• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain and eating after getting two wisdom teeth out?

J

jordana

I went for my x-ray today because my lower wisdom tooth has been bothering me since saturday night. They said I should be getting the right upper and lower taken out. A couple years ago,I had only 1 taken out,but now its 2 and its on the same side. Im scared. What am I allowed to eat after I get it done and for how long the pain will be there?

Generally you can eat soft food and the pain starts improving after a week. In a couple of weeks the swelling should be gone as should the pain.

I hurt eating strawberries for about a year. The vibration of biting into one so how hurt my sockets... I was in middle school. However all four were removed and it went fine.

If it's two on the same side, then you still will be having the other side to eat. Many people start with soft foods first (you can find many soft food ideas here), but this is more about how comfortable you feel afterwards and how well can you bite. Everyone differs in how quickly they recover. Your body will let you know. I was eating pizza at the same evening of the removal of 4 wisdom teeth and didn't do soft foods at all but rather ate carefully and slowly. Wasn't much fun, but was possible :grin:

what about maccorni and cheese,perogies,pop?

what about maccorni and cheese,perogies,pop?

Ultimately you eat what you like... just try and keep the sockets clean and not get a bunch of food debris in there. Discuss the post-op instructions before the procedure, and they will give you written take-home instructions.

is perogies and tortollni ok to eat?

I'd never heard of perogies before and had to Google them - they look quite soft? So yeah, why not (unless you're a sucker for punishment like @Enarete and enjoy munching on a crunchy pizza right after your wizzie removal :o :p). By torollni I presume you mean tortellini? or something else?

For anyone else who's wondering what a pierogi is, here's a wikipedia link with piccies:

ya sorry,and yes i do. what about bread with seeds?

is oatmeal ok? pizza? when can i start eating normally again?

am i allowed to have maccorni and cheese tomorrow?

Have you emailed your provider? Mac and Cheese is soft and probably okay. I ate oatmeal when I had mine out decades ago, so it is probably okay.

You don’t want hot, crunchy, spicy or anything that will hurt. You also don’t want a bunch of debris in the socket.

Use care and common sense also read your take home instructionsand or contact the provider.

sorry about all the questions,but I have never had them out before,so I'm not really sure and my dentist never gave me a list of when I can start eating normally again?

sorry about all the questions,but I have never had them out before,so I'm not really sure and my dentist never gave me a list of when I can start eating normally again?

Contact your dentist and ask is the proper advice for one of us to give you.

I guess that‘s the nature of wisdom teeth. Nobody had them out before and as healing is a highly individual thing, nobody can give you guarantees or time plans. You can be like me and eating whatever you want pretty quickly, you might feel like prefering to stick with mashy soft foods for few days or you might feel like sticking with it for a week. I see you asked about pain too in your first post. Any discomfort is manageable with over the counter pain killers which you might need for two or three days after the procedure. I can‘t remember having any pain (and again, I had 4 out at once). You mentioned you had one tooth out in the past. I was wondering how did that go back then?

Back