• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared, new dentist tomorrow and molar pain

T

tess456plum

Hi, just needing support from people who understand. I am going to a new dentist tomorrow as my current dentist and staff get impatient even with cleanings, and if I need to have work done I want a dentist who
has more patience. My former dentist was wonderful but we had to move out of state and I had to find a new one.

I have severe clenching at night and always use a night guard, up until recently I used the drug store kind that you boil and fit. I have a lot of tmj pain and have for years. My top left molar has hurt in the past and I had it checked many times and the tooth was fine, my dentist said it was just aggravated by clenching. Two weeks ago I woke up and my jaw was really sore. My molar was very sensitive and hurt to bite on anything. It is less sensitive now but still hurts to bite on anything hard. I’m very worried I broke the tooth and will need a root canal. The tooth is not heat or cold sensitive. I’m hoping some other solution is needed.

Anyway, looking for encouraging words to get me through the appointment.

Last edited:
I know it can be stressful looking for a new dentist and the anxiety is usually worst before the appointment. Hope things went well and you got an answer about what was happening with your molar.

Hi there -
I totally understand your concern about finding a new dentist - it is a pretty big deal.
I can go to any doctor in my health care system, but man - finding a dentist I feel like I can trust completely feels very different.
But - I would say trust your gut and go with someone who works with you and helps you with what you need - you do not need to compromise and get sub-standard care or be made to feel bad about what you need/want - there are a lot of really good dentists out there.
I recently had a dentist retire and then the one who took over was horrible - not my cup of tea. I moved my whole family to a new dentist after doing a lot of research and he has been wonderful.
This was important for me at the time because, like you, I had an ongoing dental issue which required a significant amount of care - and is still in the process of being resolved.
I wish you luck!

Thank you for the encouraging words. You are right, the worry is worse beforehand. I met the new dentist today and she was very patient. I have a loose filling that is causing the problem and will need a crown. I am happy that there are dentists who are willing to work with anxious patients.

Hi,
Well done for making the appointment and sharing your story in this wonderful forum. I truly believe that the only way to overcome dental anxiety is to gain positive experiences at the dental office. In your case, I think your appointment should be short and sweet.
I think you can set two goals in your upcoming appointment: 1) have a proper diagnose 2) immediate relieve in pain. That is easily achievable if the dentist shaved tiny little off the tooth to decrease the pressure it meets when closing the mouth. It takes a few seconds, has hardly any consequences and provides an immediate relief.
With patients who grind/clench their teeth, it is important not to exhaust the joints by keeping the mouth for too long open without support. I suggest you dentist about that issue and see how they address that. I talk more about it in my video:

Hi,
Well done for making the appointment and sharing your story in this wonderful forum. I truly believe that the only way to overcome dental anxiety is to gain positive experiences at the dental office. In your case, I think your appointment should be short and sweet.
I think you can set two goals in your upcoming appointment: 1) have a proper diagnose 2) immediate relieve in pain. That is easily achievable if the dentist shaved tiny little off the tooth to decrease the pressure it meets when closing the mouth. It takes a few seconds, has hardly any consequences and provides an immediate relief.
With patients who grind/clench their teeth, it is important not to exhaust the joints by keeping the mouth for too long open without support. I suggest you dentist about that issue and see how they address that. I talk more about it in my video:

Thank you for your advice and for taking the time to share the video. It is very helpful.

Hello. I wanted to ask anyone who has had a crown how long it takes to prepare the tooth? I will need a filling removed in the molar and decay fixed under a side filling as well. Just wondering how long the actual use of the drill might be.

Thank you.

Back