• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared of getting tooth pulled

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hsrveywallflower
  • Start date Start date
H

Hsrveywallflower

Junior member
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
1
I have a weird hard lump on my upper gum above a tooth. 2 teeth down, I had a root canal over 12 years ago. The root canaled tooth area can be sore sometimes. I will call my dentist Monday but from my online reading, it sounds like most likely the tooth is infected and will need pulled.

My biggest anxiety is that when I had the root canal, I experienced a lot of pain with the procedure. I've had another surgery, a csection and could feel the sharp pain of being cut and had to receive local anesthesia to the area during the surgery.

If I need to have the tooth pulled, can I be put under if I request it? I have a lot of anxiety and it would be better for me to be out than alert. But I don't know if that is a normal practice.

I have been diagnosed with PTSD and I just found the lump today and am already panicking over surgery and pain.

Thank you.
 
Hi,

So sorry to read about your painful dental experiences. It is shameful for the dentists who treated you because avoiding pain is one for the fundamental responsibilities.
Many patients ask to have a tooth extracted under sedation, it is very common and reasonable (provided there are no medical limitations for that). But again, it is possible to have a tooth extracted without filling any pain or discomfort.
 
Back
Top