• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Problems since first dentist visit and begin brushing in years. Will I survive?

M

Michael14

Problems since first dentist visit and begin brushing in years. Will I survive?

Have a feeling dental questions answered was the wrong place for this but It can't wait so here it is:

Long story short. (never mind it turned out long anyway)
1 I'm afraid of the dentist and have nasty anxiety
2 my checkup revealed 4 fillings and an extraction but x-rays could reveal more.
3 since the appointment on thurday and a bit before my teeth have been going mental.
4 I recently started brushing (started few days before my appointment) and was moved up to duraphat 5000
5 since using it, I'm noticing many more sensitivities and irritations.

Could I get back to my dentist before Christmas to check nothing is more serious and possibly get an extraction appointment and brave having it done before Christmas since I think my tooth that needs extracting is close if not already infected due to daily irritations especially towards evening into night. Any ideas on managing the pains and irritations. Am I just over thinking this. Will it all settle. Is my nerve exposed on the tooth that needs extracting. Is that serious. Am I just noticing stuff that's always been there but been uncovered since I started brushing and if so, does that. Mean it's okay until after Christmas.

I'm getting sensations of pressure, pain sharp feelings and other stuff in different areas while typing this so someone please help kill this anxiety hype. I get pressure under my tooth for extraction, pain under another when buying down. Pain in the general area of the others and almost like an itching irritation everywhere else.

I suppose my headline question is will I be okay though Christmas when there's no help out there. I think I'm just focusing heavily on mild pains from years of no checkups or brushing that have been there ages and are just getting used to the brushing or something minor. But my anxiety is keeping up its tradition of over thinking and over analysing everything and asking every what if under the sun and picking the worst case scenario because it can.
BRAINWAVE: would they mind if I went in just for to ask some questions and get advice to keep my anxiety at bay and maybe recommend some things to help.

Sorry for so many questions and ending them with dots and any dodgy spelling. On my phone and incredibly Stressed so I'm well aware this post is a mess but my grammar isn't that high on my list of priorities.

My first post here so not even sure if this is the right place for it. I have visited here a few times before but need some more personal advice so thank you in advance. I hope this community can help me as much as I have seen it help others.

Re: Problems since first dentist visit and begin brushing in years. Will I survive?

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

1. The more you go to the dentist and get a trust built up with them it will get easier and you won't feel as anxious.

2. There's not much to say on that one.

3. We tend to concentrate more and stress ourselves out when we know we need to face treatment.

4. The toothpaste you have been prescribed is very good and will help with the sensitivity. It would help if you could use floss also. Your gums will bleed because not brushing causes them to become soft. Quite quickly your gums will toughen back up and you will feel an improvement.

5. Things feel as if they are getting worse but things will feel better after the initial period of your mouth adjusting to the new regime.

If your dentist has an appointment free you could go back and ask them to put your mind at rest, but I think if there was anything urgent they would have treated it before Christmas. There is help out there if you suffer any problems over the holidays. If you are in the UK there are walk in centres and they can see you in a real emergency. You could also try rinsing with a warm salt water rinse after eating, this will help. Just put a teaspoon of salt in warm water and swish away.

When you ask things in the dental questions area of the forum it can take a bit longer for a reply because the dentists that come on here are not on all the time. They are working dentists and are good enough to help us all in the time they can.

I hope you can manage to relax a bit and enjoy your Christmas, feel free if you need to ask anything else or just want to get a load off. Merry Christmas :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::butterfly:

Re: Problems since first dentist visit and begin brushing in years. Will I survive?

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

1. The more you go to the dentist and get a trust built up with them it will get easier and you won't feel as anxious.

2. There's not much to say on that one.

3. We tend to concentrate more and stress ourselves out when we know we need to face treatment.

4. The toothpaste you have been prescribed is very good and will help with the sensitivity. It would help if you could use floss also. Your gums will bleed because not brushing causes them to become soft. Quite quickly your gums will toughen back up and you will feel an improvement.

5. Things feel as if they are getting worse but things will feel better after the initial period of your mouth adjusting to the new regime.

If your dentist has an appointment free you could go back and ask them to put your mind at rest, but I think if there was anything urgent they would have treated it before Christmas. There is help out there if you suffer any problems over the holidays. If you are in the UK there are walk in centres and they can see you in a real emergency. You could also try rinsing with a warm salt water rinse after eating, this will help. Just put a teaspoon of salt in warm water and swish away.

When you ask things in the dental questions area of the forum it can take a bit longer for a reply because the dentists that come on here are not on all the time. They are working dentists and are good enough to help us all in the time they can.

I hope you can manage to relax a bit and enjoy your Christmas, feel free if you need to ask anything else or just want to get a load off. Merry Christmas :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::butterfly:

Thanks :) Reassurance was all i needed. I over react very heavily to the slightest thing, and that only seems to exacerbate the issues every time. I have a minor cold at the moment and my sinuses arent that good at keeping clear so im probably just over analysing everything. Again, thanks for the reassurance :)

You are most welcome :) I can do the same expecting the worst. I am glad you are feeling better, a cold always gets my gums irritated :xmas::Rudolph::Santa::xmastree::butterfly:

Back