• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal - what is used to keep the mouth open

E

Eulonia

I've heard that something is put in your mouth to keep it open very wide during a root canal procedure. That scares me more than the thought of pain. I can't swallow with my mouth wide open (even if there's no saliva I still have the swallowing reflex). Is this thing absolutely necessary?

Re: Root Canal - what is used to keep the mouth op

Ive had root canal in 4 teeth and nothing was used to keep my mouth open, i done that myself so im not sure that anything is used :confused:

It really isnt that painful, theres just a little sensetivity afterwards but that goes away after a good nights rest :)

That's a relief to hear that. But someone told me that her mouth had to be so wide open that the dentist put something in it so it would stay open really wide. Another person said there was something in her mouth to keep it open in case she got tired???

I think it depends on the dentist to be honest, my previous dentist had problems with me keeping my mouth open because he couldnt work well but that was because he had quite large hands, all he asked me to do from time to time was open wider and that was fine, however my new dentist can work with my mouth as open as wide as i can and she doesnt have any problems.

The only thing I had put in my mouth to keep it open was at the orthodontist and it was placed under my lips to hold them out of the way of the braces, that was only once with an orthodontist that had quite large hands also.

Keep us informed of what happens, all the best :grouphug:

Some dentists like to use a little rubber or plastic "prop" to help support the jaw and keep it open. Some don't, it's really just down to personal preference.

Back