• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared to death - almost canceling.....

K

KatB

My first appointment in 20+ years is tomorrow -- just for x-rays and the dr. has given me something to relax me (haha - as if that will work). I'm literally petrified. I can't even tell exactly what I'm afraid of -- probably the discovery of some cancer or something -- other than that, I'm fine with whatever they have to do -- evne if they have to pull out all my teeth. I'm about to cancel -- I have no pain so I'm not worried about that -- I just know I HAVE to go -- teeth that fell out years ago (broke) the gum has grown over -- there are a couple that look like black holes and I just dont 'want to hear how "bad " it is -- I don't want to be the worst case the dentist has ever seen. Thanks for listening.

First off, well done on making the appointment to begin with. I honestly think making (and keeping!) my first appointment (in 11 years!) was the hardest for me in my whole “journey” towards better dental health. My story is a bit different in that I had the pain of a bad tooth infection pushing me to go. Long story short, keeping my appointment(s) was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. The feeling of being petrified but going anyway was so empowering. You will not be the “worst they’ve ever seen.” They are there to help you and dental care has really improved in the last 10-15 years. I think you will find that if you push through the fear and anxiety and attend your first appointment, future appointments and treatments WILL get easier. Do I love going to the dentist now? No. I will always been nervous and dislike it, BUT I don’t let the fear consume me anymore. I remind myself that it’s an hour or two out of my life here & there, and I deserve to live without worry and anxiety about my dang teeth 24/7. It is such an incredible relief not to think about my mouth/teeth constantly anymore.Best wishes on your dental journey! You can do it! ❤️

Editing to add: be very upfront with your dentist (preferably prior to your visit) about your dental concerns and fears. I communicated with my dental office about my extreme dental fear & they were so kind, empathetic & compassionate. They never made me feel embarrassed or ashamed- they honestly just wanted to help me & get me out of pain. They’ll never do anything you don’t want, just be open and honest with them.

Thank you. I have found a great office. He met withme once outside of the dental chair to talk about the procedure -I explained my anxiety - and we set up this first x-ray, etc. exam. His office was also great. Unfortunately - does't stop me from being petrified - I cried even reading your response.........

If there's any youtube channels you enjoy watching, might be a good time to try and distract yourself with a binge marathon. Even if you don't get a long rest from the fear, its critical to try for the sake of your mental health. Learned that lesson the hardway myself. When i did my dental journey back in 2014, youtube was the only thing that got me past some days.

I 100% understand how you’re feeling. I honestly was feeling the same way back in March (when the issue that sent me to the dentist began). I cried emailing the office. I cried talking to them on the phone. I cried driving to my appointment. I cried the moment I walked in, etc..etc..etc…
My point is, if you can push through your fear and anxiety, I think you will truly surprise yourself. You will come out on the other side of this realizing you’re stronger and braver than you ever imagined. I promise you, the relief you will feel after going through your first appointment will make everything so worth it! I know you’re so, so scared. I completely understand and your fear is valid, but I can also tell you that I can almost guarantee your experience will be so much better than you’re anticipating & you will feel a million times better after going through with your appointment. It sounds like you’ve already found a really wonderful dentist & honestly, that’s half the battle. ❤️

i felt the same way when i went back to the dentist after about 10 years of not going. I was SO anxious and scared that I would have major problems. I ended up needing an extraction, 2 root canals, and 7 cavities filled. It wasnt as bad as I thought! Its best to find out now and address minor issues before they turn into bigger ones.

My appointment after ten years is Monday and I have thought about not going so many times!! But I know I need a crown for a recent root canal so I have to go unless I want to guarantee that I’ll lose that tooth.

I’ve been telling myself that at least if I go, I can finally know how bad it really is instead of worrying about it. I’m like you, I’m fine with whatever the treatment will be. Just the moment of hearing how bad it is is what is the hardest part. Just remember that once you get that first appointment over with, you won’t have to play a guessing game anymore. You’ll know and you’ll be on your way to getting all fixed up. Good luck!!

Thank you! I can't sleep!! And I took the medicine the dentist gave me to relax the night before!!! Yea, ok!

Wishing you all the best for your appointment today - I'm sure you will be OK. I do go to the dentist regularly but still spend at least a few days beforehand in a very anxious state with trouble sleeping, feeling shaky and tearful, BUT the minute I actually sit in the chair, it all goes away. It's like the anticipation is the worst thing, but when it's actually happening you can cope with it all. Let us know how you get on!

Hope your appointment went as well as could be ❤
My teeth are in a similar state. I'm due to go to the dentist next November but another tooth has broken so I'm ringing them next week for some advice what to do. I've put it off for 2 week out of fear ?

Well done you for making and going to your appointment, the hardest bit is done now. Xx

How did it go at your appointment?

Thank you! I went and had an initial coinsultation - thenI went back for x-rays on last Friday. He told me that the next appointment would be a consultation to "make a plan" so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for asking!

Well done KatB! Glad you haven‘t cancelled. I know it was hard to push yourself through. Your whole body and mind is begging you to cancel and despite that you‘re supposed to go. That‘s just exhausting, but you went anyway. Give yourself a pat on the back and please stay kind to yourself if you find yourself being scared next time.

Thank you!!!!! I'm already scared for next time!!

❤❤ Well done Kat B!
You should be proud of yourself. Just think tho, next time, your another step closer to the smile you want ? stay strong! You can do this.

So hi all -- after my last appointment - for x-rays, etc. the dentist's wonderful receptionist/secretary told me she would email me about a new date/time for a consultation to discuss the necessary work, cost, etc, -- I got the email from her today - and I wanted to share her last paragraph -- to show you that this is why I feel so comfortable here! Here it is:

Let me know if any of those times work or if you'd like me to look further
out on the schedule. So proud of you for getting this far!!

Back