• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared and nervous about the implant crowns

M

MountainMama

I know it is completely silly to be worried about the crowns after all I have gone through to get to this point but I cannot turn my brain off from the anxiety.
My biggest worry is with my front tooth and the implant crown not fitting. I hadn’t even realized that could be an issue until the flipper didn’t fit at all. My lower front tooth opposite the extracted upper is pushed forward due to crowding. My front tooth was pushed forward a little. When I got the flipper, I noticed I couldn’t close my teeth because my bottom front tooth hit the back of the flipper tooth fairly low on the tooth. I thought it was swelling and would subside and I couldn’t really talk at that point very well to verbalize my concern.
After a few days, it didn’t change so I went to my dentist. He had to take a lot off the back of the flipper tooth to make it fit.
Then at my cleaning a few weeks ago, the other dentist made a comment about the clearance on the lower right implants being an issue. He said something to the hygienist about how he hoped my dentist had planned for that.
So again, I shouldn’t be worried at this point, but I think it is more the fact of how much I have been through and how disappointing it will be if things don’t fit. Even if they do adjustments, I have such a hard time advocating that it doesn’t feel right. At my cleaning, I had asked the dentist to adjust my nightguard because it was hitting my bottom front tooth. He did and used carbon paper to check. Then he asked me if it felt okay. Even though I could still feel it hitting, I said yes. It was like my mouth wasn’t connected to my brain.

Mountainmoma I feel so bad for you because I know the anxiety is real! I know you have been through so much as I have followed your story. I am not far behind you I am going to get this tooth taken out I think. I have a consult tomorrow. I am thinking of you and I am sure all will turn out just perfect.

p.s. I can also relate to your last sentence. I often to this with these doctors now as I just don't know what to say anymore. I had a permanent crown placed two weeks ago and it turned out there was a huge gap along the gum line. I saw it in his office but did not speak up. I had to leave the office, go home and look then call him back. He had to cut that crown off and pry it loose. I am getting it recrowned but the tooth next to it I think is coming out. Anyhow hang in there I know how hard this has been. A big cyber hug to you for comfort and peace!!!

HI MountainMama,

first of all there is nothing silly about worrying at all. You have been through a lot and your fear about the crowns not fitting comes from the experience of things not fitting in the past. There is no such thing as "should not be worried" - you feel how you feel and that's valid.

Then at my cleaning a few weeks ago, the other dentist made a comment about the clearance on the lower right implants being an issue. He said something to the hygienist about how he hoped my dentist had planned for that.

Reading this I would be worried as well - it must be pretty strange when a dentist comments on YOUR teeth to a hygienist (obviously not to you) and you do not get explained what they mean by that and whether there is anything you can do about it.
As Acheygirl said (and as everyone who ever was nervous knows), it is hard to speak up when you're uncomfortable and even if you do, thinking can be hard and finding the right words as well. I can see how you said it was ok while it wasn't.

Have you thought of getting in touch with your practice and voice your worries? This might allow them to either explain to you what they have done to make sure the crowns would fit or to see whether there is something they could do to minimize the risk of your fears coming true. You are a customer and you deserve to get a service and product you are happy with.

All the best wishes

p.s. I can also relate to your last sentence. I often to this with these doctors now as I just don't know what to say anymore. I had a permanent crown placed two weeks ago and it turned out there was a huge gap along the gum line. I saw it in his office but did not speak up. I had to leave the office, go home and look then call him back. He had to cut that crown off and pry it loose. I am getting it recrowned but the tooth next to it I think is coming out. Anyhow hang in there I know how hard this has been. A big cyber hug to you for comfort and peace!!!

About ten years ago, I had a crown placed, on a broken upper 2nd molar. It was a horrible experience. The lab had made the crown too big and instead of fitting it to check, the dentist just cemented it on. Then it was way too high. She ground down on the crown all the way to the metal base and it was still too high. So she ground down my molar opposite instead, basically taking all the cusps off. I was terrified and had never had one done before and didn’t know it wasn’t normal. I am so worried that the dentist I have now will want to grind on my lower front tooth to make it fit.

HI MountainMama,

first of all there is nothing silly about worrying at all. You have been through a lot and your fear about the crowns not fitting comes from the experience of things not fitting in the past. There is no such thing as "should not be worried" - you feel how you feel and that's valid.

Reading this I would be worried as well - it must be pretty strange when a dentist comments on YOUR teeth to a hygienist (obviously not to you) and you do not get explained what they mean by that and whether there is anything you can do about it.
As Acheygirl said (and as everyone who ever was nervous knows), it is hard to speak up when you're uncomfortable and even if you do, thinking can be hard and finding the right words as well. I can see how you said it was ok while it wasn't.

Have you thought of getting in touch with your practice and voice your worries? This might allow them to either explain to you what they have done to make sure the crowns would fit or to see whether there is something they could do to minimize the risk of your fears coming true. You are a customer and you deserve to get a service and product you are happy with.

All the best wishes

Well, I tried that last week, but the receptionist said the dentist would see me next week (this week) anyway so I could speak to him then. They are closed on Fridays and I called mid week. So I didn’t get much there. Communication is an issue at this place. The dentist doesn’t do email or messages through Facebook. Last time I scheduled an appointment to talk with him but didn’t have time this time as it takes a few weeks to get in and my appointment (at the time) was Monday. They called and rescheduled it twice since then. I now go in Wednesday.

I should say that my dentist is great to answer questions when I am actually there. Otherwise he is hard to reach. That is one of my issues with this practice. Also, they have hired two new dentists to help with patient load and I can’t say I care much for either one.

I should say that my dentist is great to answer questions when I am actually there. Otherwise he is hard to reach. That is one of my issues with this practice. Also, they have hired two new dentists to help with patient load and I can’t say I care much for either one.

I wish I could give you a hug in person but this is the best I can do here ((((hug))))

I am thinking of you. So very sorry your dealing with this. I had the two root canals also. One is failing and the other I am not sure. They are right next to one another so at times I can't tell what is hurting. Just try and stay calm, epsom salt baths, some magnesium suppliment to help calm the nerves... I have been a bundle of pure anxiety. Like nothing I have ever experienced before. I am trying to keep my immune system healthy but I feel a cold coming on.. and prior to this it would be no big deal but the thought of getting sick while having dental work and in pain...

I know you get it!!! Please hang in there and feel free to message me anytime. I am happy to talk with you also if you need some moral phone support. I think you are also in the USA?

I wish I could give you a hug in person but this is the best I can do here ((((hug))))

I am thinking of you. So very sorry your dealing with this. I had the two root canals also. One is failing and the other I am not sure. They are right next to one another so at times I can't tell what is hurting. Just try and stay calm, epsom salt baths, some magnesium suppliment to help calm the nerves... I have been a bundle of pure anxiety. Like nothing I have ever experienced before. I am trying to keep my immune system healthy but I feel a cold coming on.. and prior to this it would be no big deal but the thought of getting sick while having dental work and in pain...

I know you get it!!! Please hang in there and feel free to message me anytime. I am happy to talk with you also if you need some moral phone support. I think you are also in the USA?

Yes, in the USA. I get you with the illness! My husband has pneumonia right now (getting over it), and my son has had Influenza B (even with a flu shot) and bronchitis just this month! I have been sanitizing every surface in the house daily. Luckily my daughter and I haven’t gotten sick!

All I can say is that a screw retained crown may be fabricated with minimal space.

All I can say is that a screw retained crown may be fabricated with minimal space.
I know the two molar crowns are screw retained but I don’t know about the front tooth.

Mountain Mama.. Sounds like your dentist is so much like mine.. with communication and not doing email/fb.. but being great in person with questions.. its nice but yet.. hard when we'd rather email or somehow communicate in writing.

I know I was so nervous with my final implant crown last time I had one. excited but so nervous.. and is so normal to be..

You are an inspiration and absolutely doing amazing in all this. I hope you get the best crown ever and will be thinking of you tomorrow.! let us know when you get it

Hi, I do so understand your apphension, I am thinking of you and want your crown fittings to go well

Thanks everyone! I go in today at ten.

Thinking of you and praying today!!! :grouphug: Hope it goes really well!!!

Thanks! I think the hour before the appointment is the worst! I am waiting to drive in.

Please keep us posted on how the visit went!

Please keep us posted on how the visit went!
I posted in a new thread. I did not get the front tooth crown but I did get the two molars. The dentist said the front tooth was too light and he didn’t like the metal abutment. He is sending them back and I will get it at the end of March now. He did end up giving me shots to numb everything because it hurt but once he did that it was fine, just a lot of pressure. The molars went in great and he adjusted them. I even ate some spaghetti and meatballs for lunch and a grilled hot dog for dinner, chewing on that side. Not brave enough to try anything harder yet! Lol.