• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Several extractions at once - or one by one?

S

sincitysoul

I had the first of 8-9 teeth pulled back in early August. It was a quick procedure, but the healing and getting back to being comfortable chewing on that side took about two weeks. I’ve had a couple of appointments set up since then to pull a tooth here or there, but due to some medical emergencies, my teeth went on the back burner.

I have a procedure scheduled in December to remove the remaining problematic teeth under sedation at the hospital - but I have been doing some thinking.

Would it be less traumatic to my mouth (and potentially even a shortened healing period) if I just continued on getting a tooth extracted every couple of weeks VS getting it all done at once under the anesthesia?

I’m still keeping the appointment, as one of the teeth that needs removed is a hard one to get to and I’d rather not be awake for it (not to mention the fact that the hospital surgical suites are booked up months in advance) but I also know that taking care of one extraction site is likely easier than taking care of several at once.

Thoughts?

Update: it doesn’t really matter. Apparently, my insurance refused to cover the cost for the procedure, which meant I’d have to pay entirely out-of-pocket and that just isn’t an option right now. The dentist is more than willing to work at my comfort level, even if we only pull one tooth per appointment (and figure fillings out at a later date; I could probably also request some kind of sedative pill, if it came to it)

Back