• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New night guard causing pain-stop wearing it?

M

MountainMama

I got a new upper night guard on Tuesday. It was really tight and I couldn’t get it off easily but the dental assistant said that was how it was supposed to be. I wore it that night and the next morning my upper teeth on the left were a little sore. It faded pretty quickly.
Yesterday morning my teeth on the left were even more sore. It took about an hour before the tenderness went away.
Last night, I woke up with mild pain a few times, but in the lower left molars (one a new implant). This morning I could barely get the nightguard out as the upper left were so tender. They still are bruised feeling more than an hour after I took it out. I can’t chew on that side and even pressure from my lips hurts.
My dentist is closed today. Do I stop wearing it over the weekend until I can get hold of them? I have my old one, which is really loose but still functional.

I had a similar issue with my current night guard. Getting it in was fine, it hurt when I wore it, and taking it out was horrendous. I actually stuck with my old one until it was practically falling apart rather than wear it. I didn't want to bother the dentist as we still have restrictions due to Covid, so what really helped was filing it down in some parts with an emery board to ease off the really tight bits - but if your dentist is operating normally they can probably do the same thing with a tool in about two minutes!

It sounds like it needs adjusting, I'd probably get the dentist to do it or else take it to Judy :)

Okay, thanks! I will call Monday and see if they can get me in. I can wear my old one until then. My teeth are just now starting to feel normal again!

I had a similar issue with my current night guard. Getting it in was fine, it hurt when I wore it, and taking it out was horrendous. I actually stuck with my old one until it was practically falling apart rather than wear it. I didn't want to bother the dentist as we still have restrictions due to Covid, so what really helped was filing it down in some parts with an emery board to ease off the really tight bits - but if your dentist is operating normally they can probably do the same thing with a tool in about two minutes!
Good to know it probably just needs adjustment. My dentist has no restrictions, just masks and temperature checks at the door. He is just not open on Fridays. I will call Monday. My bite is so off that I am worried if I do it myself I will mess it up further!

I was just able to get in today. The dentist said he can tell the left side is going on tighter than the right. He said he could make all kinds of adjustments and still not fix the problem so he had the assistant rescan my teeth and he is ordering a new nightguard.

Back