• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Never been to dentist. Don't brush often.

  • Thread starter Thread starter greendinosaur
  • Start date Start date
G

greendinosaur

Junior member
Joined
Aug 30, 2012
Messages
3
I brush maybe once or twice a week. Low self-esteem, hating myself, I feel like I have no reason to keep up with myself because I don't really have any friends. Earlier today, while eating a pizza roll, one of my teeth chips out. The front half. The back half is still there and doesn't feel out of place.

Is there a way to fix this? Or rather is there hope for me, with the years of neglect I've given my teeth? I'm 22 right now and I feel like I must have kept up this "once or twice" since the beginning of high school.....
 
Hi greendinosaur,

It's pretty likely the tooth can be saved, but you'll need a dentist and an x-ray to really tell. Typically if the rest of the tooth is healthy (I know that sounds weird, but most of your tooth is invisible below the gumline, so even if you haven't taken great care of your teeth, it's still possible that the rest of the tooth is still healthy bone), a dentist can build it back up and apply a crown.

I'm so sorry you're so down on yourself. Self esteem is definitely tied to taking care of yourself, and they often reinforce each other, both positively and negatively. If you start taking care of yourself, you'll feel better about yourself, and if you feel better about yourself, you'll be more inclined to take care of yourself. The hard part is getting from a low point like yours, to a point where you really like yourself and can project a positive image, and can start emphasizing your positive strengths and attracting new friends. Sometimes talk therapy can help, or joining a support group. (As can talking through your problems on a forum like this, where you can learn that lots of other people have problems with their teeth too...) I can assure you that having bad teeth doesn't make you a bad person.

It's never too late to start taking care of your teeth and building good habits. Check around for a dentist near you that seems friendly (there are recommendations on this site or just Google), and you should find that the right dentist will help you fix your teeth back up without lecturing or shaming you. Fixing your teeth up might be the first step on the road to feeling better about yourself.

Good luck, and thanks for posting! :jump::jump:
 
Hi greendinosaur, Steve's said it all really, and brilliantly, as he always does. I just wanted to say that at 22, there's plenty of hope for you! I was over 30 when I finally found the motivation to go to a dentist, and much to my surprise, I didn't end up with any extractions. I read somewhere that a person will only ever have five TRUE friends in their lifetime, as opposed to casual acquaintances, which made me feel better about being something of a "loner" myself. I'm far better at communicating on a forum than I am at talking in person. I think quite a few people are the same really. We can't all be the life and soul of the party. My best friends have come through shared hobbies...if there's a particular thing you like to do, that might be a place to meet like-minded people. And you can always chat on here...this is the friendliest, least judgemental forum on the planet. Good luck.:clover:
 
Change your life see a therapist and commit to long term improvement.
Teeth problems may seem terrible but they all can be fixed I'm more concerned about you than your teeth.
Really see a therapist it will be the best gift to yourself and anyone who knows you.
 
Hi greendinosaur and :welcome:

I sense from your post that you're unhappy right now and probably have been for quite a while :there-there:.

The thing is, that life is like a book and everyone's individual book is different. Page one starts with the day that you were born and each page that follows contains all sorts of experiences, memories, thoughts and feelings and these are influenced by the people around you (family, friends, people at work or school) as well as events that occur and things that happen to you and other people. You can't change what's already been written in your book, but can decide what the new, fresh pages are going to say.:)

Everyone's sense of self esteem (or self worth) is slightly different. There are several things in life that help you to get a sense of who you are, what your goals are and how you feel about yourself and the people around you. When you feel sad, lonely or scared, it's easy to forget that there are plenty of good things about you and your life too.

As a hypnotherapist, I quite often see people who feel like you do right now and I can tell you that it is totally possible to feel a lot better about yourself... and your teeth :). Problems with low self esteem can leave a person feeling overwhelmed and unsure about where to start and so I think some form of talking therapy could really be helpful for you. I don't know whether that's a possibility for you, but talking to someone who is there to listen and to help, can help you to think more clearly and to start feeling better about things. You've posted on this forum, which is a sign that maybe you want to change things and that's a good start. You will find plenty of support and encouragement from people all over the world on here.

You've seen the reply from comfortdentist... teeth problems can be fixed, so that's good news and I hope that it helps you to see that there are always options and choices. Please do consider talking to someone about the way that you feel because as Aldridge has said, at 22 there is plenty of hope - you have your whole life ahead of you :).
 
Does it hurt to have my teeth cleaned? Do they use any drills or anything like that? What about X-rays do those hurt?

And what makes you guys so sure my teeth are fine? I know they could look a LOT worse, but at the same time if this happened to one tooth what's stopping it from happening to all of them? :(

...and I'm not sure if this in particular has to do with my teeth, but I get stressed about so many insignificant things and I started biting my cheeks/gums to deal with it. Now I seem to do that involuntarily. Is that a sign of bad teeth/mouth too??
 
The reality is, almost everything at the dentist's office can be done painlessly. I've had root canals, extractions, fillings, crowns, cleanings, and probably a few more you've never heard of, and almost all of them with no pain at all. For most procedures, you will be made completely numb (well, the specific part of the mouth to be worked on will be) before any work is done at all. So as scary as the drill seems, you should never feel any pain at all during drilling. If you experience even the tiniest bit, the dentist will stop and make you number.

Cleaning doesn't hurt but it can be a little uncomfortable, to be honest. Most of the cleaning involves a trained hygienist using hand tools to clean and floss your teeth. Typically they'll also use polishing tool which is kind of like an electric toothbrush. This vibrates a lot but isn't a drill, and doesn't hurt. Cleaning is usually done without anesthetic, but if you're extra nervous there are things the dentist can give you to relax, including "laughing gas" (a low level of nitrous oxide that calms you down), conscious sedation or "twilight", or just some local anesthetic to numb up the area.

X-rays don't hurt a bit. You'll be asked to bite down on a big plastic "bit" that holds some x-ray film (or these days a digital x-ray receptor), and then a picture is taken. Some offices have a panoramic machine that takes one big wraparound x-ray. More commonly you'll need to hold the bit in different parts of your mouth to take six to twelve-ish pictures. If you have a bad gag reflex like me this can be uncomfortable, but doesn't hurt.

But the first step BEFORE all this is to have a consultation with the dentist. He will have a visual look around your mouth with his little mirror, and usually will want to get some x-rays. And then you will have a conversation about what work you need. That's usually enough for most people on their first visit, without anyone doing anything at all to their teeth. Cleanings and other procedures can be scheduled later.

You are right that we're only guessing when we say your teeth aren't that bad. Only the dentist can really tell you, and usually only with some x-rays to show the non-visible parts of your teeth. From my own personal experience and from hearing from a lot of other patients on this forum, it's not typical that a single broken tooth at your age is the sign of major trauma. (Although, I think everyone here has had that feeling of, "surely they'll need to pull all my teeth!"). It IS a sign that you need to have that tooth fixed up before it gets worse, and it's possible that you'll need some other work too. There's no possible way to tell from your short description, but let me tell you this: I went back to the dentist at 40, and I had entire molars that had broken down to the gumline, and had been breaking and crumbling for over ten years. I could run my tongue around my teeth and feel sharp, jagged bits and big gaps all over my mouth. I hadn't brushed my teeth regularly in 20 years. Now, my treatment plan isn't short, but my dentist has built up and fixed each broken tooth, and I have an almost complete, white smile now. (I lost one back molar that was too far gone.) Strangely, many of the teeth in my mouth are completely fine. Others on here have been in similar situations and come away with only a handful of cavities. Each mouth is different. So, I certainly don't KNOW what you'll find out, but I can tell you that at your age, and with just the one tooth broken, it's pretty darn likely that your teeth can be cleaned up. That one tooth might need some major work, or it might need extracting, but even so, there's so many options (crowns, bridges, implants, partial dentures or "flippers") for replacing a lost tooth that your dentist will be able to fix it one way or another.

The one thing that is known is that the longer you wait, the more work you'll need. You certainly don't need to be lectured to know that, but I wish I'd listened more to that voice of reason when I was younger. I could have saved myself a lot of time, money, and dental visits by just fixing my bum tooth when it broke, instead of waiting and worrying while my mouth got worse and worse.

The gum biting thing just sounds like a nervous habit (completely uneducated guess there...). I do really think you could benefit a lot from finding a counselor, therapist, or coach of some sort to talk about the fact that you feel crappy. We all go through low periods in our lives, and I sound like an old man saying this, but life's too short to spend a lot of time hating yourself. Talking about it with someone who's a good listener can really help you take control of all the bad thoughts and to start acting and feeling happy.

Sorry, a little preachy in this response, but I really care about you (because I've been where you are in my own life) and want you to know that it can get so much better.

Take care... :hug4:
 
Thanks for all the support :)
what about brushing my teeth right now, until I can find someone to examine my teeth? Is there any possible way this one tooth can affect the two surrounding it and etc etc? Should I be gentle with them? How much can I fix on my own through getting some proper hygiene going on or am I out of luck there?

OK, I'm impatient and freaking out so I decided to brush my teeth again. Both times I've done it today, there's been a bit of blood. Of course, that's happened before too.. Idk if that's normal out of just brushing too hard?
 
Last edited:
I don't think there's ever a bad time to start brushing your teeth. :grin: You won't do any damage to them by brushing them, although you may find that the broken tooth gives you some pain if you brush it (then again you may not). If that's the case, you can avoid brushing there, but really just for your own comfort. You're not going to open anything up or cause any more damage. You may also find that your gums bleed some. That's to be expected if you haven't been brushing regularly. Keep brushing (and flossing if you can) and the gums will get healthier and stop bleeding, usually in a couple of weeks. If you prefer, get a "gentle" toothbrush and brush lightly, and increase slightly as you get used to it. You don't have to brush aggressively-- the movement of the bristles across your teeth does all the work.

You can read about brushing and decay here on the site.

For the most part, teeth don't really affect their neighbors. A cavity in one tooth won't "spread" to the next tooth. Although, of course, letting plaque accumulate on your teeth is a risk to any surface.

Starting brushing now won't really "fix" your teeth on its own, but it will help prevent further decay and also will help improve the condition of your gums, which is really important.

Bottom line, get to brushing!!!
 
OK, I'm impatient and freaking out so I decided to brush my teeth again. Both times I've done it today, there's been a bit of blood. Of course, that's happened before too.. Idk if that's normal out of just brushing too hard?
You edited while I was answering! :giggle:

You want to avoid brushing TOO hard, meaning don't push real hard or lean on the brush. But you should brush along the gumline and all surfaces of the teeth, and if your gums are a little irritated there may be some bleeding. Usually that's just a result of your gums being sensitive, and it should diminish and stop after a while if you keep up the brushing. (Probably within a week or two, but your mileage may vary).

On balance the benefit you get from starting to brush regularly is going to outweigh any possible damage you might cause by overbrushing, and when you get to the dentist you can get some confirmation from her! :grin:
 
I think the only thing I can add on here is that you need a soft toothbrush, or if you can afford to get one an electric toothbrush I use an oral b and they are often sold for half price, you change the brush heads every three months.

An elec brush will do the job for you, you just hold them on the teeth at the front, then the back, and then the underside.

If you brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes, morning and night last thing before you get into bed. Then use a mouth wash at dinner time and floss if you can, at least once a day, at any time your mouth will start to get healthier. You will need to see a dentist to see if you need any treatment, other than having the broken tooth sorted out.

If you start the ball rolling by cleaning your teeth it will go a long way to make you feel you are part of the treatment and cure.

I think you have been given some very good advise in the posts, I hope it has helped you and I hope you can start to feel better about yourself soon. :)
 
I am 49 and saw the dentist FOR THE FIRST TIME 6 years ago for 2 fillings. Didn't hurt. In April I had a molar pulled. Didn't hurt. Since April, I've had 12 fillings, a cleaning, and what was left of 2 wisdom teeth pulled (that was yesterday). Didn't hurt. If anything, I have sometimes had mild soreness afterwords which a couple of Tylenol took care of--except for the extractions in which they gave me vicodin and motrin 800 and that took care of any discomfort.
 
Back
Top