• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

RCT tomorrow. So scared!!

T

TKB1974

If anyone wants to send a good thought my way, I’d greatly appreciate it. I get my first ever RCT treatment tomorrow morning & I'm absolutely petrified. I’m so scared that she will hit a nerve and/or not get me totally numb & there will be pain (which is what lead to my extreme fear of dentists so many years ago). I just needed to get this off of my chest as I am a hot mess today in anticipation of tomorrow. I just wish I could go to sleep & wake up with everything over and done with! The $700 out of pocket cost I’ll have to pay tomorrow (with insurance!) to fix one tooth isn’t helping my anxiety either, especially since I’m starting to feel pain in another (lower) molar & I’m afraid I’ll be going down this same road again soon. ?

Good luck! I'm sure you will smash it and feel much better afterwards. I have an appointment with hygienist Wednesday then after that I start my treatment of 6 fillings and 2-3 extractions. I'm absolutely terrified.

Anyway, tomorrow will be all done and over with before you know it :) keep your chin up.

Good luck! I'm sure you will smash it and feel much better afterwards. I have an appointment with hygienist Wednesday then after that I start my treatment of 6 fillings and 2-3 extractions. I'm absolutely terrified.

Anyway, tomorrow will be all done and over with before you know it :) keep your chin up.
Thanks so much! I keep reminding myself that at this time tomorrow, this first part will be over with. I have my big cleaning & exam on 4/21, after which I should know the rest of my treatment plan. I’m not looking forward to it at all, but it has to be done.
Best wishes for a smooth appointment for you on Wednesday! I’m sure as scary and nerve wracking as it is, you’ll feel good taking care of things. ❤️

If anyone wants to send a good thought my way, I’d greatly appreciate it. I get my first ever RCT treatment tomorrow morning & I'm absolutely petrified. I’m so scared that she will hit a nerve and/or not get me totally numb & there will be pain (which is what lead to my extreme fear of dentists so many years ago). I just needed to get this off of my chest as I am a hot mess today in anticipation of tomorrow. I just wish I could go to sleep & wake up with everything over and done with! The $700 out of pocket cost I’ll have to pay tomorrow (with insurance!) to fix one tooth isn’t helping my anxiety either, especially since I’m starting to feel pain in another (lower) molar & I’m afraid I’ll be going down this same road again soon. ?

Good luck for tomorrow! I’m sure it will be fine and go well. They have good techniques for numbing these days. I have had a RCT and the recovery from it was fine too.

Good luck for today! Would you feel comfortable sharing your fear with your dentist? If they know that this worries you, they can make sure to pay extra attention to getting you properly numb before they start.
RCT really isn't different than a longer, more boring filling. You got this!

Good luck for today! Would you feel comfortable sharing your fear with your dentist? If they know that this worries you, they can make sure to pay extra attention to getting you properly numb before they start.
RCT really isn't different than a longer, more boring filling. You got this!
Hello! I did let the endodontist know that I’m extremely fearful of not being properly numb. It seems, based on her reviews and my dentist’s recommendation, that she’s very gentle and caring. I hope she’s good with numbing, too! 2 hours and counting...?

Leaving for my appointment in 15 minutes. So nervous/anxious! Racing heart and feeling a bit sick to my stomach. Ugh! Nerves!

Best thing you can do is communicate what you're feeling with your dentist. Tell her that you're nervous. Tell her you haven't been properly numbed in the past and that you're afraid to not be fully numb. When they know these things, they can accommodate you better! She will most likely give you extra numbing just to be sure. If for some reason you do feel pain don't hesitate to have her stop immediately and give you more numbing. Don't be afraid to speak up! A good dentist isn't bothered by it one bit. They want you to be comfortable.
Ive had 4 root canals. I was a nervous wreck before them for many different reasons but None of them were painful at all. I had no issues during the procedures. I was nervous for nothing. You will be totally fine!

Made it to the parking lot. T minus 10 minutes. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

Made it to the parking lot. T minus 10 minutes. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

You can do it! Good luck and see you back here very soon!

I did it! I did it! I was a shaking mess, but everyone was so kind & caring. The procedure took about an hour. Unfortunately, an old, broken molar (on the bottom) also needs a root canal but I’m waiting until 4/19 to have that done. Baby steps. Thank you all for the encouragement. The worst part of everything was the sound of the drilli- no pain whatsoever! I’m so glad that I’m making progress! 2nd RTC on 4/19 & dental cleaning 4/21. I will also have to get crowns put on these teeth, but for some reason I feel less worried about that.

I did it! I did it! I was a shaking mess, but everyone was so kind & caring. The procedure took about an hour. Unfortunately, an old, broken molar (on the bottom) also needs a root canal but I’m waiting until 4/19 to have that done. Baby steps. Thank you all for the encouragement. The worst part of everything was the sound of the drilli- no pain whatsoever! I’m so glad that I’m making progress! 2nd RTC on 4/19 & dental cleaning 4/21. I will also have to get crowns put on these teeth, but for some reason I feel less worried about that.
Yaaay!!! That's awesome that you were scared and still showed up! You got through it and I'm sure it helped you build up some trust in your dentist. Every step matters and this was a big step! Good luck on the next steps on your dental journey

Well done ? glad it went much better than you thought it would. This is where your facing up to your fear and it will soon become a routine like having your hair cut, only once a year for a checkup maybe ? I'm scared to hell to start my treatment but then also excited to finally get all my teeth sorted after years of watching how and which side I eat certain foods on along with pain.

Hi hello!! Any updates?

Hi hello!! Any updates?

I’ve now had two root canals & both went better than I could’ve expected. I was absolutely petrified (as you could probably tell based on my posts) leading up to the procedure(s), but it was honestly a piece of cake. Both root canals took about an hour start to finish (two separate visits). No problems during or after the procedures. No pain at all. Thanks for checking in. ?

I’ve now had two root canals & both went better than I could’ve expected. I was absolutely petrified (as you could probably tell based on my posts) leading up to the procedure(s), but it was honestly a piece of cake. Both root canals took about an hour start to finish (two separate visits). No problems during or after the procedures. No pain at all. Thanks for checking in. ?
First of, I’d like to say yayyy! I’m so happy for you!
And secondly THANK YOU for replying :)
I need to get a crown replaced but my dentist said I could possibly end up needing a root canal. I’m terrified:( but I have hope now!

First of, I’d like to say yayyy! I’m so happy for you!
And secondly THANK YOU for replying :)
I need to get a crown replaced but my dentist said I could possibly end up needing a root canal. I’m terrified:( but I have hope now!
I think the best advice I can give is to just let your dentist/endodontist know what you’re fearful of/anxious about. For me, I was so afraid of pain. I’d had issues in the past with getting fully numb, which in turn lead to my massive dental anxiety. I was very, very clear about this with both my dentist and endodontist and they were so kind, gentle & empathetic. Dental care can really be painless and (dare I say) pleasant. Wishing you the very best. This is really the best place for support! Please let us know how it goes for you. ❤️

I think the best advice I can give is to just let your dentist/endodontist know what you’re fearful of/anxious about. For me, I was so afraid of pain. I’d had issues in the past with getting fully numb, which in turn lead to my massive dental anxiety. I was very, very clear about this with both my dentist and endodontist and they were so kind, gentle & empathetic. Dental care can really be painless and (dare I say) pleasant. Wishing you the very best. This is really the best place for support! Please let us know how it goes for you. ❤
I have government insurance.
the dentist office I go to is a big corporate but..
I’ve mentioned it over and over again to my dentist how much anxiety I get. I sometimes can’t sleep just thinking about dental work.
she wants to remove my top wisdom teeth and when I mentioned how sick to my stomach I get thinking about it along with the anxiety and blood pressure raising she said
“We don’t put people to sleep to do this” “we save that for people who truly need it”
And after she said that I hated going back.
I was wrapped in a burrito as a kid twice. Once for busting open my lip. Another for dental work. So this is something that abs traumatized me. I wish more dentist cared.

I have government insurance.
the dentist office I go to is a big corporate but..
I’ve mentioned it over and over again to my dentist how much anxiety I get. I sometimes can’t sleep just thinking about dental work.
she wants to remove my top wisdom teeth and when I mentioned how sick to my stomach I get thinking about it along with the anxiety and blood pressure raising she said
“We don’t put people to sleep to do this” “we save that for people who truly need it”
And after she said that I hated going back.
I was wrapped in a burrito as a kid twice. Once for busting open my lip. Another for dental work. So this is something that abs traumatized me. I wish more dentist cared.
Sending calming, peaceful vibes. I’m sorry sorry you’ve had those experiences. I truly do understand your fear and anxiety & I wish all dentists were as caring as the one I have now. I don’t take her for granted, that’s for sure.