• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sad and Bleeding :(- Long Post

I honestly have no idea what his reaction would be if I brought this up (either in letter form or in person)- maybe he'd be willing to work with me, or maybe he'd just recommend that i go someplace else. No idea.:dunno:

He deserves to know that she has upset you. It is then up to him to decide how to proceed. It could be that you are not the first patient she has upset. He is the decision maker. If he wants to keep you as a patient he will do the cleaning for you.
Occasionally dentists/hygienists behave like this to deliberately 'put off' patients they regard as time-consuming. Only you know if this could possibly apply here. You are now in maintenance mode presumably so not so profitable to them.

If we as nervous patients don't speak up and discuss matters that bother us we can't expect them to read our minds.

I agree with everything that has been said and in particular what brit said about the dentist deserving to know what happened. If nobody speaks up these things will continue to happen.

I would write a very polite letter to the dentist and explain how upset you feel about this appointment you had with the hygienist and state that you feel it has set you back. Also say that you don't feel you could attend another app with this lady but have been highly satisfied with the rest of your treatment by him. :)

Again, a huge thank you to everyone that offered their encouragement and nice comments. I am very grateful that I found this forum last year. :)It truly helps, and I only wish that more of my posts here would be positive ones about how I am getting over my fear instead of these sad ones that reek of cynicism and fear.

I finally contacted a counselor, actually the one I tried back in December (but he was on sabbatical back then). I am going to talk to him this week, specifically about the dental/medical phobia but I am sure other stuff will come up eventually. . .it is difficult for me to see anything objectively in the context of dentists/doctors so I do not know when I am overreacting or letting me fear rule me, or when I should feel 'legitimately' nervous or afraid (I mean legitimately as in "anyone would be nervous/upset").

I am hoping that he'll help me sort some of my feelings out, in regard to my phobia and offer me some new perspectives and suggestions. I am very nervous to go talk to him (he is a doctor after all), but I know that I cannot continue to live in fear of simple, routine dental cleanings and physical check-ups.

Back