• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared about gums

  • Thread starter Thread starter SirBarker
  • Start date Start date
S

SirBarker

Junior member
Joined
Aug 12, 2025
Messages
3
Location
USA
Hello,

I have had a slightly sensitive spot on my gums for a bit. I read online to try some saltwater rinses to reduce inflammation and it does seem to be getting better.

I took a closer look today and noticed that this bump has a line of bumps on it. Is this something to worry about? I had a root canal on the incisor there about 15 years ago.

I had an extremely painful crown replacement on another tooth. about six months back and the thought of going back in scares me.

I have attached the picture for reference.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4424.jpeg
    IMG_4424.jpeg
    946.1 KB · Views: 9
How long have you had it as best you can recall? It looks like it might be viral in nature but really hard to tell from a single photo.
 
@Gordon Maybe a few months?

What type of viral infections could cause this and how could it get resolved?
 
Well if you've had it for months then it's not a virus. I don't think it's anything sinister or likely to cause any issues, so mention it next time you go for a check up.
 
@Gordon Do these pictures give you a better idea of anything? The gums just bumpy? The biggest concern to me is that larger bump between the teeth. My mind obviously jumps to cancer.IMG_4447.jpeg@Gordon IMG_4448.jpeg
 
Tell your mind not to be so daft :-) . Oral cancers do not present like this.
It looks like slight hyperkeratosis a thickening of the normal gingival tissues. There are several causes for this but in your case it's probably a hereditary thing, other causes are long term irritation, such as cheek biting, rough tooth surfaces etc. That's not looking likely in your case though.

As I said, mention it the next time you're in for a check up, your dentist can explore other possible causes with you without needing to go into more personal questions over the internet.
 
Back
Top