• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really anxious day 5 post molar extraction!

H

hannah89

Molar extraction carried out Monday (5 days ago)
Given antibiotics yesterday and packed with the medicated gauze!
Still in real pain with this. The teeth next to it and my front teeth still hurt! The site throbs if I don’t keep up with constant ibuprofen and paracetomol but that’s now making me nauseous!
Does this look normal or should I go back today?

Attachments

• 3A1B51F7-9C6D-465E-BAEC-CF6C85260683.png
    3A1B51F7-9C6D-465E-BAEC-CF6C85260683.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 19
There's nothing much more that can be done just now, give the antibiotics time to work.
If you can take them, aspirin is a better pain killer than either of the other 2.

@Gordon thank you! Is it normal to still be in so much pain 5 days later? I’ve not had any improvement since having it out yet :(! The dentist said yesterday it was healing nicely underneath so I can’t understand why it’s still so painful!

Sometimes a dry socket is worse than the actual toothache in the first place. It will improve but it's going to take a wee while. Sorry.

@Gordon sorry for the vile photo but still no improvement today and it doesn’t look great? I phoned the dentist saying it was still painful and they said to wait til tomorrow when it’s been 3 days of antibitoics and then go back! Surely 6 days after extraction it should look better than this?

Attachments

• 722DA2A4-08AE-4EFC-93A0-40E9E48769D6.jpeg
    722DA2A4-08AE-4EFC-93A0-40E9E48769D6.jpeg
    882.3 KB · Views: 17
Actually it doesn't look too bad, it's still got some of the dry socket dressing in there which makes it look a bit worse, but there's not a lot of inflammation round the sides. What antibiotic are you taking? You might need to switch to a different one.

@Gordon hiya! Thanks for the reply!im on metronidazole! I’ve been back today and had the dressing changed, he took an xray said all looks ok but there is still no cover to the bone! He has aggravated my gum to make it bleed saying that might create a new clot and he’s dressed it again! He said this throbbing pain I’m still having continuously can be normal for a couple of weeks after molar extraction! Does this sound right to you? Thanks

Yes, giving the socket a curette out is usually a good idea. Metronidazole is the antibiotic of choice too.
Sounds like he's doing all the right things to me.