• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about bridge impressions

  • Thread starter Thread starter swampiesue
  • Start date Start date
S

swampiesue

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
300
Hi as you may know I have had a few problems with my new bridge over the past few months... A friend of mine had her impressions done for her new bridge today and top and bottom teeth impressions were taken I only had top impressions done..

My question is what is the norm.....surely top and bottom impressions would be needed to get a good Idea of what would be required for a correct bite...

Hope this makes sense, it is getting late and I have a shocking headache :sleepy:
 
You're right, they would need a top and a bottom impression. Did they use a tray that had impression material on both sides and you had to bite down? If so, then they got the top and bottom impressions at the same time. Did they have a previous cast of your opposite arch? If so, then only the top impression could have been taken and they could have used the older model as the opposing cast.
 
Thanks for your prompt reply Decan... yes it was one I had to bite on...in that case that rules out that idea of a solution as to why it is such a bad bridge... Thanks again :)
 
I have just had a further thought... if the impression was taken top at the bottom at the same time and my bite was slightly wrong at the time... would this not have thrown the whole thing out...

The reason I ask is that since my teeth were ground down my teeth on the other side have been slipping out of position on my other bridge. To the point that the top teeth are overlapping the bottom teeth very slightly When the impressions were taken the teeth had been ground down for the new bridge and there were no other teeth on that side to make sure I kept the right bite... I remember biting down very very hard and it would be very easy for my teeth on the other side to have slipped in to much the same position as they are now...I am not sure if I was numb as well as I had also had a filling..


Would this have thrown the bite on the new bridge to the point it would have caused all the problems I have been having... Thread : ( my year of dental hell).
 
Not really, it's usually possible to work out the "correct" bite just from looking at the plaster models.
 
Thanks Gordon...

I have a dental appointment tomorrow and where as I had decided to just give it all time to calm down, I have noticed one of my lower teeth that is slightly out of line keeps hitting my left hand side bridge above and the bite on that side seems to have moved to the right slightly indicating my jaw lower jaw has relaxed inwardly slightly. I DO NOT under any circumstances want to jeopardize the bridge and teeth on that side....as well as my horror bride on the other side.

Guess I was trying to to see if it was my fault for not biting down on the impressions properly and I would be able to come up with a solution...I know he thinks I am a complete pain but it is not my fault all this has gone wrong I was willing to walk around with a bridge that was far too big for me before all this pain and sensitivity started....

But god I am so scared about tommorow...[smiley=hiding.gif]
 
Last edited:
Well I did it I went, my dentist still thinks all my troubles are down to my grinding and clenching so am having a night guard made. Please tell me my bite will seem normal again and the pain in my bridge will hopefully go away...:(:(:( I can't afford any more mistakes...
 
Oh and one other thing will it stop my teeth catching my bridge on the other side and making it rock slightly *:'( when I eat.....
 
This is really tough to comment on without looking in your mouth or at models to look at how you bite. If you're really unsure, seek a consult from a prosthodontist.
 
I take it you can only go one of those privately Decan ? Oh why did I ever get this bridge done....
 
Hi there, my son in Law also owns a Dental Lab,However he does not make bridges and crowns, I have not had chance to speak to him at yet with regards to all this. Thanks for the information on the dental trays it did wonder.... My dentist will not make me another bridge and believes this is a grinding problem...so I will have to hold on that one thanks.
 
Back
Top