• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New dental crown with extreme cold sensitivity

A

Animalhouse

I'm really freaking out now and my anxiety has been absolutely through the roof all week. I got my permanent crown cemented last Wednesday and ever since, I've been having extremely sharp pain when exposed to cold. I was at the dentist today for I think the 11th time since March. I was diagnosed with reversible pulpitis which makes sense because there was quite a bit of trauma to that tooth with removing the old, large filling, getting a new build up, plus the temp crown and now the permanent one. However, I don't know if I downplayed my pain to the dentist. I told him that I had cold sensitivity but I didn't mention that the pain is very sharp (lasting a few seconds and then goes away) I have a tendency of underestimating my pain at the doctor/dentist because inside I just want to go home and hide under a pile of blankets with my cat.

My main fear is needing a root canal after all of this and after getting my brand new $1,000+ crown that I had to pay for out of pocket because I maxed out the insurance with the other work. If I had any idea this would happen, I would have waited one month until the new plan year started so that it would have been covered. Anyway, does anyone else have experience with this? I'm really hoping that it will heal soon on it's own. I just can't take this stress anymore and I feel like I'm reaching my breaking point. I also had sensitivity with the temp crown but this is worse. :shame:

I think the best thing to do is to try to leave it alone as best you can. Try to avoid cold food/drinks if that’s what bothers it because you just need to let the tooth settle down if it can. I think it can be tough to know which teeth will settle and which won’t However, I can tell to that, from my experience, the teeth that have needed root canals have been in excruciating pain all the time and we’re keeping me up at night. If your sensitivity comes and goes and is only from cold, you probably have a good chance of it settling. Hang in there!

I agree don't keep testing it! Stay off really hot and cold drinks for a few weeks! Even try not to eat on it! I know it’s easier said than done!!! I’m sure the tooth will recover then x

Thank you. I have been avoiding to the best of my ability. My teeth on the other side also had work done and are sensitive as well, but not nearly as bad as the crowned tooth. So it only hurts when the cold stuff accidentally goes over there. Even room temperature drinks have been bothersome. I guess I'll just have to wait it out. I've just been getting frustrated because I've been in so much pain for the past month and I'm running out of warm mushy food to eat. :(

Here's an update. It has now been 13 days since my most recent dental procedure. The sharp pain associated with cold food and drinks remains near my crowned tooth. In addition, the molar on the other side of my mouth that was cold sensitive is now much more sensitive than before. I'm really reaching the end of my rope here. Along with both of those issues, I've had a lingering ache in my jaw area around the same area and also the jaw line near my lymph nodes in my neck. Does anyone have any clue what this could be? Do I now have pulpitis on both sides? Could there be an infection? My worst fear is needing a root canal on my new expensive crowned tooth and also needing one on the OTHER side.

The sharp pain with cold goes away quickly and doesn't seem to linger with the exception of the jaw pain. A few nights ago it woke me up during the night and I took 1 Aleve to go back to bed. It wasn't excruciating pain. It was more like a terribly annoying dull/achy pain which I still feel now, mostly after eating or sleeping. On the crowned molar, there is only a small amount of discomfort when chewing (right side) I no longer have chewing pain on the left side as of yesterday. Is there any chance that this annoying pain will go away? I just wish I knew how long I have to live like this. Also to clarify, the two teeth in question are the two lower molars that are just before the wisdom teeth, making it extremely difficult to eat anything that is not too hot or too cold.

I really don't know what to do. I've been feeling this way every day for the past month, actually over a month now :cry: and I don't know how much longer I can live like this. Sometimes i think things will only improve once I am dead. Not that I want to die, but I don't particularly want to live either.

Oh hun I know what u mean about living with pain constantly and stressing about your teeth! I too have been living my dental hell with a new crown for the last month too! Mines already root canalled so I’m very anxious! I think the fact that the cold sensitivity only lasts a short while and goes is good? Could u be clenching/grinding your teeth at night with all the stress? Hopefully a dentist will come along and answer soon? Take care this pain will go soon! X

It is quite possible that I have been grinding or clenching my teeth at night because I have been under a huge amount of stress over this, other health issues, and family stuff. There were a few times when I woke up during the night that my teeth felt a little sore like from clenching and not other dental issues. Could explain the jaw pain as well. I guess I really just need to chill out and wait some more but its just so hard.

I know it’s so hard to wait it out when you have pain 24/7 that doesn’t seem to ever go! My tooth pain keeps changing and now it is pretty much just up my cheek! So I don’t know if it’s tooth abcessing (nothing showing on X-ray) or facial nerve pain?? I guess time will tell! Try and relax even though it’s hard! I’m the worlds biggest worrier!!! Let us know how it goes?

I know it’s so hard to wait it out when you have pain 24/7 that doesn’t seem to ever go! My tooth pain keeps changing and now it is pretty much just up my cheek! So I don’t know if it’s tooth abcessing (nothing showing on X-ray) or facial nerve pain?? I guess time will tell! Try and relax even though it’s hard! I’m the worlds biggest worrier!!! Let us know how it goes?

Yep, I keep telling myself that I will just give it more time, but not knowing how much time just drives me crazy. I miss the good old days when I could eat a meal without pain...I'd even take being able to drink cold water without worry at this point. I have another post op visit at the end of the month unless I reschedule it. The dentist said I could push it back further if I am feeling better by then. Trying to hold off until then at least. I'll keep you posted and I hope you feel better soon too.

I would say to give it some time. I had a similar situation with a molar as well. Mine was a deep filling. The tooth did not hurt immediately but flared up a couple of months later. I had a deep sharp sensitivity to cold and then later to heat. The pain even seemed to have lingered. I then had jaw aches that radiated to my ear and it hurt to bite on. My dentist did all the requisite tests and the tooth was vital, but she told me that the nerve is starting to die and that there is a 80% chance I would need a root canal down the road.

Long story short, I didn't want a root canal so I decided to wait it out. It took 2 plus odd miserable months for the tooth to sort of settle. Now it feels largely normal but it still "speaks" to me from time to time. So I'd say to wait it out, especially with the work that was done on the tooth, it can get traumatic for the pulp and it would take awhile for it to settle.

I would say to give it some time. I had a similar situation with a molar as well. Mine was a deep filling. The tooth did not hurt immediately but flared up a couple of months later. I had a deep sharp sensitivity to cold and then later to heat. The pain even seemed to have lingered. I then had jaw aches that radiated to my ear and it hurt to bite on. My dentist did all the requisite tests and the tooth was vital, but she told me that the nerve is starting to die and that there is a 80% chance I would need a root canal down the road.

Long story short, I didn't want a root canal so I decided to wait it out. It took 2 plus odd miserable months for the tooth to sort of settle. Now it feels largely normal but it still "speaks" to me from time to time. So I'd say to wait it out, especially with the work that was done on the tooth, it can get traumatic for the pulp and it would take awhile for it to settle.

Thank you for this. And yes, the work was quite extensive especially where I have the crown. I probably should have kept the temp one on a little longer to give myself time to heal but it was causing me a lot of grief with my bite. Anyway, it's good to hear from someone that it is possible to recover even if it takes a long time. I just hope I will be back to normal before my vacation in 4 months. My dentist wants me to get my wisdom teeth out but actually suggested waiting a while now since I am taking so long to recover. My mouth needs a break! But I'm definitely not getting that done until AFTER my trip.

Thank you for this. And yes, the work was quite extensive especially where I have the crown. I probably should have kept the temp one on a little longer to give myself time to heal but it was causing me a lot of grief with my bite. Anyway, it's good to hear from someone that it is possible to recover even if it takes a long time. I just hope I will be back to normal before my vacation in 4 months. My dentist wants me to get my wisdom teeth out but actually suggested waiting a while now since I am taking so long to recover. My mouth needs a break! But I'm definitely not getting that done until AFTER my trip.

Ugh! I take that back. I called (well, my husband called) the dentist yesterday morning just to inquire if I should move my appointment up or not and described my symptoms. My usual dentist was out of the office yesterday, but gave me the choice of seeing another dentist in the practice for a quick check up or he would go into the office early the next day to see me. I feel bad for bugging him so often so I went to see the other dentist. Let's just say I didn't really 'click' with this other dentist. I'm sure he's perfectly fine and others have given him good reviews but my usual dentist is so much more soft spoken and less intimidating. Anyway, after taking additional xrays, pictures, and seeing my gums that are apparently inflamed again, I've been put on a course of antibiotics and they now think that it's my wisdom teeth creating pressure on my molars. Are you kidding me? The dentist said that new dental work can irritate the wisdom teeth and the nerves around them putting pressure on the other teeth and causing such things as the jaw pain and sensitivity. I just about screamed when the dentist suggested I eat soft food for a few days and enjoy things such as milkshakes (despite the fact that I spent the whole visit explaining how cold stuff makes me want to punch a hole in the wall). Also, as I've stated a hundred times before I have been eating soft food for over a month. Sadly I've only lost one pound due to this whole ordeal thanks to my incredibly slow metabolism.

So I was referred to an oral surgeon for a consultation asap, which is next week. I also go back to see my usual dentist next week. The dentist said that best case scenario it's my wisdom teeth that need to come out and not something else. Oh goodie. I just really hope I don't have to have this done before my trip, because that would be the second 'culinary' type prepaid summer trip that will be completely ruined as a result. And then my fear is that removing the wisdom teeth won't resolve the initial problem and I'll still be living in hell for who knows how long.

I really hate myself for putting all of this off for so long. And I really hate my parents for never taking care of me when I was growing up. :redface:

Back