• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

OMG i did it!!!!

G

glitterbabe71

well im still shaking ,, but i emailed a dentist last week they emailed me back ,,, saying to ring them ... its taken me all morning but i did it and im still shaking now ,,, i have made an appt for this Tuesday coming hubby has the week off so hes able to take me... i explained all my fears to the lady on the phone and she was so nice asked me if i wanted to see a male or female ,, so im seeing lady ......ohh i kept mixing up my words and all sorts ,,, something im a little confused about she asked if i was on any benefits or not i said no then she said i would be paying standard charges ,, then said i would have to pay £50 this would be for xrays ect and if treatment was needed this would be taken off the cost .. i havent gone private have i :redface: im all confused this is the practice that ive joined alexandra road dental practice

sarah

Well done you:jump::jump: not sure if you have gone private might be worth calling them to check lol
I just looked at their website and saw this..........Some forms of treatment including cosmetic dentistry, mouth guards, tooth coloured fillings in back teeth or certain crowns on back teeth are not available under the N.H.S. and you may choose to have these done privately. We are happy to discuss the options with you.

So its possible it is NHS its not a totally private dental surgery

Julie

Sarah,

That £50 quote doesn't immediately make sense if they are treating you under the NHS, and their website suggests fairly strongly that they are mainly ( but not exclusively ) an NHS practise. It might make more sense if they already know that you require fillings/extractions, but I can't see how they can be sure of that if they've never met you. Of course, as you are nervous it's possible that you weren't totally taking in what they were telling you on the phone. But if you're concerned, and if you can face speaking to them again:scared:, there would be no harm in clarifying everything before you go.

John

Well done you:jump::jump: not sure if you have gone private might be worth calling them to check lol
I just looked at their website and saw this..........Some forms of treatment including cosmetic dentistry, mouth guards, tooth coloured fillings in back teeth or certain crowns on back teeth are not available under the N.H.S. and you may choose to have these done privately. We are happy to discuss the options with you.

So its possible it is NHS its not a totally private dental surgery

Julie

Thanks Julie yeah i saw that part ,,i did waffle on a bit to the lady i did tell her i hadnt been in over 20 years and that my teeth were a mess :redface: will try and call again or email them lol

thanks

sarah

Sarah,

That £50 quote doesn't immediately make sense if they are treating you under the NHS, and their website suggests fairly strongly that they are mainly ( but not exclusively ) an NHS practise. It might make more sense if they already know that you require fillings/extractions, but I can't see how they can be sure of that if they've never met you. Of course, as you are nervous it's possible that you weren't totally taking in what they were telling you on the phone. But if you're concerned, and if you can face speaking to them again:scared:, there would be no harm in clarifying everything before you go.

John

Thanks John i think maybe i wasnt taking it all in i was like a jelly on the phone :scared:.. im gonna try phoning again if not i can email them

thanks

sarah

Well done! :jump:

I've just looked over their website and they sound rather good. I like the fact that they care that you will see the same person each time, thats going to allow you to build up a relationship with them. Also they welcome children, this means that they are used to dealing with nervous/scared people. My own dentist originally specialized in children's teeth and she has a fantastic amount of patience with me which I'm sure comes from dealing with children.

Sarah

I was just standing there making a bread pudding when I had a thought (as you do lol) Even though they have said about the £50 it could still probably be NHS. When I had all my extractions a few weeks ago, I had to be referred to another dental surgery as it had to be done by sedation. After the consultation they wanted £40 from me even though it was NHS, this was just in case I didn't turn up for or cancel the appointment. It was given back on the day of extractions, so maybe your surgery has had so many patients not go for appointment they do they same, then the time and cost of xrays etc is covered

Julie

Sarah

I was just standing there making a bread pudding when I had a thought (as you do lol) Even though they have said about the £50 it could still probably be NHS. When I had all my extractions a few weeks ago, I had to be referred to another dental surgery as it had to be done by sedation. After the consultation they wanted £40 from me even though it was NHS, this was just in case I didn't turn up for or cancel the appointment. It was given back on the day of extractions, so maybe your surgery has had so many patients not go for appointment they do they same, then the time and cost of xrays etc is covered

Julie

Hi Julie yeah thats what i was thinking i do remember her saying something like you do get the money taken back from bill or something ,.,,,, thanks again .. i still havent phoned up :redface: will just wait and see what happens Tuesday :)

Sarah

It maybe similar to when I first went to my dentist before the hospital.

When I first when I had to pay the £45.60 but as they didn't do the treatment other than x-rays (I was referred to access centre) they refunded some so I only paid £16.50.

I think it is so you are covered for work you need without paying charges twice, if no work is needed they will refund so you only pay £16.50 and if more is needed you will pay the balance to the maximum £198. I still haven't paid anything but as it says below they can ask for the payment at anytime.

Here is the NHS info which may help if you phone them to clarify:

The three NHS charge bands are as follows:
  • Band 1: £16.50. This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
  • Band 2: £45.60. This charge includes all the necessary treatment covered by the £16.50 charge, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment or extractions.
  • Band 3: £198. This charge includes all the necessary treatment that is covered by the £16.50 and £45.60 charges, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.
Dental treatment costs explained

If, within two months of completing a course of treatment, you require further treatment within the same charge band or a lower charge band, e.g. an additional filling, you don't have to pay anything extra.
However, if you need further dental treatment after two months of completing an earlier course of treatment, you will have to pay an additional charge.
If your initial treatment is classed as a separate, urgent treatment, it may not be included in any subsequent course of treatment that you require. For urgent dental treatment (including out-of-hours treatment), you will have to pay a separate charge of £16.50.
You will not have to pay for:
  • denture repairs,
  • the removal of stitches, or
  • if your dentist has to stop blood loss.
There is also no charge if your dentist only has to write out a prescription. However, if you pay for prescriptions, you will have to pay the usual prescription charge when you collect your medicines from the pharmacist.

Referral to another dentist

If you're referred to another dentist to complete the treatment, you will still only pay one charge. For NHS dentistry, this will be £16.50, £45.60, or £198. You will pay the full amount to the dentist who refers you.
If you are referred to a private dentist (and you accept this option) you will:
  • pay the appropriate NHS band charge to the dentist who referred you, and
  • pay a fee for the dental work that is carried out by the private dentist who you are referred to.
Hope that helps.

Chrissie

Well done! :jump:

I've just looked over their website and they sound rather good. I like the fact that they care that you will see the same person each time, thats going to allow you to build up a relationship with them. Also they welcome children, this means that they are used to dealing with nervous/scared people. My own dentist originally specialized in children's teeth and she has a fantastic amount of patience with me which I'm sure comes from dealing with children.

Thankyou .....Yes thats just what i thought too when i looked at the website and the fact that the lady on the phone asked if i wanted to see male/female dentist and what who i would feel more comfortable seeing ... and as you say also seeing the same the dentist :)

It maybe similar to when I first went to my dentist before the hospital.

When I first when I had to pay the £45.60 but as they didn't do the treatment other than x-rays (I was referred to access centre) they refunded some so I only paid £16.50.

I think it is so you are covered for work you need without paying charges twice, if no work is needed they will refund so you only pay £16.50 and if more is needed you will pay the balance to the maximum £198. I still haven't paid anything but as it says below they can ask for the payment at anytime.

Here is the NHS info which may help if you phone them to clarify:

The three NHS charge bands are as follows:
  • Band 1: £16.50. This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
  • Band 2: £45.60. This charge includes all the necessary treatment covered by the £16.50 charge, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment or extractions.
  • Band 3: £198. This charge includes all the necessary treatment that is covered by the £16.50 and £45.60 charges, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.
Dental treatment costs explained

If, within two months of completing a course of treatment, you require further treatment within the same charge band or a lower charge band, e.g. an additional filling, you don't have to pay anything extra.
However, if you need further dental treatment after two months of completing an earlier course of treatment, you will have to pay an additional charge.
If your initial treatment is classed as a separate, urgent treatment, it may not be included in any subsequent course of treatment that you require. For urgent dental treatment (including out-of-hours treatment), you will have to pay a separate charge of £16.50.
You will not have to pay for:
  • denture repairs,
  • the removal of stitches, or
  • if your dentist has to stop blood loss.
There is also no charge if your dentist only has to write out a prescription. However, if you pay for prescriptions, you will have to pay the usual prescription charge when you collect your medicines from the pharmacist.

Referral to another dentist

If you're referred to another dentist to complete the treatment, you will still only pay one charge. For NHS dentistry, this will be £16.50, £45.60, or £198. You will pay the full amount to the dentist who refers you.
If you are referred to a private dentist (and you accept this option) you will:
  • pay the appropriate NHS band charge to the dentist who referred you, and
  • pay a fee for the dental work that is carried out by the private dentist who you are referred to.
Hope that helps.

Chrissie

;D Thankyou so much Chrissie that explains alot thankyou for taking the time to do this i appricate it thankyou

Sarah