" are not that great right now, it might change later on...
As a dentist I can tell you that having 8 natural teeth in the lower jaw against an upper full denture does not allow the patient good chewing nor stability for the upper denture, because while eating or even closing the mouth most of the force goes to the front teeth (both upper denture and lower teeth) and the denture tilt out or rock a bit. It is strongly advised to have more lower molars at the back (so that the back teeth will carry the forces when closing the teeth together).
In any case, if you choose to wait with the lower denture it is also fine (as you said, you are the boss) and you can have the lower denture made in the future.

Ty Dr ,do I have to get a full bottom denture or can they put in a partial on the bottom? I can't see removing those healthy teeth ,or I absolutely need a bottom denture in order for the top denture function properly?
I am all alone in this process nobody to be there with me so I do not know what to do?:confused:

Ty Dr ,do I have to get a full bottom denture or can they put in a partial on the bottom? I can't see removing those healthy teeth ,or I absolutely need a bottom denture in order for the top denture function properly?
I am all alone in this process, nobody to be there with me so I do not know what to do?:confused:
I talked to a neighbor and she has dentures just top and no dentures on the bottom just her natural 10 teeth on the bottom same position as my teeth are except she has 1 more tooth than I do, but mine was a wisdom tooth and it was removed , and she told me ,don't let them take your natural healthy teeth there is no need to have them removed just to look normal and for the dentures to fit they can adjust the dentures to fit properly and that I can function very nicely with just the top denture no problem eating or talking, so I am so confused and so scared and do not know what to do? This is why I have a fear of dentists they talk you into procedures that are not needed anybody here that has just upper dentures,that could help me?:cry: I plan on getting partials for the bottom at a later date

Last edited:
Ty Dr ,do I have to get a full bottom denture or can they put in a partial on the bottom?
Not at all, no need to extract teeth for a denture (we call it partial denture), quite on the contrary: The more natural teeth the more stable is the denture.

Back